Pandora Wiki List Of Everything Except Games & Emulators

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
On the Pandora wiki, we currently have nice, up-to-date lists of existing games and emulators which include everything present on Pandora Apps and the Pandora File Archive (if you're visiting only one of those, you won't find everything that can be downloaded for the Pandora):
http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list
http://pandorawiki.org/Games

There needed to be a list for everything else (applications, etc.), so I created one by moving "Projects Under Development" to "Software projects" and separating it into two categories, "released" and "unreleased". Here it is:
http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

The question of subcategories was a difficult one, so I would welcome any thoughts here. Do you think it makes sense the way it currently looks? I wasn't sure what to categorize some software as, so I ended up using "official" for what is on the official Pandora site (hotfix, community pack), "internal" for software that works on the Pandora itself (to speed things up, or monitor them), and "hardware" for software that allows external hardware to work.

I t(hink we need some template to indicat the use of analog, digital stick, Bletooth, WIFI, USB... on the Emulator or games like on Wiibrew
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Template:Infobox_homebrewapp/doc

and catagory for all the buttons:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Category:Controller_Buttons

I guess you mean for articles about individual emulators/games? We don't have many of those yet.

I can see how this could be a bit useful, but the Pandora is not the Wii after all - no software requires the use of hardware that must be separately-bought, except for that program that allows a PS3 controller to be plugged in.

but the categrory will be usefull for article when you have to put image of buttons to use

Looks good.

For the subcategories or types, you may want to use what they are sorted into on the Xfce menu. Those are: Graphics, Multimedia, Network, Office, Other, System. There's also accessories, but those can fit under system as well.

Now we just need to get at the main page to update the links. I'm going to make the Utility page redirect to this one since that page really has nothing of value on it.

Cheese said:
Looks good.

For the subcategories or types, you may want to use what they are sorted into on the Xfce menu. Those are: Graphics, Multimedia, Network, Office, Other, System. There's also accessories, but those can fit under system as well.

Now we just need to get at the main page to update the links. I'm going to make the Utility page redirect to this one since that page really has nothing of value on it.
To get at the main page, you'd need to contact Chip. I haven't seen him for a long while. I think he probably got burned out, and I wouldn't blame him. (although to be honest, I now think mali may be a better fit for this place - Chip's natural instincts were to err on the tight side when fastening the screws, which led to the appearance of downright cracks in the structure a bit too often)

I don't think that just using the Xfce categories is acceptable, because they don't seem to be very useful or particularly well-thought-out. i.e. it's a bit redundant for Xfce to have both "graphics" and "multimedia", because if you have a "multimedia" category, "graphics" is a sub-category.

Also, it is important to take the file archive categories into account. On Pandora Archive, you have: Audio, Internet, Misc, Office, System Applications, Various Tools, Video, Window Manager. While on Pandora Apps we currently have: Media Players, Office, Internet, Development, Firmware, Other

Bolded categories (not counting "misc/other" and "development") are present in all three categorizing systems:
Office, Internet/Network (is this functionally the same thing or not?), System/firmware, Media Players, Multimedia, Graphics, Audio, Video, Window Manager.

I think it's useful to have "graphics" and "audio" instead of just an all-encompassing "multimedia" category. I also use the Wikipedia description of a program as a guide. VLC is a "media player" (it could also fit in "audio", but it's more than that), Comix is an "image viewer".

What should that Playstation controller program be called? Also, should "Background killer" and "SD Card Speed Fix" be under the "system" category, along with the hotfix and codec pack? Should "internet" be called "network" instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
I sent a PM to Orkie about getting at the main page (his profile says he runs the wiki). Hopefully I'll hear from him soon, if not I'll try Chip. Or does anyone else have admin access to the wiki?

I probably should have justified using the Xfce categories a bit better. These categories are already defined in the PND files, so they are chosen by the author/port author already. Since the wiki is edited manually though, we don't have to follow them if we don't want to.

