Pandora Os On N900

Julius

Website
freegamearts.tuxfamily.org
I am thinking about retiring my N900 (maybe I should have gotten a Pandora after all :-/ ) and use it as a emulation console to connect to a TV and some BT controllers.

In theory this should work just fine (the TV out is quite ok and bluetooth controllers are supported too), but from my experience with the available n900 emulators it seems to me like something is holding back the OMAP... most emus run worse than on my GP2X :(

I am suspecting that the Maemo OS is just too fat and uses to much memory etc, so I was wondering if it would be possible to port the Pandora OS to the n900 to get the superior emulators and interface...

As most of the difficult stuff (telephony etc.) doesn't need to work for my idea I guess it could be feasible... has this been attempted before?

Might be nice to get some additional people interested in developing for the PandoraOS too, as I suspect that quite a few people have retired their N900 by now (lack of support by Nokia :( ) and could imagine using it as a nice SD media box and emulation console like me.

Edit: Just found this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53421&page=2
Some guys seem to have tried it the other way but failed so far :(
But that might be an option too... porting the pnd stuff and stripping down Maemo...

I'm sure it could be done relatively easily. But the Pandora OS has support for all the extra keys (buttons and pads and corner keys and nubs and whatnot) which the N900 doesn't have. So it'll be quite crippled on the N900.

For myself I'm more interested in cross-compatible executables. There's been some testing on that.

Back