People are watching us...

XxionxX

Website
www.mcdonaldranch.org
The unit in question.

I know it is not the same, but these units seem to be getting more an more popular. This is at least the third unit I have seen which seems to be a derivative of our beloved Panda. It might just be a coincidence but it feel like people really want a small unit like the Pandora. I can't wait to get mine and show it to everyone. I am going to be a one man marketing campaign (for the Panda not this unit).

Old. This is in the Off-Topic already. It's still in the concept stage, and no one here thinks it'll do well.

I can remember quite a lot of pre-Pandora pocket computers with a very similar form-factor, some of which did indeed have a bit of a gaming scene. Does that mean that the Pandora is derived from them? ;)

I can remember quite a lot of pre-Pandora pocket computers with a very similar form-factor, some of which did indeed have a bit of a gaming scene. Does that mean that the Pandora is derived from them? ;)

You mean we spied on the spies!!?? WHAT KIND OF MADNESS IS THIS!?

I was really commenting on the fact that people seem to like this form factor. In my opinion the Pandora has the best forum factor/design. These other computers only have a keyboard and I think that is a weak point. I feel that the nubs and touchscreen are pluses that these other computers do not have. I would not have bought ANY kind of laptop/netbook because I could get a much better computer for my money if I purchased a desktop. The portability and flexibility of the Pandora is a key sales point IMO. I want a computer in my pocket, and I want it to do EVERYTHING I can possibly make it do.

Holy crap is that thing really running world of warcraft? If that is so it might run Eve (my preferred mmo) I might have to do some looking that this beasty.

Holy crap is that thing really running world of warcraft? If that is so it might run Eve (my preferred mmo) I might have to do some looking that this beasty.

Well, it has a 7inch touchscreen, so it's as big as a regular netbook. And netbooks can play WoW as well, so what's the deal here?

This interessting Device is a bit bigger than the Pandora (look of the Picture whit the man playing, this is as big as an eepc

But the Displaykeyboard looks awesome, i would like to have such a technic in the Pandora 4... :p

Because im dont want to play WOW, im happy whit my Pandora (when its arives, i havnt it yet)

But the Displaykeyboard looks awesome, i would like to have such a technic in the Pandora 4... :p
Really? I don't. I don't really see the added value and it will just consume more energy. Do you ever look at your gamepad?

Ok, there is the Problem whit the Batterie Live, but when they find a way to make a battery whit a micro fusion power reaktor, that shouldnt be a problem..

I whritet it looks awesome, but i dont want to by the razer, because its too big, but the idea isnt bad..

Well, it has a 7inch touchscreen, so it's as big as a regular netbook. And netbooks can play WoW as well, so what's the deal here?

Netbooks might run wow, but most I have seen run the game like crap. With no graphic processor info, who knows on this machine. Too bad the developers of eve stopped making their game for linux. It is what forced me to use Windblows.

7" screen isn't so bad if you can keep the bezel really small (no speakers up there - or anything really).

Their keyboard over a 2nd LCD system is novel - but I wouldn't say it's all that great for game playing. WOW yes - but you have to bring a mouse to use with it which means playing on a table - which kind of defeats the purpose of a hand held device.

Now, something using the Pandora's dual analogue controllers on a 7" screen with no bezel - that would have some promise. I posted the idea here before. Basically:

Use the upcoming Pixel Qi 7" screen (they're supposed to be sampling out to manufacturers now).

Split the keypad and controllers to the left/right.

Fill the middle gap with a center channel speaker or a touchpad or even nothing.

Use the same motherboard as the Pandora (requires socket nubs based motherboard).

Run left/right speakers to the front on either side of the motherboard.

Put two battery packs in. One to the left and one to the right of the board. Run them in parallel. Slimmer device.

No software fragmentation, many major parts in common. Same device with a bit bigger form factor. Battery life would potentially -improve- with the Pixel Qi screen. It isn't impossible - but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near the top of the priority list right now.

A: Maybe a prototype exists, but they don't dare to show it.

B: That teaser they made is full of fail. They say "rich 3D graphics" and show you Quake Live (based on 1999 technology) and World of Goo (a 2D puzzle game). On top you have some cheesy rehearsed technological fluffy terms, like "incredible technology" and things like that.

C: The design of the Pandora is far better, as the Pandora DOES have gaming controls as well as a full size keyboard and a completely open software structure. And not some gimmicky keyboard, finger-magnet glossy shit, and hardware specifications that are not even being mentioned.

Hardcore PC gaming on the go is a dream that's still 5 years away from now. Or already in your hands with a decent gaming laptop of 1000+ hard earned coins.

It's all just one big commercial, and nothing concrete even exists. They design some half-assed thing, await the reactions of both consumers and investors, and then they continue to make it (if a profitable market exists). With these things it's best to not even invest your time into it, as you are probably just being used as a marketing tool (your word of mouth). The only thing you have seen are renders of a possible prototype. And that for a hardware king like Razer.

The Pandora started with ideas and renders too. But there wasn't a gigantic company with a huge face and technological mumbo-jumbo videos behind it. Sorry to say, but Razer is full of fail lately. They know the peripherals market is saturated as hell, so now they are just trying different things in the hope to earn some more money. My best guess is that we can see some other new (non-existing) products coming our way pretty soon as well.

*typed on a Razer keyboard*

*clicked on "Add reply" with a Razer mouse*

@Woorson

Did you read their hands-on preview? http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/razer-switchblade-preview-3g-intel-oak-trail-almost-definitel/

They had a prototype, so it's definitely not just renders. But it's probably akin to one of the white Pandoras in a rough CNC case (very early on), and they could only take photos, no video. So yeah, there probably aren't many, and they've got a long way to go.

I completely agree that it's got some flaws, and things I don't like (glossy, no analogue controls, other than the touch screen), big, hot (x86), etc., and that the marketing video, while neatly expressing the potential power and concept, was full of if-onlys and misleading suggestions. But it's definitely more than just renders, and it sounds pretty certain that there will really be one, though not for ~ a year. Admittedly, that estimate is probably more accurate than our early "two months".

Back