PC-link software trouble

peyotl

Still Fresh
Hi all,
only had me GP32 several days but cannot get the PC-link software running without communication errors. It errors whenever i try to delete GP32 files, install the free launcher i have downloaded, or transfer files from PC to GP32. I have had the link working only once. I transfered an mp3 file and some doom files. Could there be a problem with my SMC because I started transfering files before I was registered and I never formatted the card? Is there a way of formatting the SMC in another device? (camera, PC, etc.) The mp3 that I transfered still works though. And I have managed to register my GP32 on the official site now (http://english.gamepark.com) although I could not login on their permanent website.

Hmm... communication error - you mean the one when you try to upload anything bigger than 256kb? Been there, done that, know how to fix it... drastically.
There's two ways I know of that sort it out - re-installing windows, and using a different computer (both of which I know to work). If you want to try something less extreme to start with, though, or you don't have another USB-enabled PC, try uninstalling/re-installing the USB driver, and see if it works in a USB 1.1 slot instead of a USB 2 slot (if you've got any on your PC). You should find that transfering files SMALLER than 256kb works fine though. So stick to black and white GB stuff and you'll be fine...

... I think its worth fixing it, personally.

Tried using different computers. Failed on all four so far. Also the error appears whether I transfer a really small file or just try to delete something.
Can I format my SMC on another hardware device?

Hello,
I also have a question about the PClink software. I downloaded the free launcher and the register was successful, but when I try to send a file to my gp32 my computer says "unknown error occurred" and then "Couldn't send file to gp32" or something like that. Anyone know why that happened? Someone please help me. Thanks! :)

Well, I remember I got a communication error when I hadn't got an SMC inserted too (when I was trying to autorise my GP32). But I'm rather assuming you do have an SMC (you need one to write to - just saying because some people assume the 8mb internal memory is a hard-disk type memory - it isn't; its RAM).
Errrm...
Other than that, I'm not sure... check the USB connection... turn on GP32, put in the cable, go to PC-Link mode in that order for the most reliable... also check to see if the GP32 is giving any errors in PC-Link mode (Like "No SMC inserted" or "USB error").
Oh - and try new batteries; could also be a problem (usually needed if you can see the screen flickering, but could be needed anyway)

Finally, just to make sure, you have installed the USB driver, right? I assume so, coz otherwise you'd have ahd trouble getting the GP32 authorised, but hey - I could be wrong.

Sorry I can't be of any more help... those are the only communications error causes I've come across.

I do get a USB error when connecting with the PC link software. Could this be to do with problems with my SMC? I ask as I managed to get the link to work the first time and copied an mp3 and some doom files across. But this was before I registered and the card was not formatted. Ever since I have had connection problems. The driver was installed ok to begin with. But after the error occurs there appears to be a problem with the drivers.

Can't format it because PC-link won't let me. Is there any other way that I can format the card? Also would u mind answering a few really simple questions?
Where is my user ID located? (Is it the code on silver tag on gp32 box?)
When I authorize my GP32 does anything save to the SMC?
If so does this mean I should not do anything to the SMC until I have authorized my GP32?
much appreciated :rolleyes:

Got the same problem. I used Windows 2000 but it is not a reason because on second computer with win2k pclink works ok. Actually i installed windows98 and now everything is ok. Probably you messed with drivers and thats cause a problem.

Back