Phoenix Games Just Made Me Angry...

Jourdy288

http://www.phoenixgamesgroup.com/uk/games/ps2/top1001.html

Top 100 (100 Games) - Available 16-04-10 -
Top 100 is a collection of 100 games in different genres - arcade, puzzle, racing and many others, the list is endless.

Play these games together with your friends or family, as numerous are available in 2-player mode.

Enjoy the most comprehensive games collection for PS2 !

100 Games: Pingus / Falling Bricks / Dobetrix / Bricks Builder / Ball Gunner / Chain Boom / Atomic Colours / Planet Bombers / Squash / Ice Melting / Hockey / Security / Ufo's Survival / Meteorain / Virus Killer / Super Rockets / Cannons / Fireball / Protectors / Tanks / Satellite Wars / Mice Hunt / Guardian / Apple Eater / Cobra Battle / Earth Worm / Hostile Flotile / Ambush / Box / Loot / Intensitor / Distancer / Mad Driver / Touchdown / Vampire / Volleyball / Aircraft Duel / Sniper / Jumping / Memory / Subspace / Collector / Inertia / Kick / Pairs / Centrifuged / Spray / Ball Eater / Equilibrium / Fall Down / Strike / Chameleon / Hunt / MiniGolf / Rally / Slice / Split / Labyrinth / Space Dragster / Mines / Froggy / River / Catch / Inversy / Tic-Tac-Toe / Four / Gravitex / Follower / Checkers / Corners / Dammen / Kamikaze / Race / Pool / Angler / Target / Colours / Numbers / Lights / Basketball / Marksman / Ferris Wheel / Navigator / Hunger / Focus / Separator / Jump Up / Fanatic / Flow / Meteors / Double / Bones / Star Light / Horse Jump / Sorting / Nonstop / Eagle Eye / Fool / Scissors / Safe Steps

Look at the first game on the list... Isn't Pingus GPL, and if so, don't they have to license this game collection accordingly?!

It may be a different game of similar name. Has anyone actually seen the game yet? I can't find any information on it.

WizardStan said:
It may be a different game of similar name. Has anyone actually seen the game yet? I can't find any information on it.
I think there's just one Pingus. I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like this, they release games like King of the Lions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two other things: GPL doesn't mean "can't sell", although if they're not providing any information on redistribution they're indeed in violation. I'm not really clear on the particulars, but I think that GPLv2 doesn't require that users are capable of rebuilding the source in whatever form they're distributing the binary as, so they can release the GPL information and source without really damaging their ability to sell the game (then again, since it's just one of 100 anyway...)

And, just because it's available for GPL doesn't mean that it can't be relicensed under a proprietary license. The copyright holders merely have to agree to it.

That said, I'd be shocked if they weren't stealing a bunch of games for this anyway.

Exophase said:
Two other things: GPL doesn't mean "can't sell", although if they're not providing any information on redistribution they're indeed in violation. I'm not really clear on the particulars, but I think that GPLv2 doesn't require that users are capable of rebuilding the source in whatever form they're distributing the binary as, so they can release the GPL information and source without really damaging their ability to sell the game (then again, since it's just one of 100 anyway...)

And, just because it's available for GPL doesn't mean that it can't be relicensed under a proprietary license. The copyright holders merely have to agree to it.

That said, I'd be shocked if they weren't stealing a bunch of games for this anyway.
I understand that; If I wanted to sell a GPL game collection I could, but I'd need to use the GPL license.
Knowing Phoenix I think they stole it.

Jourdy288 said:
WizardStan said:
I think there's just one Pingus. I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like this, they release games like King of the Lions...
Actually, they call it

Lion and the King 3

... I had a hard time believing my eyes.

Red Baron said:
Steeling games for profit is a big NO NOin my book
They haven't actually stolen anything. Nothing in the GPL prevents you from selling a GPL product, you just need to provide the source code if someone asks. So buy the game, ask for the source code, and see what they say.

Back