Pcsx4All Compatibility List

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
- The Somewhat Unofficial PCSX4ALL Wiz Compatibility list -
Anyone can edit this, feel free to contribute your own findings. I'll be making a downloaded backup from time to time just in case. Future Versions of the emulator will have separate compatibility docs which can be based off of this one.

Please be aware of which version of the emulator you're testing - Check the readme and use the proper sheet accordingly.

Compatibility Lists:
July 31 , 2010 - Version 1.0 (Gp32spain GP2X Wiz Programming Competition release) (165 Entries)

Color-Code full entries based on the following criteria:

• Green/A - Fully Playable with 1 Frame skip or lower - may have minor issues or slowdowns.
  • Blue/B - Playable with frameskip - may contain glitches/graphical corruption.
  • Red/C - Compatible, slow
  • Black/F - Unplayable - Fails to start, crashes, or has graphical or other errors rendering the game unplayable.
  • Pink/* - Mark Any entry that's missing any information in this Color, and change it's status Accordingly - Add the reason to the notes.

Options are as follows:

• Status - Add the color Coding status here, for easy sorting of the list.
  • Filetype - The file type. iso, bin, cue, etc. - Be sure to add all file extensions (Bin + Cue for example)
  • Region - U/NTSC, E/PAL, J/NTSC
  • Wiz Clock - Add a clock of 800 or lower to the list, with higher clock rate results in the notes.
  • Ram Tweaks - ON, OFF
  • FrameLimit - ON, OFF
  • FrameSkip - # (Video), # (Game)
  • Sound - ON (Basic), ON (XA), ON (CDA), ON(XA+CDA), OFF - Please test for the fastest value
  • CPU Clock - Best PSX CPU Clock - Use 100% unless lower (or higher) values produce error-free results.
  • CPU Bias - Best PSX CPU Multi. - Start with 2, test for higher values.
  • CPU Core - HLE, BIOS, HLE(S), HLE(I), BIOS(I) - Post the fastest, working value.
  • Game Fixes - SIO IRQ, SPU IRQ, Parasite Eve, Inuyasha, None - Specify what the fix does in the notes
  • Notes - Type in anything of interest here. Graphical issues, Framerates, sound issues, etc.

Other Information:

• Please Do Not remove entries from this list. If any information (aside from notes) is missing, color-code the entry PINK and change it's status accordingly - add the reason why in the notes section.
  • Sort the entries by selecting row 4 to the end of the list, select Tools - Sort, Press the + Add another sort option, change the first drop-down box to Column B, press SORT - The entries should now be sorted.

Old Versions/Backup Copies (for reference):

July 31 , 2010 - Version 1.0 (Gp32spain GP2X Wiz Programming Competition release)

Great idea thanx.
I've add Spyro!
If somebody can run Dragon Quest(Warrior)7 post your config please!
Same for Chrono Cross!

Please don't use adjectives like "playable" in your list, without putting actual performance (percentage of speed it should be executing at). Also, it seems unwise to overclock to the hairy edge of what your Wiz is capable of, since this is entirely likely to still cause problems - if you end up with issues I suggest confirming that they happen at a lower clock speed too.

Exophase said:
Please don't use adjectives like "playable" in your list, without putting actual performance (percentage of speed it should be executing at). Also, it seems unwise to overclock to the hairy edge of what your Wiz is capable of, since this is entirely likely to still cause problems - if you end up with issues I suggest confirming that they happen at a lower clock speed too.

I try not to use Playable as a term, but here it's sort of necessary. The list provides the function of telling you what works, and what doesn't. Also, it turns out 800 Wasn't the highest my Wiz could overclock to. Apparently I was wrong, as I can go all the way up to 820 and still not see any issues. I've been testing at 800.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saying, don't use it by itself where possible. Am I right in guessing that the emulator doesn't include a framerate/percentage counter of some form?

Exophase said:
Just saying, don't use it by itself where possible. Am I right in guessing that the emulator doesn't include a framerate/percentage counter of some form?
You can see the framerate during gameplay pressing L+R+Select.

Okay, then I'm wrong in assuming it and limiting the description to how "playable" it is is not necessary, so please include framerates (or percentages. If it lists x/y give both.. I don't know if rate is per-vsync or per flip)

1st prize? I'm really surprised... Most of the great games for PSX won't even start and games like Parappa the rapper (omg...) play full speed. I've already tried running Blood Omen (which is 2D) and Crash Bandicoot and they wont even start. Funny, because using PSX4all I at least got up to the game... I congratulate the winners for all their hard work but I feel there's something I might be missing out here... For something that someone got money for, it should at least be better than its predecessor.. And I was so looking forward to its release!
I hope there are compatibility updates soon and that the dev(s) don't run off to the Carribean with their winnings!

