Release Passage

foxblock

Asleep
I ported Jason Rohrer's "Passage" to the Pandora.

It's a very immersive side-scroller and probably unlike most things you have played so far.

I won't go into describing the game-play or much more of the game here as it's best experienced unspoiled so you can draw your own, personal conclusions from it.

The game is only (exactly and always) 5 minutes long and please consider replaying it if you don't "get" it the first time.

It can be downloaded from the repo: http://repo.openpand...assage.foxblock

It starts full-screen by default, which can be toggled by pressing 'F', apart from that use the D-PAD to move and START to quit. On the title press any key (except START) to begin the game.

The website of the game (including an artist statement, links to a Win32 and Mac build - PM me for a Linux build - and the source code can be found here): http://hcsoftware.so...rge.net/passage

Share your thoughts and feedback on the game here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it for iOS, it's worth the time. Thanks for the port!

Very nice game, and I hope we can get permission to port Inside a Star-Filled Sky as well, as it is *perfect* for the Pandora ..

I remember reading about this ages ago and wanting to play it. A touching little game, with lots of nice subtle touches in the design. Definitely should be played two or three times, then go to the author website and read his statement on it, then play it more. Thanks for the port foxblock :)

A very profound game, to say the least. From a technical standpoint I love the pixel "lensing" effect which compresses your future and, ultimately, your past.

And there's a Mac version. Bonus points!

My brain is far too literal for stuff like this - what's it saying? As you get older you become more pixelated? Maybe you'll meet a girl but the main effect is that she'll stop you going places?

I read the creative statement and think: well yeah, fine, but it's still a bit obvious and boring. I realize the two aren't really comparable, but I think the movie 'Up' explored a similar theme to much greater effect.

Sorry for the negativity - I know I'm a philistine (I've mostly being playing 'formido' alately, a game where you shoot bugs. In the head. With a big gun. Every game lasts about 295 seconds less than this one.)

Thank you for the port though!

The "Partner" mechanic is a strange one. It basically prevents you negotiating one-block-wide passages in the South/North directions, stopping you from reaching or opening chests and hindering your exploration in any one particular area. You can continue to galavant through "Life" ( Eastward ) to your hearts content, though.

It's fair to say that this is a fairly grounded and realistic mechanic. My wife always gets in the way when I'm trying to grab chests.

lol. And after I resisted making any daft jokes about exporing Jason Rohror's passage.

Very nice game, and I hope we can get permission to port Inside a Star-Filled Sky as well, as it is *perfect* for the Pandora ..
Yes, this one is on my list, can't predict when I get to it though.

The "Partner" mechanic is a strange one. It basically prevents you negotiating one-block-wide passages in the South/North directions, stopping you from reaching or opening chests and hindering your exploration in any one particular area. You can continue to galavant through "Life" ( Eastward ) to your hearts content, though.

It's fair to say that this is a fairly grounded and realistic mechanic. My wife always gets in the way when I'm trying to grab chests.
Well as I interpret it getting a parter means cutting back on some things as you will have to make compromises and probably hinder each other in some ways. This is represented by the fact that you cannot explore the game as much as when you wander alone.

With the south direction being the more "adventurous" route as it's more convoluted, but also more rewarding (you will find more chests there), you can only walk a calm and straight path when you are a couple.

But at the same time your journey on a whole will get more pleasant, as walking together usually is more fun and rewarding than walking alone - this is represented by the fact that you get 2 points for each tile movement forward instead of 1 when walking alone (oh and chests are also worth double).

In general I find a real life meaning for all of the elements of the game, which is stunning as it's such a simple way, yet so deep and meaningful (or I am just good at over-interpreting things, who knows? :p ) - it certainly got me thinking.

Took me 2 goes to realise you could go up & down as well as left & right. Curiously affecting for such a minimalist game. Great port Foxblock, keep up the good work.

Took me 2 goes to realise you could go up & down as well as left & right. Curiously affecting for such a minimalist game. Great port Foxblock, keep up the good work.

Me, too, actually.
That's very interesting actually - it seems to be a common problem, there is even a note in bold about this on the official website (and in the pnd readme).

I wonder why one does not realize being able to move vertically, is it just because you start at the top-border? :S

You can learn a lot about game design and the average human thinking and behaviour by those common "mistakes".

Well I guess life is about learning and so is this game ;)

Me, too, actually.
That's very interesting actually - it seems to be a common problem, there is even a note in bold about this on the official website (and in the pnd readme).

I wonder why one does not realize being able to move vertically, is it just because you start at the top-border? :S

You can learn a lot about game design and the average human thinking and behaviour by those common "mistakes".

Well I guess life is about learning and so is this game ;)

It's probably a design thing (not a critique of the gameplay at all), but when you see open space to the right and black below you in a game, you assume you can just go right. Also, the title "Passage" suggests a big long passage, which supports the "I can only go right" idea. Also, I didn't read the readme or the documentation for the game before playing, ha ha.

Back