Paying By Google Checkout

vampire8bit

Just a quick question regarding paying for the Pandora using Google checkout. If we pay using our credit cards and the Pandora project fails or things go wrong and we never get the pandora or it is damaged etc. are we still protected and can get and our money back?

Hirolaser said:
Just a quick question regarding paying for the Pandora using Google checkout. If we pay using our credit cards and the Pandora project fails or things go wrong and we never get the pandora or it is damaged etc. are we still protected and can get and our money back?
Technically, you can issue a chargeback up to (I think) 60 days after purchase. It may be 30 days. Within that time, you'll get your money back from your credit card, and your credit company is responsible for getting it from OpenPandora.
After that time, it becomes murky. To be refunded, it has to come from OpenPandora. Now, so long as they are still operating, if you want a refund, they have to give it to you. Well, technically they don't have to give it to you: if you call them on it, they either have to give you a Pandora (which you paid for) or your money back. Since no Pandora exists yet, they would be forced to refund your money.
If things fall through, they are required to pay creditors first, with whatever money they have. Second, they must refund customers for as much money as they can. Finally, investors get whatever is left. In other cases I've dealt with, investors usually get nothing, which leads to the conclusion that some customers do not get refunds. Most will, but if there's no more money, there's just no more money. It's part of the risk of the pre-order.
If you are in any way worried, don't buy from the first batch. Wait until the second batch runs in 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
There pretty deep into the project to fail. If it gets damage both Craig and Evildragon have said countless times that they will replace it, and that is why there were originally so many delays as they wanted to be sure the hardware is as tested as possible before putting it out there. Evildragon has a history of getting GP2X fixed or replaced for his costumers, so it's safe to expect the same level of service if not better. This is also why there is going to be a rest period between the first and second batches, to look after the first batch members. This is not a product purchase, this is an investment, at least initially.

WizardStan said:
Hirolaser said:
Technically, you can issue a chargeback up to (I think) 60 days after purchase. It may be 30 days. Within that time, you'll get your money back from your credit card, and your credit company is responsible for getting it from OpenPandora.
After that time, it becomes murky. To be refunded, it has to come from OpenPandora. Now, so long as they are still operating, if you want a refund, they have to give it to you. Well, technically they don't have to give it to you: if you call them on it, they either have to give you a Pandora (which you paid for) or your money back. Since no Pandora exists yet, they would be forced to refund your money.
If things fall through, they are required to pay creditors first, with whatever money they have. Second, they must refund customers for as much money as they can. Finally, investors get whatever is left. In other cases I've dealt with, investors usually get nothing, which leads to the conclusion that some customers do not get refunds. Most will, but if there's no more money, there's just no more money. It's part of the risk of the pre-order.
If you are in any way worried, don't buy from the first batch. Wait until the second batch runs in 2010.

Most banks are 30 days if you use your visa check card. A credit card esp Amex is your safest bet. I work specifically in the chargeback department for the company I work for and deal with chargebacks for a living.

So my advice pay with a Credit Card, not a Debit or check card if you are worried. Amex and Discover are your best bets.

Thanks for the replies guys, I originally was going to pay by cheque because I thought that banks would not allow us to pay by credit card. From the thread re. the "last 100 units newsletter" people were starting to pay by Google checkout using credit cards so I thought that that might offer protection and be safer than paying by cheque but wasn't sure. I emailed to pay by Google checkout and got my invoice and order number and link from Openpandora but the damn link didn't work - I got an error from Google Checkout. I emailed again to Openpandora requesting a another email as it may have been an error from them for which I'm still waiting. I'm getting impatient now and might just take the risk and pay by cheque which I'm assuming has no protection if anything goes wrong.

I originally paid via wire transfer, but then bought the av out cable via google. Google keeps tabs on me, and says I can review the order online. I wrote them a nice four star review, indicating that they have guaranteed shipping in two weeks™, but the flux capacitor is out of whack, and I'm stuck in a causality loop of the indefinite two week™ wait time.

Gruso said:
Visa Debit should give you the same consumer protection as regular Visa.

Though by beig a debit card your a limited to 30 days to file a claim from the date of withdraw of funds from your bank account. A few and mainly credit unions will allow you 60 days. Its best to pay with an actual Visa credit card vs a visa check card aka visa debit

Back