Congrats though, anyway!

I was a little saddened by the performance as well. However you really need to mess with the settings. If a game doesn't load try a different CPU setting. If it was on HLE try changing it to Bios. It has better compatibility. Also mess with the bias settings. That will also greatly affect the speed. This is an emulator that you'll really need to experiment with to get good or decent results. Also this is a first release. I was personally hoping that Notaz would've won for his Ginge program. It's such a useful program. I really appreciate the work that has gone into pcsx4all and it really does show.

Wow, I didn't realize that winning $763 (surely split between at least two people) meant that it had to meet your standards. Just to put it in perspective, that amount of money is worth perhaps 40 man hours of fairly low earning programmer time. I doubt pcsx4all was done in 40 man hours, but all that aside, it was a contest and the top prize could have been given to a half broken chip8 emulator if it was still better than everything else. Unless you contributed all of that $763 I'm not sure you have much room to complain..

And don't say most games don't work just because two of the three games you tried didn't >_>

Anyway, I looked at the spreadsheet and am glad to see that FPS are being listed afterall. An explanation for some games that say "60/60, but still slow" - playing with the "CPU bias" value is causing the game to be shortchanged on clocks and not able to run its own logic in time for its normal updates. The upshoot of this is that you'll probably still get audio at the proper rate. The downshoot is you might break the game entirely. Another disadvantage is that games are often synchronized per frames, so if you make the game loop take 1.1 frames you're liable to cut the speed in half - this phenomenon was visible all the time when slowdown happened in old NES games. This will be most true for games that are running at a locked framerate and don't expect to not meet that rate. If the emulator is taking 1.1 times as long then it really will just be 1.1 times slower.

You're right, Exophase, I haven't contributed anything so maybe I don't have the right to complain. But I'm not sure all that "upcoming PSX emu" hype was worth it. Sure, many people, including myself, were expecting it but I think the expectations at least exceed those of psx4all. Also, when I say "most games" I mean that some of the best PSX games are listed in "black" (unplayable) in the list given above, so I didn't make it up. I'm sure there was an enormous amount of effort put into this project but I question it winning the first place. I think many people will find GINGE (or even a better GBA emulator, if there was one), for example, much more useful (and usable)... That of course being my opinion. I'm sure there will be updates that fix many issues, as there are with most emulators.

craigix said:
I too think Ginge should have won, but that's the way these things go. PCSX is still a great piece of work.

You're right. Sorry for getting emotional!

The compatibility is a bit sad. I was hoping to at least see Tomb Raider and Crash go in-game no matter how slow it actually ran, but both of them crash before even getting in-game. But what could I do about it?

"Best games" is extremely subjective. I've gotten completely slammed for doing an emulator that doesn't support a couple of someone's favorite games, when it otherwise has pretty good compatibility. I see exactly 5 games on that list so far, a list which is itself far too short to really say anything. Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions, or maybe you think only those 5 games were great?

The only thing more subjective is "GINGE should have won." But if we're going to go down that path, what criteria can we use to compare the two? If you want to take a stab at it please consider this: pcsx4all must have been far more work despite being based on other work, because doing an ARM recompiler and GTE ASM and new pad plugin and various fixes and whatever else is more work than emulating the amount of MMSP hardware GINGE does (I think notaz will agree with me on this).. if it's a matter of how useful it is, most decent emulators on GP2X were ported to Wiz and the games of interest are mainly Payback and Cave Story. So if you think the GP2X exclusive games combined are a better experience than the compatible PS1 games on pcsx4all then I guess you'd vote for GINGE on this basis, otherwise you wouldn't.

GINGE serves the positive ulterior motive as being perhaps more useful on Pandora than on Wiz, since Pandora still has less quality emulator ports. notaz obviously picked this project for this purpose as well, and to good effect. But this wasn't a Pandora competition so the results shouldn't have anything to do with this.

I myself haven't tried pcsx4all yet, but the videos don't lie. Surely, like everyone else has been saying, getting the myriad of settings right plays a big role. Anyone report tested with only BIOS HLE enabled (regardless of whether or not the "secure" option is on) should be taken with scrutiny because obviously the HLE isn't perfect and you'll get better results sometimes with a real BIOS. Unfortunately a real BIOS is something people have to go download and I'm sure is something some aren't bothering with. There's a tremendous amount of user error possible in any other number of areas too, like bad rips. I'd wait for the list to get bigger and for more people to cross check it before writing things off.

