Pandora's 256megs A Joke.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisome

I believe I'm on-base with this, but to stop threads of fear and anger, and hopefully a truthful answer before the hoax goes too far, I believe craigix was joking with the 256mb of ram upgrade, most notably because it is in the "Worst Fears" thread. Now, the reason why its probably a joke is because they already have 600 made (hit the search button), 256mb wasn't available due to cost 6 months ago, and gossip goes around almost as fast as light around the world and is funny coming from the lead man, craigix.

With 600 Pandoras already made and going to be sent out soon is reason enough that production won't be stopped just to add some memory. The amount of memory to add was too expensive 6 months ago. It will take six months to change the configuration and order enough parts to supply the 256mb of ram (and 512 nand). Six months from now, 512mb will be cheap enough too, so we will wait longer then....AND SO ON.

Now for the last one, Happy Halloween? Gossip and fear makes a lie go around faster than shit stench from a hog farm during a hurricane. So is this a trick or is this a treat?

My worst fear about the Pandora is that I will never get a Pandora and the company will run off with my money. If the Pandora is pushed back, and my order cancelled, and would costs a little more to reorder, all this adds to my fear, and many others.

In any case, if the order is put off just to add memory when I was already happy with the amount that everyone said was fine, my money is pulled too. I support this project and am willing to continue the support as long as the developers don't really do business like that.

Cheerz,

Noisome

i believe that your quote of 600 complete units is false, all craigi said was that they have 600 screens atm, i could be mistaken but could you provide a link to this figure of 600 complete units

He has confirmed what he said. Why would he joke about that?
This is why I think the first post in the news thread should be changed to one of his other quotes

Any delays are still down to the LCDs, we have 640 and the rest are coming when ready.

My understanding of this statement is there is a delay of the LCDs, but they have 640 prepared and the rest when the LCDs are ready?

I could be mistaken, but still, an official word on the news or blog site is recommended. I just hope people don't panic as this is not true yet.

Noisome

Edit: QUOTE

He has confirmed what he said. Why would he joke about that?
This is why I think the first post in the news thread should be changed to one of his other quotes

I think I've mentioned a possible reason why, Halloween. Its like another April Fool's day prank possibly? QUOTE
halloween, scaring people. what's more scary than fucking with people's money?
I think a news thread should be posted only by someone who knows the news, like craigix. I don't know who mazza is and it was moved from General to the News section. This leads me to believe that its for pure speculation and a prank. If it was news, I hope Chip or Craigix posts it as news, instead of inside a "Fears" thread.

Noisome

Craig said that the memory change was as compensation for reordering issues, not that the memory change would require reorders. We didn't wait six months for the memory, and I seriously doubt we'd wait six months more for 512MB. There were unforseeable problems (e.g. prototypes destroyed in shipping) that delayed the (unofficial) release date.

I can completely understand cynicism, but the OP's post borders on paranoia and reads like a conspiracy theory. What was, to me at least, the most limiting factor for my use of the Pandora was upgraded, sacrificing any potential profit for the Pandora team, and people complain. I guess you just can't please some people.

Your looking into it completely wrong. They have 640 LCD's in their possession but require much more to meet the pre-orders. Just having the LCD's does not mean they have 640 completed products - as a matter of fact they don't if you look at the numerous other posts by CraigX - this will allow them to focus on other parts of the device.

256mb RAM is not a joke and for you to believe such has me concerned - why would he joke? Your logic is seriously lacking.

I posted about it because it was essentially confirmed in the other thread, and I wanted to let others know ASAP. Sorry if you didn't feel it was legitimate, but it is.

The re-ordering issues is the part that is confusing me. Is he referring to the Paypal mess?

There are no complete Pandoras so far. If there were any they would show one complete handheld on their blog and youtube. That is what everyone is waiting for now. Did it ever occur to you that they may have had 256 MBs on their mind for a while now and it has only become "official" now.

mazza558 said:
I posted about it because it was essentially confirmed in the other thread, and I wanted to let others know ASAP. Sorry if you didn't feel it was legitimate, but it is.
It is legitimate, but did you post it in General category or the News category?

Your logic is seriously lacking.

How is it lacking? Craigix has not confirmed nor denied fully the idea. How can you be so sure when proof is not in stone? Sure he mentioned it in passing in a Fears thread, trying to get people excited. I need proof saying "It will be 256mb of ram and 512 nand and I promise you will not get your Pandora, as we tried so hard to do, before Christmas -- Signed, Yours Truly, Craigix and Co."

