Pandora Lite ?

Agoria

Still Fresh
Hi,

First of all, I introduce myself because it's my fist post here.

My name is Julien, I'm living in Paris and I'm 25 years old. I'm also a huge retrogaming enthusiast.

I'm sorry that my first post is a new topic. The reason is simple : I don't have a Pandora and I'm not planning to buy one for now.

I decided to create this topic hoping to draw the Pandora's creators attention on an idea i have.

I know that Pandora's concept isn't in compromises, but I wonder what Pandora's creators are thinking about a smaller handheld console using the Pandora Classic hardware.

The console could be in a GBA/Caanoo/GCW Zero form-factor, using Pandora's Classic hardware, making it able to run a large amount of apps and emus designed for the Pandora.

It could possibly be with only one joystick, one d-pad, no keyboard, no bluetooth, a smaller screen (abt 3.5 inches) with smaller resolution (making emu's easier to run than in an higer res) in 4:3 format, with touch screen and wifi, and no internal memory (except to run the device itself). One SD port supporting SDXC 64go SD cards should be enough.

This console would be a must-have for retrogaming fans that are waiting for a Caanoo successor able to run properly 3D games from PSX and even N64 in the good ol' 4:3 ratio. I know that chinese devices using Android can easilly run old games, but I think that retrogaming enthusiasts are waiting for an higher-end device that looks more "specific".

Note that I'm not talking about a replacement of existing Pandora, but about a lower-end device using current classic hardware, available for people that does not need for a Pandora or Pandora 2 when it will come out.

Pros :

more affordable price

power (for that kind of device)

large amount of apps since the beginning for the newcomers

easier to carry

good battery lasting (smaller screen)

retrogaming oriented

better build quality than chinese devices

new members (developpers) in the Open Pandora community interested by a growing community

cons

won't run some regular Pandora apps (power, no touch screen, one joystick, resolution)

What the community thinks about that ?

Thanks.

You've just described one of the many other open consoles that already exist. It's a rapidly growing niche that I don't think OPT should really consider getting into, I'm not sure they can compete with the Chinese Android portables, and that's exactly what they'd be compared against. If you just want a cheap and simple game machine, get one of the ones that are already out there, I say.

Less powerful than later released Pandora devices and retro-gaming focused device doesn't mean cheap console. I don't want some cheap Android console (And i'm not alone), that's why I'm submitting the idea. I'm suggesting an open-console with Pandora's "spirit" and methods.

I know that I can't expect a device under 180/200$.

The only competitor I see could be GCW Zero, possibly Neo-Geo X if it gets hacked, but not JXD or Ynlips devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you described is not a pandora. Its an open (handheld) games console, and I'm happy to let GCW get on with producing such devices.

To me, the Pandora has a a keyboard, cursor, mouse buttons, scroll control and arrow keys. Its a really small laptop.

A pandora light (not lite !) would be more like a nanonote, which is already being produced by another company.

I could see a Pandora "Lite" being worth it in the future as long as it was just a thinner version of the Pandora 1ghz "phat".

When the DS lite came out I ran out to get it because of the many improvements it offered over the original DS.

Those improvements being better screen (same resolution), thinner/stronger chassis, and cooler operation.

Add to that an illuminated keyboard with fade switch (or keyboard light in the bezel), aluminum chassis, flat keys... and any other

upgrades that don't break compatibility then go for it. My money is yours ;)

There's a huge gap in what you can do between the ~$100 GCW and $500-700 Pandora. I certainly wouldn't say it's a market that isn't worth investigating. That doesn't mean I think the exact specifications the OP presented are the only way to go, of course.

What you described is not a pandora.
Well, the name is not the most important. It can be called totally differently.

The most important to me, is that Pandora's hardware and apps can be used for a gaming device ;)

I like your idea and can very well understand why you would not buy an alternative device (in respect to your idea).

ED is always open about what is happening, it is more or less known where the money goes and what it does, there is an awesome community with passionate programmers. Additionally the operating system is open source and there are a lot of open source games ready to be enjoyed. Those things just rest my mind. I know that there are a lot of things that can be done on other platforms, but it often is a hack. I do not want to waste my life to learn specific hacks in order to know how things are done, but prefer open things where learning how thinks are done can be used to become productive myself.

I have genuinely no Idea about gaming handhelds, but if there is something like this out there (even better, with released schematics) I would be thankful if someone could point me at that (Won't buy one, but would be interesting to take a look at it)

Bottom line: The Pandora experience is not easily experienced with devices from other companies, pointing him to those is probably not helping...

I would not have any objections in such a device. I think the idea is good and could be applied to other types of devices. If someone would pick up the challenge of developing and producing it, I am afraid i can not support it financially, since my interest lies in the Pandora.

Assuming there would be enough interested people for this and someone doing the organizational stuff, why would someone stand in the way? The only thing that would bother me is, if the gamers in the community would pick the cheaper option and the forth living of the Pandora would end.

So: go for it, it just looks right now there are not so many sharing your Idea or actively supporting (that naturally might change).

This question gets posted up about once every 3-4 months doesn't it? The Pandora isn't a micro-mini emulation-only handheld because it can not be 'just that' and achieve it's purposes.

