Pandora "console" Version

vampire8bit

There are some members who have been put off the Pandora because of the keyboard and its umpc/pda features. They just want a regular handheld gaming console not a pocket computer. Would the OP team consider doing a console version of the Pandora with the same (or improved) specs, no keyboard, exactly the same controls and perhaps a 3.5" OLED screen at some point in the future?

I guess they won't.
And if they would, producing a special case for it would likely result in a more expensive device.

Simply ignoring the keyboard would be the best option, I sincerely doubt they would make such superficial changes for the small amount of people that don't like keys

@Op
It would cut the target audience roughly in half, so I don't think this will happen.

Balzac2m said:
I guess they won't.
And if they would, producing a special case for it would likely result in a more expensive device.
I agree. And besides, I don't mind a gaming console having PDA like features.

Πανδώρα(Pandora) RULEZ!!!!!!!!! :pandora2ut4: B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hirolaser said:
There are some members who have been put off the Pandora because of the keyboard and its umpc/pda features. They just want a regular handheld gaming console not a pocket computer. Would the OP team consider doing a console version of the Pandora with the same (or improved) specs, no keyboard, exactly the same controls and perhaps a 3.5" OLED screen at some point in the future?
This doesn't make any sense. Why would they take something that can do multiple things, and do really really well, and take out one of those things to satisfy a small amount of people? Sounds like you want the Wiz or any of the other gaming handhelds....the Pandora is not for you. The Pandora's design is one that will probably be cloned eventually cause it is simply the best design for a mix between a gaming handheld and small computer which I see devices going this way in the future. Think about it, years ago if someone said they were going to make a phone (iPhone) that could do all the stuff it could do but also play really cool games, people would of laughed. The Pandora is doing something like that now. If you tell someone that they could have a computer in their pocket and also be able to play classics like Sonic, Super Mario Bros, and Outrun they would laugh....untill you whip it out of your pocket. will they be as impressed if all you can do is the gaming functions.....no....most people would be like "Great, another game thingy".

hum, if I had time to lose I'dd create you some blueprint for a nice cardboard item that you could place at a strategic point on your pandora to hide the keyboard... for almost free, that would be great, wouldn't it?

One of the coolest things about the design is when playing games you don't notice the keyboard and when using apps you don't notice the game controls.

Not much point in taking something so unique and turning it into something of which there are already many.

Does the keyboard really bother you? Does every feature that you don't use bother you? Do you wanna cut your hands off while roller skating? Do you want to talk about it?

Loonie said:
Not much point in taking something so unique and turning it into something of which there are already many.
Well spoken.

On another note, the device would either become much wider and therefor less pocketable or would have to utilize a PSPesk slide-out mechanism in order to house all of the controller goodness. A new battery design most likely hand in hand with a setback in capacity would also have to follow. Et I bet there's c.

I love the design. If it was just a gaming console I wouldn't have bought it. With the power, large screen, keyboard and massive battery-life it's multi-purpose and becomes worthwhile.

what appeals to me is that i can play games and emulators that were restricted because the devices i used had no keyboard. having UMPC features was the cherry on top as it would increase the usablility of my pandora

Dead1nside said:
I love the design. If it was just a gaming console I wouldn't have bought it. With the power, large screen, keyboard and massive battery-life it's multi-purpose and becomes worthwhile.
Right on man!!!

It's all worth it! :pandora2ut4: :rolleyes:

I'm happy with the current design, it's attractive, unique, and if I want to type something, boom. I like it.

I may spit my idea in here as it kinda fits the thread.

I had the totally opposite idea :)
Would it be possible, or to put it another way: how much work is it to get rid of the controls and use the gained space for a larger keyboard?
If it is not too much hazel then more customers could be attracted. I guess the pandora is still the cheapest mini PC around, at least with such a good CPU/GPU. If, however, it would be more expensive, I am pretty sure the most complex part of teh case has to be redone for this (And by now we all know how hard it is, then it wouldn't be worth it.

The problem with that is, that the PCB layout would have to be changed, because the contacts of the controls and keyboard aren't separate. I thinks it's generally the best to have one design for all occasions. You can do fancy stuff with the controls, like using the analogues as mouse and a dpad is handy even on an UMPC(replaces arrow keys).

When the title of the thread said console I thought you wanted a Pandora that you could plug into your TV and perhaps plug in USB joypads and a keyboard or something. Everyone is entitled to their own views I suppose.

Slightly O/T from this discussion but down the same general road. Don't think this needs it's own thread here.

does the icontrol pad peeps have a forum anywhere? I'd like to see like a modified version of the icontrol pad with the nubs, controls, keyboard as a bluetooth accessory for use with hometheater pc's devices without keyboards and stuff of that nature. basically a pandora without all the bells and whistles and the screen.

Back