Sorry, but most people don't need total proof of things and that's their choice. Don't insult my logic if you can't see the full potential for trickery. It was stated that he wants it to be delivered before Christmas more times than he says he will upgrade to 256mb of ram.

Your looking into it completely wrong. They have 640 LCD's in their possession but require much more to meet the pre-orders. Just having the LCD's does not mean they have 640 completed products - as a matter of fact they don't if you look at the numerous other posts by CraigX - this will allow them to focus on other parts of the device.

Then I stand corrected if that is the case. The way it is worded leads the understanding either way sometimes.

But however, does anyone else see that this is a possible joke?

Noisome

Last edited by a moderator:
Noisome said:
I believe I'm on-base with this, but to stop threads of fear and anger, and hopefully a truthful answer before the hoax goes too far, I believe craigix was joking with the 256mb of ram upgrade, most notably because it is in the "Worst Fears" thread. Now, the reason why its probably a joke is because they already have 600 made (hit the search button), 256mb wasn't available due to cost 6 months ago, and gossip goes around almost as fast as light around the world and is funny coming from the lead man, craigix.

With 600 Pandoras already made and going to be sent out soon is reason enough that production won't be stopped just to add some memory. The amount of memory to add was too expensive 6 months ago. It will take six months to change the configuration and order enough parts to supply the 256mb of ram (and 512 nand). Six months from now, 512mb will be cheap enough too, so we will wait longer then....AND SO ON.

My worst fear about the Pandora is that I will never get a Pandora and the company will run off with my money. If the Pandora is pushed back, and my order cancelled, and would costs a little more to reorder, all this adds to my fear, and many others.

Cheerz,

Noisome

Uh, no, Craig said they have 600+ LCDs for assembly in hand with more being delivered soon. As for a hoax, 256 RAM and 512mb NAND are confirmed for all Pandoras preordered, but Santa Claus, the Yeti, and the chupacabra are more than likely fictional. Sorry.

yaustar said:
The re-ordering issues is the part that is confusing me. Is he referring to the Paypal mess?
Without knowing all details, it would appear that the bank they were dumping the preorders into is jerking them around (how, it hasn't been said). They're changing banks, and an unfortunate consequence of this is that some (though not all, no details on specific numbers) of credit card orders need to be refunded and reordered.

He wouldn't joke about this for the simple fact that it would piss a lot of people off

This post doesn't sound like a joke, and from the way the devs have been conducting themselves, I have no reason to believe they'd f**k with us like this. They've been nothing but professional up to this point. If this were a joke, it would completely destroy whatever goodwill they've built up on this project, and any hope of turning this into a profitable business would be gone. I highly doubt this is a hoax.

Noisome,
Its real. Craigix has said it himself in the thread labeled clearly 256 MB upgrade.
This is in no way tied to the banking issue, that is between Craigix and his current banker. When faced with the reality that he may not be able to conduct business with this banker and jeapordize the creation of the Pandora per his commitment, he made the decision (or is making) to go to another banker. This is now outside of his hands, if the current banker decides to play ball, then nothing bad happens and we get upgraded units anyway. If not, then 'some' orders will need to be refunded and recharged, similar to the paypal fiasco.

Nubs were made first, then cables/etc... I assume. The SoC is one of the last pieces of the puzzle, and to my knowledge, they haven't been delivered yet. I doubt any pandoras are completed, otherwise, we would be seeing videos by now.
The increase in memory in the SoCs will not impact the timetable of the units, but the LCDs might. At no point did Craigix indicate that these units would ship 'soon'. I believe the newsletter stated end of November.

Yeah, just look at this authentic list of things craig likes to do in his spare time:

-work on the pandora
-pet kittens
-drink
-piss off his customers by playing cruel jokes on them
-helping orphans

obviously this is a hoax

Noisome said:
Your logic is seriously lacking.
How is it lacking? Craigix has not confirmed nor denied fully the idea. How can you be so sure when proof is not in stone? Sure he mentioned it in passing in a Fears thread, trying to get people excited. I need proof saying "It will be 256mb of ram and 512 nand and I promise you will not get your Pandora, as we tried so hard to do, before Christmas -- Signed, Yours Truly, Craigix and Co."

You were wrong before you posted
That's just ONE post in which he has said, point blank, 256MB of ram is going in, and they're footing the bill for the first round.

rmm21 said:
Uh, no, Craig said they have 600+ LCDs for assembly in hand with more being delivered soon. As for a hoax, 256 RAM and 512mb NAND are confirmed for all Pandoras preordered, but Santa Claus, the Yeti, and the chupacabra are more than likely fictional. Sorry.
Damnit. There is a Santa Claus and the Yeti is out there! It smacks the penguin quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back