Pandora Killed The Wiz

zRichi

Back in March 08 when the Pandora was being released next month, I had a look at the Wiz and thought "F that". When the delays started coming and I started checking back each month or so the Wiz was the least enthusiastic release...The Pandora could do a million times more things and it was only gonna take a month whilst they sorted the wifi/cases/nubs yada yada.

So anyone else think the Wiz didn't get the attention it deserved. Maybe if the coders that would've gone to the Wiz but instead wanted to code for the pandora then the Wiz would have a better scene...PSX emulation would probably be at %100 by now. I know if I hadn't opted for the the Pandora, I would've owned a Wiz for over a year now!

Zodttd is your guy for psx. he hasn't even finish his work on the psx4pandora yet. The hold up in that department is prob more about Zod being busy with his iphone stuff than being busy with pandora stuff.

It's a total myth. Wiz didn't get more attention because there was nothing to do but port GP2X software. As a platform it offers too little new to drive a lot of new development. The only really new part is the 3D hardware which is not a big asset for emulators and there aren't a lot of big enthusiast 3D titles to go around (especially that can be done by Wiz).

PS1 emulation not being "100%" is more a function of the programmer to do something like that never being there in the first place, not stolen by Pandora hype.

yep.was gonna buy a wiz.Saw the screen tearing issue(at the time) and found a link to the pandora.
The rest is history.

I agree with Exophase. There is nothing really new in the Wiz, it is just the same thing that Gp2x was with an improved battery, screen and speed. From a coder point of view, there is little fun in the Wiz. Of course, the coder point of view is not the same that the user's point of view. The Wiz is far better than the gp2x to run applications in all ways.

3D stuff or astonishing gaming interfaces need a revolution of hardware. Unfortunately, I also thing that Pandora is not that revolution. We can discuss whether Pandora has better Amiga emulation and Wiz is more comfortable to play NES, but chances are that the iPhone or Android will really be the gaming devices of the future. The Pandora and Wiz paradigms are old stuff. Powerful, no doubt about this, but old.

Of course, this is only my opinion. I broke down in pieces my Gp2x months ago and I don't (and won't) own neither a Wiz nor a Pandora :) The really best thing about Wiz/Pandora is their communities. I can participate in this community or gp32spain without owning any gaming device. And this is because these two communities are really superb to hang around.

I bought a Wiz, I liked the Wiz, I played with the Wiz for 10 months, I sold the Wiz, I ordered a Pandora a few weeks ago.

Wiz is great for those who unlike myself were not clever enough to bung a £5'er on Selby and Carter to win their snooker qtr finals from 4 frames down each. Those unlucky souls didn't win enough money to buy a Pandora, but can at this very moment play Superfrog on UAE4All, unlike me who sold the Wiz to buy a couple of SDHC's.

I'm keeping my GP32 though. I love it's controls more than any other handheld.

In my opinion I think you have it backwards, buying an open source device gives you the ability to code/write/run your own or others applications. The fact you own one doesnt guarantee others will work on the things you want.
I think part of the community is developing an entitlement attitude, and it seems more of the core group that used to be here have moved on or are lurking.

Personally if you care about the wiz scene and want to see it change then do something about it. If you dont want to make the commitment to the scene then dont complain how others spend their free time.
If you want to do something on your wiz then make it happen. If its beyond your ability then ask about it, but dont gripe as if you expected someone would do it for you.

Now as to the state of the wiz, what more do you want? The wiz can run most the gp2x library with some work (I know ive contributed quite a bit to getting things converted over). Are you aware that many things on the gp2x were pushed to the limit like psx4all? The time was spent during the gp2x days, the bottom line comes done to that wiz didnt improve enough over the gp2x. Thats one of the big reasons its been a turn off for many potential developers.

Personally when i see statements like yours, I want to think why the heck did i spend all the time getting gp2x apps to work on the wiz. All of these apps are done and work, but people are still complaining...what more can i do, if what ive done has people still upset, whats the point? I dont know if many people know yet but im not using my wiz anymore, for example the gpfce release was just because i didnt like how it ended up. Im not using it, it was enjoyable to see it run the way it should. Im not looking for praise, but respect.

I personally think that the Wiz has two of the most important things to offer over the GP2X, decent controls and battery life. I never used my GP2X because the controls meant it just wasn't fun to play on but using the Wiz I can really enjoy retro on the move for the first time. I can't say I find the tearing issue a real problem and only notice it on screen fades, plus it has been fixed on quite a few pieces of software.

I think the Wiz suffered because GPH didn't originally release an SDK with it and this stifled development.

I would strongly recommend that anyone who's pockets can afford it should buy a Wiz to complement their Pandora, the Wiz is so compact there will be plenty of times it will be the preferred choice to take with you.

