Pandora's Dynasty

Wootson

This one goes out to all the nonbelievers, naysayers, and boycotters out there. Long live the Pandora! Greetings from a first day pre-orderer and happy Pandora owner.

http://wootsontv.com/pandoras-dynasty

Video material from the 1971 movie "A Clockwork Orange". Pandora pictures taken by myself (Fujifilm FinePix F30). Gameplay recorded by myself (Kodak Zi8).

• Alien Soldier (SEGA Mega Drive)
  • Super Mario Kart (SNES)
  • Quake 2 (PC)
  • Quake 3 Arena (PC)
  • Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA Mega Drive)
  • Chrono Trigger (SNES)
  • Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
  • Starwing (SNES)
  • Streets of Rage 2 (SEGA Mega Drive)
  • Zero Wing (SEGA Mega Drive)

Music: Bill Conti - Theme from Dynasty (1981 ~ 1989)

And yes, there's going to be more of these videos!
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Blocked due to copyrighted content.

Yep, saw that. :angry: Going to replace the link with the one from Dailymotion in a few minutes! Hopefully that will work, but sometimes they block videos too.

In the meanwhile I also created a new account at Metacafe. If YouTube continues to irritate me with this stuff, I'm going to move to a new platform permanently.

Edit: The Dailymotion version seems to work properly. However it does not seem possible to embed this here at the forums.

Great video, I haven't watched it all so far.

How did you get Quake 3 working so well, I heard there were some nub issues with both builds?

Looking forward to more videos. Thanks.

Great video, I haven't watched it all so far.

How did you get Quake 3 working so well, I heard there were some nub issues with both builds?

Looking forward to more videos. Thanks.

Quake 3 runs full speed out of the box for me. I used the original game files from my copy on Steam. This included a gameplay demo which you see running in the video. It's not me playing the game, but I have tried it and it works fine after adjusting the nubs yourself. Although there are some weird issues with the control scheme, because every now and then it gets stuck for some reason. This is Quake 3 related though, I'm sure of it.

I noticed that in one of the pics you had a PSP in it too and was wondering if you could tell me if you really notice the ghosting on the Pandoras screen on sonic or not because right now all I have is a PSP FAT and I can't stand to play sonic on it because of how bad the ghosting is especially the first level on sonic 2 it looks like a giant blur even before you hit the speed up blocks. I've just been curious about it because at first everyone said there wasn't any ghosting and lately some people have said that they've noticed some. :huh:

Nice video by the way. :D

Quake 3 runs full speed out of the box for me. I used the original game files from my copy on Steam. This included a gameplay demo which you see running in the video. It's not me playing the game, but I have tried it and it works fine after adjusting the nubs yourself. Although there are some weird issues with the control scheme, because every now and then it gets stuck for some reason. This is Quake 3 related though, I'm sure of it.

I thought that was very good aiming and strafing to do all on the Pandora :)

It looks really good on the Pandora, in fact all the games you showed did. The screen looks very nice, deep blacks in 4:3 bordered games, bodes well.

I noticed that in one of the pics you had a PSP in it too and was wondering if you could tell me if you really notice the ghosting on the Pandoras screen on sonic or not because right now all I have is a PSP FAT and I can't stand to play sonic on it because of how bad the ghosting is especially the first level on sonic 2 it looks like a giant blur even before you hit the speed up blocks. I've just been curious about it because at first everyone said there wasn't any ghosting and lately some people have said that they've noticed some. :huh:

Nice video by the way. :D

Well let me first say that I have absolutely zero experience with homebrew and emulation on the PSP. I bought myself a GP2X F-100 (during 2006) and a Wiz (late 2009) for that. On the other side, I must say that I seem to be very sensitive for the ghosting phenomenon on LCD screens, but I haven't seen any serious stuff yet on the Pandora. Even on monitors which claimed to have 2ms speeds I saw it happening. It's not that I'm badly irritated by all this, but once noticed it seems to never disappear...

I can say that I saw a little ghosting on the mouse pointer in the desktop environment, but not yet in any games. And Sonic the Hedgehog seems to run rather smooth in my opinion. At least it's not something that is noticeable every second. You really need to focus on it, else you can't see it. But as I said before, what has been seen, cannot be unseen.

Next week I'm going to have a more serious inspection. But for now I can say that there is no color blending and such ridiculous things. Also the viewing angles are really superb on the screen compared to similar devices. Everyone who I showed the Pandora to have said the same. You can hold the Pandora at the maximum angle and still see what is going on on the screen, without piss-yellow colors. Plus, I'd rather have a really good viewing angle than a "faster" screen.

I thought that was very good aiming and strafing to do all on the Pandora :)

It looks really good on the Pandora, in fact all the games you showed did. The screen looks very nice, deep blacks in 4:3 bordered games, bodes well.

Of course with the nubs such things would never be possible. If I could hook-up a mouse and keyboard, I could eventually play like was shown in the video. In the past I played quite some Quake 3, so that won't be a problem. :D A little while ago I saw that a setup with mouse and keyboard is indeed possible (video from EvilDragon), so I'm eventually going to try that myself too and possibly record the results.

Excellent video! If it doesn't work for you, make sure your script blocker is not blocking it. Must see!

This brilliant video seems to be gone from dailymotion / casttv / the interwebs now. :angry:

Also wootsontv.com DNS does not resolve, but sir wootson was here on the boards yesterday. :blink:

I'm pretty sure I downloaded the video. I'll copy it onto my own servers when I find it.

( I guess Wootson is unlikely to sue for copyright infringement! )

To watch blocked videos try "youtube unblocker" browser plugin.

Thanks, that's interesting; but I don't think this video was ever on youtube. If it was, I don't know where.

If you can find this video, please let me know where it is now.

Back