Agoria - it's fairly clear that you don't really understand the Pandora concept. A quick bit of reading on the Pandora Wiki page would probably help you out there.

http://pandorawiki.org/Main_Page

It doesn't matter what the Pandora is or isn't because he isn't talking about Pandora. He's asking if OPT is interested in making a simpler console that's still more robust/powerful than what the typical crop of Chinese stuff, which also has the ability to run PNDs that don't need the missing controls (something those Chinese PMPs won't give you). I don't understand the opposition to this, are Pandora's makers not allowed to diversify their offerings? Do they not understand Pandora by releasing things like iCP?

Would be interesting, but to be honest, I'm not sure it would make sense to get it instead of a GCW Zero. Most importantly, isn't the PCB one of the most expensive parts of the Pandora? That being the case, a "light" Pandora wouldn't really be all that much cheaper. Then there's the costs of developing the mold and such.

It would be cool, but I don't see it being worth it for OPT.

Could OP build a serious maket presence in the realm of pocket emulation boxes?

Pandora is king of pocket retrogaming+productivity computers

iCP2 will be the best BT controller available

could what is described above be the same?

This question gets posted up about once every 3-4 months doesn't it? The Pandora isn't a micro-mini emulation-only handheld because it can not be 'just that' and achieve it's purposes.

Agoria - it's fairly clear that you don't really understand the Pandora concept. A quick bit of reading on the Pandora Wiki page would probably help you out there.

http://pandorawiki.org/Main_Page

That seems pretty arrogant ;)

If you have an on-screen keyboard (sure, sucks, but might be just enough to get by on a few things, like we've done for so many years on other devices) then a certain class of games/emus/etc opens up; most SNES, Genesis, Amiga, Atari ST, PC Engine/et cetera games dont' need fancy inputs, just a joystick; getting a pandora and tossing keyboard woudl toss out the whole multifunction side to some extent, but existing pnds could run without too much work (assuming similar chipset..) -- not such a bad thing!

Its really just a question of .. what features for what price, and is trhere enough demand to make it worthwhile; its worth investigating, and not just ignoring out of hand.

jeff

Also a question of what will the market/community be doing in 2016...

This is not a bad idea imo - use as many Pandora components as possible, but cut some functionality, e.g. only the mini-USB, no keyboard, only 1 nub, 1 SD slot, no wifi, no hinge, etc. If that way, a cheaper handheld can be made that still has many benefits of the Pandora (e.g. with a USB keyboard, you can use all Pandora software), it would be nice. It could increase overall sales, and thus also make the Pandora itself potentially cheaper because its core components (e.g. the pcb) can be ordered in larger volume.

(e.g. the pcb)
Wouldn't the PCB have to be completely different due to the repositioned nubs. I can't imagine soldering a USB socket or SD card holder is very expensive once you have the PCB designed for them.

I do, however think that, were the 1GHz chips (and other bits) to become cheaper in the next year or two, there would be a market for P1 hardware in a new (high quality) case.

ED said after the preorder queues are cleaned the pandora will become 450€ or something. This sound reasonable. Archos created a gamepad too. I am a Caanoo owner (and I am very happy with this device), and I can afford a pandora. A 200-300€ device would be sweet.

I ask every one that wants to react to read this entire message, besause some of you here did not in the initial post.

Hi guys,

I'm bumping this topic now because we now know that the GCW Zero is a bit disapointing... 

So there is a free market now, because the Caanoo is not powerful enough, and the Zero has some production problems, and, which is even worse, hardware problems : the cross is not very good for fighting games and there is some reliability issues.

To all people that replied me "what you want has nothing to do with Pandora", I understand that.

But any open consoles enthusiast will definitely be interested in the Pandora's community emulators and games.

BUT these enthusiasts have two problems :

1. the Pandora is expansive

2. The Pandora is more a "small computer" than a console. 

The problem for me is the second one. I want a console, not a computer, even if it's a fantastic machine. 

I ask to people involved in the project to at least consider making a Pandora-derived open console.

First, to see if it's technicaly doable, second, posting surveys, not only here because most of users here loves the Pandora as it is and doesn't need a derived console, but on other forums about open consoles, GPH consoles, Dingoo, etc.

To people like Grench telling that i'm don't understand what the Pandora is...

I actually do.

I'm not asking you all to replace your Pandora with a console, I'm suggesting to offer one more solution, nothing else.

If you already have a Porsche 911, why would you care about the Porsche Cayenne if it's selling well, helping Porsche, and let you enjoy your 911 ?

The same goes here, but I admit that the "Pandora Lite" title is not a good choice since it would not be a Pandora anymore.

I'd like to have opinion of the Pandora staff here. I'm pretty sure that there is a market awaiting you.

Well, this is a pandora forum and as many people do not want to change the formfactor or featureset of it, you ask for a solution...

The main problem is that you could also post this question on a sony/nvidia/... forum and you might get similar answers.

I'm not asking to change the formfactor or the featureset (thanks for the terms, I'll use them now).

I'm asking to consider making a new device, not changing the actual ones and planned ones.

And I see no better place to talk about that than the Pandora forum since it would be a pandora-derived console, and no one can do that better than the Pandora creators.

Back