Pandora Impressions And Onto Ebay

rmm2131

Hi all, it was nice being a part of this community, but I have to move on for personal reasons. I put my brand new recently received Pandora and its accessories up on ebay for those that want one now and not much later. ;)

Here's the ebay listing.

My quick impressions of the Pandora, keypad etc...
Hmmm it was hard to fathom first that I actually received it. I thought actually that when the box was opened a puff of smoke would fly around the room and wisp away through my front door's keyhole. It was surprising to hold one in my hands. After staring at it for a bit, I ended up pressing every button, every control on it. I don't know why I wanted to do that. I guess it could be that I wanted to experience what the renders and videos couldn't provide. IMO, the keypad keys were very good quality and so was the tactile feel of them. They had a moderate amount of travel(up-down) to them that exuded craftsmanship. All of them had the same feel.

D-pad, Shoulder buttons, Nubs etc...
That D-pad surprised the heck out of me. I've used many different controllers before but that was probably the best feeling directional i've ever had the pleasure of trying. Major manufacturers need to clone it(and perhaps DaveC as well). It was smaller than I thought it would be, but that didn't stop it from being sublime. The shoulder buttons had little travel to them though. They simply clicked. I'm neutral about them really since their function is more important, but I wish they were as thought out as that D-pad and the face buttons which pressed in easy and popped back efficiently fast. Nubs unsurprisingly moved smoothly too as expected.

Size/Dimensions etc...
I found the paint job to be very good also. It was never a worry for me if it ever arrived unpainted, but I can see why they went with a coating. No paint blobs or plastic bits that shouldn't be hanging about though. The size of the Pandora was about what I expected as I previously measured everyday objects in my house and compared them to what the device would be. It did feel more weighty than I assumed, but weight wasn't something I had prepared or concerned myself with. I'd say it made it feel expensive and made me feel paranoid a little more about not dropping it. :)
Accessories etc...
Batteries are, well, like any battery you've ever held except they have a plastic wrap on them that I can see would come off if you aren't gentle with it. The bottom of the Pandora that you put them into is well thought of and really robust. The clips that hold the battery cover in place snap nicely in. The extra battery case you get when you buy an extra battery was a pain in the neck to open. Very tight and difficult to pry if you don't have claw finger nails. :blink: Power adaptor was big as in laptop plug big so be prepared.

Stylus...
Thin, short, cheap. Fits tight into it's slot. Another inch of length couldn't hurt.

Screen...
Little I saw of it was enough to be impressed with it. Colors looked great. Text crisp. Good choice by the team to use that particular part.

I'll try to add more thoughts to this post/thread. :)

rmm21 said:
Thin, short, cheap. Fits tight into it's slot. Another inch of length couldn't hurt.
That is what she said.. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like Pandora owners and the patient waiters have an interest in keeping the price high (-;
10 Bids already, wow. A Pandora was listet on german ebay and wasn´t mentioned
explicit in its own thread on the boards. It was sold for 370€ not much more than the second batch price.
I wish I observed this auction a little closer :(

Shipping to: Worldwide

bull$hit...

Excludes: Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia, South America, Russian Federation, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hungary, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Korea, South, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon

Africa is a f#$king continent. I'd bid but as I live in South Africa I can't. So basically shipping to US/Europe and Canada. Worldwide my ass..
-(e)

Alerino said:
[joke]

usa.jpg
[/joke]

Awesome :D

sweetlilmre said:

bull$hit...

Excludes: Africa, Middle East, Southeast Asia, South America, Russian Federation, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Hungary, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Vatican City State, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Korea, South, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon

Africa is a f#$king continent. I'd bid but as I live in South Africa I can't. So basically shipping to US/Europe and Canada. Worldwide my ass..
-(e)
I am sorry for that, but I set the auction up quickly and went through ebay's excluded list trying to include everywhere I thought delivery destinations would be the least "troublesome". I sold for years on ebay with this particular account and although every single place above never gave me an issue/scammed me, some from a few of those surprisingly/unsurprisingly did. It's sad but true. I've lost quite a bit of money in worldwide auctions and paypal was of little help, but they are the only game in town really. Packages that were tracked ended up going round and a round and customs was of no help. Ebay can be great, but it can also be a nightmare sadly.

If anyone wants to bid on my auction and they fall under that excluded worldwide destinations umbrella above I can of course allow it after talking to them and checking their ebay history. That is no problem at all. Contact me through ebay and i'll be happy to do it.

Alerino said:
[joke]

usa.jpg
[/joke]
Your map needs to have Canada somewhere over by the communists. I am starting to lose track of the number of times the answer to me asking if you will ship to Canada is
"Sorry, I don't ship overseas." :)

crade said:
Your map needs to have Canada somewhere over by the communists. I am starting to lose track of the number of times the answer to me asking if you will ship to Canada is
"Sorry, I don't ship overseas." :)
I've had similar. My favourite are the ones that say they won't ship internationally but will ship to Canada. Never quite certain if I should be happy about that or not.

sweetlilmre said:

bull$hit...