Guys I just found a flaw in the pcsx controls on oddworld abe's oddysee. Quite early on in the game it asks you to chant by pressing and holding L1 and L2. Then you try and do it and find you can't because on the wiz L=L1 and L+Select=L2 so it is impossible. Correct me if I am wrong and if there is an easy workaround for this, but from what I can see it is not possible. Is this something I should put on the spreadsheet?

matt101 said:
Guys I just found a flaw in the pcsx controls on oddworld abe's oddysee. Quite early on in the game it asks you to chant by pressing and holding L1 and L2. Then you try and do it and find you can't because on the wiz L=L1 and L+Select=L2 so it is impossible. Correct me if I am wrong and if there is an easy workaround for this, but from what I can see it is not possible. Is this something I should put on the spreadsheet?
I would make a note of it.

Reo said:
The compatibility is a bit sad. I was hoping to at least see Tomb Raider and Crash go in-game no matter how slow it actually ran, but both of them crash before even getting in-game. But what could I do about it?
Try messing with settings, especially with that bias one, it causes various effects ranging from emulator crash, game crash, game logic breakage to a working game.

Exophase said:
The only thing more subjective is "GINGE should have won." But if we're going to go down that path, what criteria can we use to compare the two? If you want to take a stab at it please consider this: pcsx4all must have been far more work despite being based on other work, because doing an ARM recompiler and GTE ASM and new pad plugin and various fixes and whatever else is more work than emulating the amount of MMSP hardware GINGE does (I think notaz will agree with me on this)..
I kind of do but be aware that minor amount of work went into emulating MMSP hardware. Most time was spent trying to get things like patched instruction context saving/loading working correctly, loader's and game's C libraries playing nice together (there are things like pthread structures hidden in every thread's stack so you have to get them in sync), fighting with programs for signal handlers, and more issues I forgot now. Wiz also actually has less free RAM than GP2X, where some games map whole upper 32MB for themselves, so I had to split that between Wiz upper and Linux memory (simply sticking a swapfile made Payback to crawl). There is a bit of asm for anti-tear rotation too.

Exophase said:
"Best games" is extremely subjective. I've gotten completely slammed for doing an emulator that doesn't support a couple of someone's favorite games, when it otherwise has pretty good compatibility. I see exactly 5 games on that list so far, a list which is itself far too short to really say anything. Don't you think you're jumping to conclusions, or maybe you think only those 5 games were great?

The only thing more subjective is "GINGE should have won." But if we're going to go down that path, what criteria can we use to compare the two? If you want to take a stab at it please consider this: pcsx4all must have been far more work despite being based on other work, because doing an ARM recompiler and GTE ASM and new pad plugin and various fixes and whatever else is more work than emulating the amount of MMSP hardware GINGE does (I think notaz will agree with me on this).. if it's a matter of how useful it is, most decent emulators on GP2X were ported to Wiz and the games of interest are mainly Payback and Cave Story. So if you think the GP2X exclusive games combined are a better experience than the compatible PS1 games on pcsx4all then I guess you'd vote for GINGE on this basis, otherwise you wouldn't.

GINGE serves the positive ulterior motive as being perhaps more useful on Pandora than on Wiz, since Pandora still has less quality emulator ports. notaz obviously picked this project for this purpose as well, and to good effect. But this wasn't a Pandora competition so the results shouldn't have anything to do with this.

I myself haven't tried pcsx4all yet, but the videos don't lie. Surely, like everyone else has been saying, getting the myriad of settings right plays a big role. Anyone report tested with only BIOS HLE enabled (regardless of whether or not the "secure" option is on) should be taken with scrutiny because obviously the HLE isn't perfect and you'll get better results sometimes with a real BIOS. Unfortunately a real BIOS is something people have to go download and I'm sure is something some aren't bothering with. There's a tremendous amount of user error possible in any other number of areas too, like bad rips. I'd wait for the list to get bigger and for more people to cross check it before writing things off.

I don't think the amount of time/effort should make any difference. It's all about the results. Ginge just works better, feels more complete and brings a lot more to the plate. It's kind of fantastic that you can play the winning entry on the runner up on the Pandora.

PCSX is a great achievement but I don't think it had the edge over Ginge at the time they were judged. It almost felt like the result of the emulator competition was decided before we even knew the entries, the magic PSX emu was coming and it would win!

I think Ginge is a much more interesting bit of software as it opens up so many more possibilities than PCSX right now.

Back