PengPod - sort of OpenPandora-tablet?

lomaxx

There is a new crowdfunding-project going on:

http://pengpod.com/

In general it sounds interesting (to me), though I would prefer to see e.g. the ARM Cortex-A15 being used.

I just saw that. Really, its relation to Pandora is more that it's an arm device that runs linux on arm, though it dual boots with Android. I like that it has a keyboard for just $19 more.

I'm sort of debating it, but I'm not sure I'd use it once my iControlPad 2 arrives, or when my upgraded Pandora gets here. It'd be nice to have a full-keyboard to type with on the couch, though, so I might give in, especially if it looks like I could help tip the balance toward them getting their funding.

Right now they're at $34,045 of their $49,000 goal with 9 days to go (December 2nd being the final day). The fundraiser is at http://www.indiegogo.com/pengpod?a=1797976 if anyone's curious.

What is it with these endless WOW LINUX AND ANDROID DUAL-BOOTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arm setups

Admittedly there are more of the devboards-in-cases around, but who wants to buy an obscure arm linux box? Is everyone aping the Pi?

I apologise for being grumpy...

Don't be grumpy, Ubuntu running on ARM is a good thing, and Android too - and soon enough, running them with each other/alongside is going to mean a lot of interesting potential. Ubuntu provides a superlative development environment, and if they get the ARM software-store working as per plan (after penetration of ARM tablets) then there will be a new platform for Linux/Free/OSS/Commercial developers in that space. It can't all be iOS and Android exclusively .. other OS's make sense on Tablet too, and there are reasons to do them again and again, after all ..

Bumping this as it is funded and was wondering what anyone else might think of this. I'm still thinking about the 7".

^^ I think it's an awesome alternative to the ipad and or various ( conventional ) android tablets .

Last edited by a moderator:
I bit the bullet and went with a 7" dual boot setup. Not much time left for anyone else looking to get in on this.

Looks like a rebranded generic chinese tablet.

(the PengStick looks exactly like the dozens of mini-pc-sticks you find on dx.com)

Not sure what's exactly so cool about this particular device.

And it surely has absolutely nothing to do with the Pandora project .. (oh wait, it starts with a 'P')

It looks pretty nice.

Wonder will Linux be able to do anything better in the Tablet market than it does in the home computer market.

Back