Pandora Community Website

quartercast

screenshot20110622at137.png

I've just been browsing the maemo website and it just struck me – why haven't we got the same thing going on for our own little device?

They've got an introduction page, repo, wiki, community information page, news and forum unified into a single, vibrant and easy to use design. They've got spots for little banners about community events, sidebar with random community members and posts. It's a really involving, vibrant and positive design.

I have a feeling that this sort of thing would require money, time and manpower. But I think it'd be worth it, the pandora community is growing and I think we'll soon have enough users to justify a dedicated site.

Our only community forum is hosted here, on a website devoted to GPH and GPH handhelds. Its interface is old and tired, not friendly for browsing on handheld devices. The official forum at boards.openpandora.org is not a community forum, it is a support forum for OP Ltd. The OP website itself also looks old and tired, allowing no community contribution and is not frequently updated with new content.

I feel that with pandorapress, milkshake's repo and pandorawiki, if we have the permission and desire to do so, we have ample content to make an interesting, useful, and accessible (and maybe even fun!) website for the pandora community to congregate around.

What do you guys think?

I think that the only person who could successfully do something like that without even further ripping apart the community is someone that everyone trusts. Due to various reasons, only ED seems to fit the role (I'm reasoning that almost anyone not on Craig's payroll would not be acceptable to Craig, while Craig or almost anyone on his payroll would not be acceptable to a big chunk of the community). But I truly believe that ED is already busy enough and has many more urgent things to work on right now. Something like this would take a great deal of effort and diplomacy, efforts that perhaps should be better spent on more pressing issues (such as a new firmware release to update the 2-year-old kernel).

Sort of like that, but easier said -- ideas are easy and plentiful, but people to implement them.. thats a rare thing :)

If you want to run with it, pull a teamk together etc, I'm sure no one would be in the way, but current folks were overwhelmed years ago :)

jeff

Back