• Wireless Controller FTW!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It would be nice to have

• Nah... Don''t need one

• Total voters

Raz

I was wondering if people are interested in using the TV-Out and a PS3 Controller in conjunction.

By all means, I bought the Pandora for portability, but I have a nice couch... a large TV.... loud speakers.... people to annoy... and a lot of food and blankets....

I guess what I'm saying is, would a Pandora Wireless Controller or PS3/360 Controller Compatibility be nice to have? Perhaps a piece of software that acts as a driver and gives you the option of mapping keys for the PS3/360 controller would be awesome? Maybe a custom controller from Pandora? This isn't a request.. I'm just saying it would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure we already decided that the PS3 and XB360 controllers use a weird proprietary format that won't work with the Pandora at all.

If I want a controller for it, I'll just get a generic Logitech wireless USB joystick and maybe a keyboard.

Isn't that only via USB Gruso? I recall seeing a vid of it playing Sonic...

It is awesomez though. I just love the feel of a Sony controller, even after having touched one after many years...

Yeah, that's for using it over USB. The PS3 and XB360 wireless is proprietary, and I don't know if it's physically possible for the Pandora's wireless hardware to talk to it, even if that was legal.

MS Sells a USB to 360 wireless thing, which makes the controllers act as standard USB joysticks (Ive got the adapter). I believe the Wired 360 controllers also work as standard usb joysticks as well, but not sure. As for wireless, you can forget about it :)

AFAIK the USB is used for the initial Bluetooth pairing. I may be wrong, but the original project page suggests that I'm not:

CODE
http://www.pabr.org/sixlinux/sixlinux.en.html

It is already known that the SIXAXIS operates as a regular HID device in USB mode.

This document explains how to configure Linux to recognize the SIXAXIS as a Bluetooth HID device.

^^ The happy face made me all better :(

Well, I guess we can't have it all. Maybe somebody will come up with a Sony-style wireless controller someday

Why not just use a logitec bluetooth controller, they usually mimic the shape of the ps2 controllers.

'StreaK' said:
Please add option for USB Logitec Cordless Rumblepad 2
i have one. its a two way street of abuse. it yells at me for spilling soda on its grips, and i hit it for having a slow response time and square analog wells

I still would prefer the PS3/360-type layout, feels comfortable compared to those logitech ones. Never used a joypad in my life, cept maybe in arcades...

'Raz' said:
I still would prefer the PS3/360-type layout, feels comfortable compared to those logitech ones. Never used a joypad in my life, cept maybe in arcades...
A PS3 or 360 controller is a joypad :blink:

'Raz' said:
Well, I guess we can't have it all. Maybe somebody will come up with a Sony-style wireless controller someday
Since you don't seem to believe me...
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43880

I don't know about PS3- or XBOX-Controllers, but what about the Nintendo Wii controllers? Afaik they have also been used for several student projects and such...

Mr. Wartung

'tramp' said:
I don't know about PS3- or XBOX-Controllers, but what about the Nintendo Wii controllers? Afaik they have also been used for several student projects and such...

Mr. Wartung
Should be. Wii controllers use Bluetooth.

I'd quite like to see the reverse; a driver that lets you use either the USB OTG in slave mode or bluetooth to make the pandora act as a USB/Bluetooth HID with keyboard, joypad and the touchscreen as a large track pad for your PC. This is perfectly feasible, but AFAIK there are no drivers with this functionality yet.

Will the driver for the analogue sticks and other gaming buttons be implemented as a standard linux joystick device? I hope it will be like this rather than some non-standard way of accessing them. That way all games that support the pandoras analogue sticks will also support other joypads too. It will make porting games much more simple. If it was done that way then the driver I described above could also be implemented in a more generic way that just exports all keyboard/mouse/joystick functionality over a bluetooth or usb-gadget connection, and would be useful then for other projects.

Another thing that has occurred to me as being pretty cool is about the pandora having s-video/composite video instead of DVI/HDMI - using composite it should be fairly straight forward to put a small composite video transmitter on the pandora and use it wirelessly with the TV. Many will also transmit audio. e.g. : http://www.active-robots.com/products/radi...v-modules.shtml

Although those modules I just highlighted are probably not what you want as they are 2.4GHz- same band as wireless 802.11 and thus are likely to cause interference. But there should be others available.

If I'll ever use a controller with it.. I'll probably use PS3 one. Since I have 3 of them and they're lighter that Xbox ones. But Sixaxis still sucks a bit.. even after this things put on it.

CODE
http://openpandora.info/hosting/upload/files/2009-02/c4c0eb.jpg
http://openpandora.info/hosting/upload/files/2009-02/de4977.jpg

I've tried out PS3 and X-Box Controllers playing Xpand Rally Xtreme On PC. I also used a Logitech Pad, 2 no-name Pads and even NDS and PSP via W-LAN acting as (mouse+)keyboard.

X-Box Pad rocks and defeates the PS3 and all other controllers in every aspect (I'm not a fanboy, i own neither of those consoles). There's a decent driver for Windows that enables analogue use of the L2/R2 triggers, awesome for racing games, definitely a must for XRX anyway. I couldn't find a PS3 Pad driver which does that.

Using an NDS or PSP as a controller is pretty easy and in case of the former ideally suited for Emulation (heavy 2player ZSNESW testing). The PSP unfortunately uses its analog nub for directional input and is quite heavy, two facts that made it less popular with me. Alas you need a Wifi access point to run the whole show. If that driver could be modified to run quasi-p2p, it would be plain awesome.

A special PandoPad? Nah. There's an ubandance of OKish pads out there, spare us another one.

Yeah, generic USB pads and joysticks aren't hard to come by.
I'm more interested in using the Pandora as a controller for a computer.

Back