People having trouble signing up?

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
Obviously this a Pandora support forum and not a forum support forum, but oh well. I'm a newbie.

One of the regular commenters on Pandorapress says he's having trouble signing up.

Anyone else having trouble registering for the new boards? I tried a minute ago and I think it’s not accepting my captcha code: it says
“The registration code did not match the one displayed, a new code has been generated, please try again”

Just now I tried registering again, but this time it didn’t even show me the captcha. Same error when I hit ‘register’.

I guess it's hard to know how many people are having this issue if they can't post here. Might be worth looking at anyway. I'll share this thread link so he can see it's being looked at.

Obviously this a Pandora support forum and not a forum support forum, but oh well. I'm a newbie.

One of the regular commenters on Pandorapress says he's having trouble signing up.

I guess it's hard to know how many people are having this issue if they can't post here. Might be worth looking at anyway. I'll share this thread link so he can see it's being looked at.

it's the captcha's, i had trouble reading them 2 years ago on gp32x to register, i had to request several new ones to try

i got lucky to register here, it was an easy one

its impossible to see the difference between 1 => I, B => 8, ...

if you get a captcha like 1B3_O0L you need really really good glasses or the kind of luck that wins you millions on the lottery

it's the captcha's, i had trouble reading them 2 years ago on gp32x to register, i had to request several new ones to try
Thanks. Just got it working now. I think something may have changed in the back end - the type of captcha I got changed. Initially it was the black and white distorted type, where I had to copy a block of text into the box provided. Tried that a couple of times and couldn't get it to accept it.

Just now I tried it in another browser and got the coloured type of captcha, with no block of text to copy. I tried that but couldn't get it to work. But just now I went back to my main browser and tried it, and it too came up with the coloured captcha, and that worked.

So it's all working now. Hopefully someone's been at the back end and fixed it, so it won't happen to anyone else :)

I hate unreadable captchas. :angry: I know there's somebody behind them somewhere that does it just to laugh at us, even though they'll never get to see our faces. They're the type of person that takes a dump on the lid of a public toilet and walks away knowing that at some point they will have ruined someone's day.

I changed to a different kind of captchas to see if it would work now. It's now using GD and was using reCaptcha before.

Seems to have worked :)

In case it helps anyone:

I had trouble reading the colored captcha, but thought it was due to size so I right-clicked on it and middle-clicked "View Image" (in Firefox) to make the picture show up in another tab by itself. The plan was to do a CTRL-+ ("plus" key at the numeric keypad) to magnify the image a few times for clarity. However, the same captcha code showed up with a different background that was much easier to read, so I didn't even have to magnify it at all. I didn't think to test if the code would remain the same if I reloaded the page, but it might be something to try.

Captcha here is worse than usual because it's case sensitive, which is something I've never seen in a captcha before. Telling the difference in case for letters like c, o, s, v, w, x, and z can be almost impossible. I had to retry three times because of this.

Captcha here is worse than usual because it's case sensitive, which is something I've never seen in a captcha before. Telling the difference in case for letters like c, o, s, v, w, x, and z can be almost impossible. I had to retry three times because of this.
That's nothing compared to what reCaptcha has already thrown at me... Maybe it didn't like that I got such a high success rate :p

Sometimes it wanted strange words which contained characters like ï and ō, thanks to the brilliant 4-level keyboard layouts used in Linux I could actually type them in without looking at a character map, and it accepted those! :eek:

reCaptcha sucks, good that ED switched to another captcha service

captcha sucks in general.

I mean I understand why it's necessary to prove the person signing up is human, but I can think of much better ways then what captcha has become these days. Originally captcha wasn't that bad, but due to more sophisticated bot programming it has gotten silly.

I prefer the "question everyone but a robot could answer" method. Randomly select a question, big enough list that bots wouldn't work well. Such as:

"Most people have two parents, a mother and a _______"

or

"look at the URL above, type in the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth characters."

or maybe even

"are you human?"

If the need is to be able to randomly generate questions and answers, perhaps stuff like my second example above could be substituted, rather then the mostly annoying anti-bot services we are stuck with these days.

Anyway I'm just bored and ranting. Back to staring out the window for the UPS guy with my Pandora to appear.

- trix

For what it's worth: my eyesight isn't too great and I just had to enter more than fifteen captcha's before success (I only tried the ones I thought I could make out; I must have looked at 50 if not 100).

It seems to me that my dogged persistance proofs that I must be a bot. I should have failed the test.

Back