-(e)

Wow, that's shocking!!! Excluding a whole continent! :blink:
However, I only buy off ebay and have never sold anything on it.

Alerino said:
[joke]

usa.jpg
[/joke]

Thanks Alerino, that just made my day! (And it's been rough one) That map just about sums it up. Geography is hard!

worzyl said:
sweetlilmre said:

bull$hit...

-(e)

There are just some places in the world not safe to ship to because of unreliable and unscrupulous postal carriers/customs officials or less developed transit systems. Ebay shouldn't use the term "worldwide", but they don't offer any other choice in that selection. I know undoubtedly that Nigeria wouldn't ever make it on mine or any sane person's ship to list with all the scams originating from there, but even if I allowed every other country on Earth to bid, I would still be stuck with the word "worldwide" on my ebay listing, which is what some of you seem to be harping about. Sorry, but I don't want to be scammed and avoiding certain places in the world is how I see minimizing that from happening. I'll do as much as I can to prevent it even if I really would like to have everyone interested in my auction to have an opportunity to bid.

For extra clarification, here's a big list of countries Shipinsurance won't provide coverage for under "Is coverage provided worldwide?". Long list of places isn't it and that's just from one site. Also, if some of you check the ebay forums there are many threads of people asking and responding to "which countries don't you ship to".

As for "The World According to Americans" thing posted above, maybe some people do think that way, but not everyone from the USA can be categorized like that. Personally, I wish there wasn't any line drawing on the globe and that the brightest of us, no matter where they live and the language they speak, could work together to improve the rock were on.

Better time spent of the life we have than the usual finger pointing. :)

Hey,

So that was a bit of a vent. :) Anyway production seems to be soon to restart so I guess I will just wait.
Loved the map. I guess the frustration is that S.A. is a weird kind of 1st world / 3rd world combination but we always get treated like some bannana republic.

I mean its not like we are hosting the World Cup or anything... :)

Have a vuvuzela day
-(e)

rmm21 said:
worzyl said:
sweetlilmre said:

bull$hit...

-(e)

There are just some places in the world not safe to ship to because of unreliable and unscrupulous postal carriers/customs officials or less developed transit systems. Ebay shouldn't use the term "worldwide", but they don't offer any other choice in that selection. I know undoubtedly that Nigeria wouldn't ever make it on mine or any sane person's ship to list with all the scams originating from there, but even if I allowed every other country on Earth to bid, I would still be stuck with the word "worldwide" on my ebay listing, which is what some of you seem to be harping about. Sorry, but I don't want to be scammed and avoiding certain places in the world is how I see minimizing that from happening. I'll do as much as I can to prevent it even if I really would like to have everyone interested in my auction to have an opportunity to bid.

For extra clarification, here's a big list of countries Shipinsurance won't provide coverage for under "Is coverage provided worldwide?". Long list of places isn't it and that's just from one site. Also, if some of you check the ebay forums there are many threads of people asking and responding to "which countries don't you ship to".

As for "The World According to Americans" thing posted above, maybe some people do think that way, but not everyone from the USA can be categorized like that. Personally, I wish there wasn't any line drawing on the globe and that the brightest of us, no matter where they live and the language they speak, could work together to improve the rock were on.

Better time spent of the life we have than the usual finger pointing. :)

I think "The World According to Americans" was satire. Like Godspell.

-God Ginrai

rmm21 said:
There are just some places in the world not safe to ship to because of unreliable and unscrupulous postal carriers/customs. . .
Eh, I had a rant but oh well, no point in it. I've just lived in some of those said places and never got 90% of my packages sent from family.

sweetlilmre said:

bull$hit...

erm, there are more than a few european countries on that list.. i mean, the Vatican is in there, for Peter's sake!

Alerino said:
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO AMERICANS:

Nah it should really be: THE WORLD ACCORDING TO REPUBLICANS :ph34r:

All us Yanks aren't that bad, although the ones with the biggest mouths and smallest brains do give that impression.

Tempted to bid on it, but I already preordered a batch 2 Pandora... Maybe I'll bid on it when there's less than 24 hrs left :)

I'm gonna sit patiently and wait for my batch 2 order to arrive (hopefully before I ship off to Afghanistan. Please?).

Anyhoo. Good luck with your ebay item, mate.

Abanest said:
I'm gonna sit patiently and wait for my batch 2 order to arrive (hopefully before I ship off to Afghanistan. Please?).

Anyhoo. Good luck with your ebay item, mate.
Thanks for that. I hope this auction works out for the best and I also hope that everyone gets their Pandoras by October. That D-pad really is incredible.

The device is worth the wait. :)

Back