Pandora Software/firmware

arconreef

Still Fresh
Okay, I'm really new to portable emulation. Will the Pandora have built in emulators? I'm pretty sure that you will have to go and download it, right? Do portable emulators like GP2X and Pandora come with built in emulators, so they will be able to emulate games right out of the box? I don't think so, but I would like to confirm. If they don't, then what's the reason for not having them? :unsure:

I'm a noob :blink:

well as far as i can tell, the emus don't come in the system out of the box. Its partially moral/legal crap saying that we might be endorsing emulation which can also be interpreted as endorsing rom piracy. but it would be really nice to have firmware integrated emulators so we can just double tap (or whatever) the roms without having to open an emu first.

Even if it is legal, I doubt the system will come preloaded with emulators. This is partly due to what Linkous just said and also since open source coders like to put releases out often, it's better to go to the online repository and get the latest version. Pandora will be well supported software wise by its creators and it will be very easy to go get any application that exists and have it on the memory card before your Pandora even arrives! :)

If you check out the software repository for GP2X you will see it is provided by ED on the Pandora team! Of course this forum is provided by Hando, not to forget his contribution.

mkf said:
First batch will be available to developers. So when you receive your device, some unoptimized emulators will be available for downloading.
I think this is more accurate to the reality. Doesn't sound as good, but will be great, anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some unoptimised emulators already exist for pandora. They will be optimised on real hardware when the devs receive their units.

And what do you mean by optimisation? Optimisation never ends. It's a journey, not the final destination.

mfk said:
And what do you mean by optimisation? Optimisation never ends. It's a journey, not the final destination.
Agreed. Forget my comment. :)

Then: First batch will be available to developers. So when you receive your device, some emulators will be available for downloading.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora isn't a portable emulator - it's a MULTIMEDIA NETWORK GAME INTERNET INTERACTIVE GAME DEVICE

Need a microwave? Buy it. For anything else, Pandora. :p

Oh, we've got another thread for this, I think. Sorry. ;)

Back