Perfect 50Hz-Scrolling For Amiga Games!

john4p

Didn't think this would be made possible so soon - but it's here: perfectly smooth scrolling for PAL games (50Hz, especially applies to about every Amiga game).

In the Betatest-forums ED made Hotfix 2 package available.

After installing this (no one who did this including me encountered any problems afaik) there's a script available that let's you set the display to 50Hz refresh rate.

To use it, open a terminal and type:

Code:
cd /usr/pandora/scripts
sudo chmod 777 op_lcdrate.sh
<enter your password>
sudo ./op_lcdrate.sh 50

Done. Now play Turrican in UAE4All with 100% smooth scrolling! Works a treat.
Note that your display is now permanently set to 50Hz refresh rate, until you later call:

Code:
sudo ./op_lcdrate.sh 60

to set the refresh rate back to 60Hz.

That's exactly what it's meant for :)
It should be called directly from the emulator, however, but it's a quick workaround until then :)

john4p said:
Didn't think this would be made possible so soon - but it's here: perfectly smooth scrolling for PAL games (50Hz, especially applies to about every Amiga game).

In the Betatest-forums ED made Hotfix 2 package available.

After installing this (no one who did this including me encountered any problems afaik) there's a script available that let's you set the display to 50Hz refresh rate.

To use it, open a terminal and type:

Code:
cd /usr/pandora/scripts
sudo chmod 777 op_lcdrate.sh
<enter your password>
sudo ./op_lcdrate.sh 50

Done. Now play Turrican in UAE4All with 100% smooth scrolling! Works a treat.
Note that your display is now permanently set to 50Hz refresh rate, until you later call:

Code:
sudo ./op_lcdrate.sh 60

to set the refresh rate back to 60Hz.
Great the better amiga emulation gets the happier i am.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's next to no reason to play PAL games on consoles like SNES. Very VERY few PAL-only games. I could see the reason for stuff like the Commodore or Sinclair computers, though.

As for it working for those, I see no reason why not, especially if they're vsynced.

paulguy said:
There's next to no reason to play PAL games on consoles like SNES. Very VERY few PAL-only games. I could see the reason for stuff like the Commodore or Sinclair computers, though.

As for it working for those, I see no reason why not, especially if they're vsynced.
Another reason is for emulators with performance problems If they only have to render 50/N frames then that might be enough to make it fullspeed. I suggest using PAL games on mupen64plus.

PS: Good work. I will find this very useful.

paulguy said:

Because PAL games can be found translated in french, spanish, german or italian.
Even if I can read english, sometimes it's easier to play games in my main language.

paulguy said:
A number of the SNES games I own are PAL versions. :p There's another reason to add to everyone else's. :lol:

paulguy said:

Heh. I knew the first person to respond would say 'NO POINT! YOU SUCK!'.

Well, OK, for N64 I guess it makes sense for most people, but SNES was already shown to run fullspeed even with the most demanding games, and the case will likely be similar for most other pre-PS1 games (excepting stuff like MAME and maybe sega cd/32x and some of the other early CD games that are likely just not worth it, don't have emulators that can be ported or don't have PAL releases.). I'd rather the game ran at normal speed and have less bugs (I heard of many PAL games that didn't convert well from NTSC.) even if it meant being a bit harder to read...

Don't want to make this a big war, but just making the point to people who may not know better that the NTSC versions (That originated as NTSC.) are superior as far as running at the normal speed and potentially avoiding bugs or crashes. I frequent the zsnes boards and have heard quite a few complaints about PAL games either not working right or that they run too slow because the person just grabbed whatever random ROM off some site unknowingly.

SomeGuy99 said:
Does it work will PAL games on other emulators? Snes for example?
Yes, should work for everything as it changes the setting globally. But no need to bother with this as soon as all the emulators automatically support the new script, like UAE4All now does:

EvilDragon said:
You might want to download this :D
Great! So no fiddling in the terminal before playing Amiga games needed. :)

Code:
UAE4All Changelog 2010-06-09:
* Added PAL / NTSC LCD Timings (if HotFix 2 is installed)
* Added Mini-Documentation
* Added Kickstart-Test

Prometheus said:
paulguy said:
A number of the SNES games I own are PAL versions. :p There's another reason to add to everyone else's. :lol:

They run and look soooo much better at 60hz though - people used to pay good money to have their PAL consoles modded to 60hz! It's a bonus if your PAL Roms run at 60hz!

Rockthesmurf said:
Small point, but chmod 777 is probably a bit excessive? 755, or just +x would probably be enough!
Knew this reply was coming sooner or later. ;)

You can also use chmod 700. Or maybe even chmod 100. Or 200? Or 400? Dunno which bit is "execute"...

@Rockthesmurf & SteveM: Thanks for mentioning "+x" - didn't know about that (haven't used Linux in years).

john4p said:
Rockthesmurf said:
Small point, but chmod 777 is probably a bit excessive? 755, or just +x would probably be enough!

You can also use chmod 700. Or maybe even chmod 100. Or 200? Or 400? Dunno which bit is "execute"...
This is why we have "+x" and friends. There are very few situations in which 777 is the right answer.

This ought to be set right in the firmware though, really.

SteveM said:
john4p said:
Rockthesmurf said:

This is why we have "+x" and friends. There are very few situations in which 777 is the right answer.

This ought to be set right in the firmware though, really.

Oh, damn! Missed the executable flag in the HotFix Update! Nobody found that out while betatesting... well, need to release a new version tonight.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Oh, damn! Missed the executable flag in the HotFix Update! Nobody found that out while betatesting... well, need to release a new version tonight.
Hotfix the hotfix? Yo dawg...

WizardStan said:
EvilDragon said:
Hotfix the hotfix? Yo dawg...

I lol'd xD

Back