I don't think "graphics" really fits into "multimedia", I think it's generally accepted that multimedia relates to video and audio players while graphics relates to programs like GIMP. Now that I think about it, "graphics" would fit better under "office" and that combined with the fact that there aren't too many graphics-related programs and I'd say forget about having "graphics" as a category and have it as a subcategory of "office". I don't know really, you can decide this one (BTW, I'd consider media players and multimedia to be the same category).

Definitely go with "network" over "internet" since there are programs like GPS applications and bluetooth-related applications which fit fine in to "network" but not into "internet".

So we would have: Office, Network, System, Multimedia, Development, and other

System includes hotfixes, the codec pack, and anything else system related (including the background killer, SD card speed fix, and Playstation controller software).
Network includes anything requiring some kind of network to function, whether it be internet or otherwise.
Office would have graphics applications (such as GIMP) to be a subcategory since there are so few at the moment.
Multimedia includes audio and video applications (VLC, exile, the trackers, etc), they can be subcategorized further.
Development I think should be fairly obvious.
and anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else ends up in other.

Xfce mapping is related to but not exact to the pnd/pxml category; ask ED about it

Pxml's categories are the freedesktop standard categories btw

Jeffphone

Btw also that 'sd speed fix' pnd is probably not needed after hotfix #3 but im still on my hiatus and not entirely up to date

Cheese said:
So we would have: Office, Network, System, Multimedia, Development, and other

System includes hotfixes, the codec pack, and anything else system related (including the background killer, SD card speed fix, and Playstation controller software).
Network includes anything requiring some kind of network to function, whether it be internet or otherwise.
Office would have graphics applications (such as GIMP) to be a subcategory since there are so few at the moment.
Multimedia includes audio and video applications (VLC, exile, the trackers, etc), they can be subcategorized further.
Development I think should be fairly obvious.
and anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else ends up in other.

I don't think that "graphics" should go into "office", as I don't think they're really related for most people. "Graphics" would also includes things like image viewers (for comics and photos) and painting programs.

I think that it would be useful to have separate categories for specifically audio-central and graphics-central programs, and use "Multimedia" for programs that, going be Wikipedia's definition, "use a combination of different content forms". So programs that combine audio and graphics would be "multimedia", such as VLC (multimedia - video) or Blender (multimedia - animation).

I think having "other" as a category doesn't make much sense for the wiki; as long as the program can be described as something, it would be better to use that. Anyway, categories will evolve depending on the types of programs we get, I think.

Ok, so I suggest:
Office, Network, System, Multimedia, Audio, Graphics... and maybe more individual descriptions, if needed (i.e. from here). It's better to have more categories than fewer, if that means they'll describe the software better.

I left out "development" because "development tools" already seem to be described in a separate article, though I could be wrong; it's not really my area...

EDIT: Actually, I'm tempted to just keep VLC as "media player (video & audio)" instead of "multimedia" for now - it's more descriptive about its function.

Esn said:
Ok, so I suggest:
Office, Network, System, Multimedia, Audio, Graphics... and maybe more individual descriptions, if needed (i.e. from here). It's better to have more categories than fewer, if that means they'll describe the software better.

I left out "development" because "development tools" already seem to be described in a separate article, though I could be wrong; it's not really my area...

EDIT: Actually, I'm tempted to just keep VLC as "media player (video & audio)" instead of "multimedia" for now - it's more descriptive about its function.
OK, I agree with those. I guess the main thing is to make sure they describe the program well enough while not being overly specific, and so they work. Development tools... yeah leaving them on a separate page makes sense, most users wont care about them and those who do probably wouldn't look on this page anyway.

tsh said:
The Wiki only shows 2 users with admin rights.

Your post made me look around the wiki and I found the special pages list. Now I know about it.
It looks like Orkie made ED an admin, so hopefully the main page issue will be resolved.

Main page is now updated (Thanks ED). Please, anyone else who is interested - feel free to contribute to the wiki :) Tutorials, user guides, background information, key dates etc.

Yeah, I sent ED an updated page to save him some time, I don't think he realized until I sent him it that he's the only one who can edit that page right now. I can see a couple things I missed though... like a link to port requests.

Back