I really liked my Wiz. There were some good stuff in it. And the battery doesn't kill you soon as in GP2X.
But I haven't seen much use of the 3d accelerator. I didn't try it myself either.
I haven't seen any scene demos (not even ports) for it. I planned to start making one or port my old demos. But I didn't.
We haven't seen it's potential in this aspect (apart from GlQuake).
I might still do something on Wiz oneday. Even after buying a Pandora.
Just because there is still potential and I haven't seen it.

Pickle, I think many of the non-coding users are just applying the consumer mentality to open source devices. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, in-fact I can think of the page Craig made to sell the GP2X as an example.

http://craig.gp2x.de/review/GP2XReview.html

Which is clearly marketing. The final link of the article is to buy a machine from Craig or ED. I don't have a problem with the article at all, but it does support the consumer mindset towards homebrew.

Another:

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/gp32review.html

For consumer-type people, the smartest thing to do is to wait and see - if enough interesting software comes out in a good functional state, then make your move and buy the device. What you can't expect is for homebrew developers to work to your demands. That's just the way it is. You took a risk when you bought the Wiz, and maybe it didn't pay off.

The same is true of the Pandora. The team have marketed it using software demonstrations to get people excited. How much people are gambling depends on their own point of view. To some people, anything less than Doom 3, Dreamcast and PSP emulation is a loss. To others, anything more than a terminal and basic Linux commands is a bonus. Expectations differ.

Pickle said:
Im not looking for praise, but respect.

Hey Pickle, you have my praise, my respect, and my thanks!

I understand all of the hard work you put into the platform, and it would not be where it is (a full library of great emulators) without all of your hard work.
I know people are quick to complain these days, but that is unfortunately the world we live in these days.

Please keep up the good work, it IS appreciated and respected!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Im not using it, it was enjoyable to see it run the way it should. Im not looking for praise, but respect.
Who let you out of your cage? Get back to work!
:D

Thanks for the nice words, its appreciated. (but I want to keep this thread on topic)

I think this an important discussion that I hope would enable other wiz owners to decide to have the will to support themselves. (I want more the ol'GP2X days and less of the PSP entitlement)

I remember when the Wiz was first delayed and we were all taking bets on which was going to come out first, Pandora or Wiz..

I do believe that Pandora has some kind of impact on Wiz sales. If I didn't already know about Pandora when Wiz was announced, I would have probably gotten one.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have, sad to say. My GP2X (first one bricked itself; replacement had a screen that gave me instant migraines) soured me on GamePark Holdings' products quite a lot, to the point that there was very little chance of me gambling on another. :(

Actually, I have to wonder what sort of an impact on sales things like that have, more than whether other products have an impact. I mean, you can only hear me say about my experience because I came here, but there may well be others who just lost interest in the whole concept, whose voices don't get heard.

I wish I did more with my Wiz than play one or two MAME games. The problem is, setting up the SD is boring and there's no WLAN. If only someone would a) tell me how to get the Wiz online properly, and B) open up a Wiz App Store that just seamlessly transfers games directly to my device without so much as a button-push, then it would be so .. so .. much more useful.

Pleng said:
I do believe that Pandora has some kind of impact on Wiz sales. If I didn't already know about Pandora when Wiz was announced, I would have probably gotten one.

On the other hand, I'm sure some companies have profited (in some small way) from the Pandora delays. I'd almost buy any old tat to fill that Pandora sized void. Like how I find myself looking at the Ben Nanonote and thinking 'Cor... Yeah. I would'. Feels like I've lowered my standards a bit, like I'm roaming the neighbourhood looking to 'pick up' to fill my needs. Where are you Pandora?! Don't you see what I've become?

*cries into whiskey bottle or something*

Pickle did and does a wonderful work for the Wiz. You have my praise and respect.

Actually, the Wiz is not bad at all as a gaming device. If someone that bought the Gp2x updates now to the Wiz he will find the same emulators and homebrew games running much better, being Cave Story the only exception. For retrogamers, the current status of the Wiz software is enough for several lifetimes. In fact I think (and this is only my opinion) that the Wiz is more comfortable than Pandora, and then more suitable for retrogaming even if there is not a single bit of new software.

Wiz or Pandora are the current milestones of retrogaming. Problem is, I have been playing Super Mario Land for twenty years now, and I'm looking for new horizons.

for me the wiz didn't do enough to be a replacement for the pandora. If the pandora never existed, I probably would have got a wibrain, UMPC, netbook, or something similar and then I may have bought a wiz if the device I got didn't satisfy my gaming needs.

No one is to blame for wiz sales except for the wiz designers. The better machine gets better sales.

Back