Pandora's Rival: The Gizmondo

yaustar

UK GP32 & GP2X Owner
Website
Visit site
From MCV magazine:

Gizmondo will rival DS and PSP, says new team... no, honestly.

"We can compete with DS and PSP. An open platform offers something new." Ian Murphy, Plextek

"Little is known about the new iteration, but Plextek technical director Ian Murphy told MCV it would be a fully open platform, allowing amateur developers to create and share homemade titles.

"There's no reason we can't compete. An open platform will offer something that other handhelds can't"

Download the full article from the Print Magazine here: http://www.mcvuk.com/

It does make me wonder how much research they have done on previous non-mainstream handhelds and how close they are to release.

On the side, since this is getting a lot of media attention, the marketing of the Pandora can piggy back on the whole 'open platform' aspect if they can get in before the Gizmondo since it is what it is most likely to be compared to.

'the device itself will remain "almost identical" - as a homebrew system,'

Well, a hacked version of the Gizmondo that plays homebrew was disappointing, despite it's 400Mhz ARM processor and NVidia graphics. So if the new version is going to be pretty much the same, but with added homebrew support out of the box, it's not going to threaten anything and the Pandora people need not worry.

Lets face it, a 400Mhz ARM9 with 64MB and WinCE is old hat.

people will probably be slow to trust gizmondo again anyway. there may be rough waters ahead actually. has craig gotten copy rights yet? (remember, these are criminals we are dealing with)

crash vid

Replace Ferrari with Bugatti Veyron and Dietrich with Tony. ;)

I'm off to visit the Gizmondo forum now to see whether they've started proclaiming the news as akin to the second coming of Christ. :D

Can you post a link to the whole article? I think wires have got crossed somewhere, as I don't think Plextek will have anything to do with the Gizmondo after what happened last time - I think the quotes must be from the original release...

Gruntfuggly said:
Can you post a link to the whole article? I think wires have got crossed somewhere, as I don't think Plextek will have anything to do with the Gizmondo after what happened last time - I think the quotes must be from the original release...
You have to download the print edition from here (registration required) if you want to read the full article, however I managed to find an excerpt here that mentions Plextek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I love the Gizmondo.
Was all over the place when it was hacked...

I have all the games original boxed, even the unreleased.
Hope it is going to work out for the Gizmondo, because the follow that will be released around christmas this year (from the interview) is very sweet!

Linkous said:
people will probably be slow to trust gizmondo again anyway. there may be rough waters ahead actually. has craig gotten copy rights yet? (remember, these are criminals we are dealing with)
I'd say the Pandora is in a worse position as far as trust is concerned..

teggun said:
Linkous said:

Are you kidding? Ever read this story?

There are links to other stuff at the bottom of the article.

teggun said:
Yes, it's tricky. A device from a company with a long history, and where the main man posts on these forums, or an unknown company which entered the market, laundered some cash, got into the news with a nice car crash, and then closed up shop. I can see your point...

teggun said:
I am really wondering what makes you say so.

The people involved in Pandora are known by this community and can be trusted (at least I trust them).
That doesn't make it 100% sure we will see the Pandora, but I certainly trust them more than people gambling cash as Gizmondo's guys :)

craigix said:
Also none of us have been sent to prison!
Or hasn't, as far as I know anyways, long-going ties to organised crime, long before you started the company...

Let's just say that the gizmondo boys didn't start the game with a clear slate...:)

craigix said:
Also none of us have been sent to prison!
Last time I checked, the Pandora didn't channel "exciting psychic worlds" so I would suggest that you keep your mouth shut, capeche?

Gizmondo is backed by a rather large team of wealthy investors and companies... The Pandora is not

MaGaIn said:
Gizmondo is backed by a rather large team of wealthy investors and companies... The Pandora is not
And Craig, sitting in his mansion, laughs while sipping his wine and eating his sasquatch sirloin.

Back