Phoneme Gp2x Sdl V. 1.0.0

Mr 2X

Website
lostsite.altervista.org
New phoneME version by zaxxon and now it uses SDL to support graphic, input and (MIDI) music (sorry no SFX).
It also includes Timidity to play music or phone tone, and sources patch.

IMPORTANT: "phoneME" and "midi" folder must be unzipped on the root of the SD.

The working is the same of the old version, then I suggest to read HERE and, above all, the ReadMe.

It's also included Dungeon Dweller as sample game (a roguelike game and freely downloadable here: http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/ ).

Download Link

Worms_2008_A_Space_Oddity_THQ_Wireless-9.jpg
Rayman_Kart_3.thumb.large.jpg

Worms 2008 and Rayman Kart

Morover, soon it'll be also updated pMESelector, btw it's already possible to use it with this version (but it doesn't manage J2ME_GP2X_REVERSE).

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard/existing timidity.cfg will work in bin/arm dir for those of us that want to conserve some space.

thanks for this one man

but i think Dungeon Dweller its not included

the game wont start and i cant find the "*2.jar" file nowhere

im gonna try to run another game

mr 2x, you have done a fantastic job with this, really

congrats!!

now we have a full whole set of new games to play on the gp2x :D

midi music makes the games a little laggy to keep up, but it is well implemented

some minor notes for the next update (you probably already think about all this)

-if you cannot make the application capable of being inside any folder the user wants, at least put all togheter on a single folder that has to be on the root. it gets really messy the way it is now

-a real mapper for the keys. i havent use the pmeselector yet, but i understand you cannot select the keys by yourself.

-volume for the midi music. volume is an issue for all gp2x apps, but this is too loud, really

thats it for now, keep up the good work!!

I'm NOT the author of this port :p (he's Zaxxon, I've only posted the news ;) ).

Dweller jar it's not included, but it can be downloaded from above link (and then install it).

About your request of improvements for phoneME, I don't know if Zaxxon will continue to develop it, btw source are included and any devs can improve it.

I managed to install previous version in games folder, not in root, and worked perfectly. I only had to change routes in the install and .gpe files, adding the games folder. For example:

cd /mnt/sd/phoneME/bin/arm changed to:
cd /mnt/sd/games/phoneME/bin/arm

Can't I do that in this new version?

Okay, forgive my ignorance for a second.

This is basically a mobile phone java game "emulator", yes? I assume it supports most standard Java games back to even things like the Series 40 phones etc.? Looking at the phone on which I currently have the games I would want to "emulate", it's capable of:

Profiles MIDP-2.0
Configuration CLDC-1.1
JTWI version 1.0
Screen resolution (Canvas) 128x96 Color screen Yes 4096 colors
Send / Receive SMS by Java (WMA JSR-120) Yes
Mobile Media API Version (MMA JSR-135) 1.1
A midlet can use Bluetooth (JSR-82) Yes
Supports 3D graphics (JSR-184) No
Geographical positioning with Java (Location API JSR-179) null

So if I have games that run on that particular phone, what are the chances of them running on this? I have a particularly nice Othello game that I'm fond of and a Pub Pool game that would be a good use of a spare five minutes. "No Sound" I really don't care about anyway, so that's a non-point for me.

It'll take me a while to hunt down the original .jar files for them again but when I find them, what are the chances of them working with this? They'll probably be the only games I play on it and it'd be a shame to waste lots of time only to find they don't work.

bman said:
Standard/existing timidity.cfg will work in bin/arm dir for those of us that want to conserve some space.
Ah yes, thanks for this tip. Works great.

Regards,
Stephan

duagor said:
I managed to install previous version in games folder, not in root, and worked perfectly. I only had to change routes in the install and .gpe files, adding the games folder.
My files are in /mnt/sd/game/interpreters/phoneme.
I created a script that creates a relative path gpe. Basically, just adjust your path from /mnt/sd/phoneme to bin/arm just as you did before.

ledow said:
This is basically a mobile phone java game "emulator", yes? I assume it supports most standard Java games back to even things like the Series 40 phones etc.? Looking at the phone on which I currently have the games I would want to "emulate", it's capable of:
Profiles MIDP-2.0
Configuration CLDC-1.1
JTWI version 1.0
After reading about the phoneme project you should be covered:
*Implements CLDC 1.1 (JSR 139) and MIDP 2.1 (JSR 118)

If Zaxxon reads this:

I've successfully run games like Rayman Kart or Dweller.
However, i'm stuck with the super-awesome like game "Vampires Dawn: Deceit of Heretics" which could be so far the very best mobile phone RPG ever, ever. (most reviews ranked it as high as around 90, 95 percent)
see www.dawnatic.de unter "Spiele" for it.

You can find it (english version) by using a torrent found on google...

It gets to the first screen where you can select Music - Yes or No. By choosing one the game freezes. The NDS port of PhoneME doesn't get much farther, but it does actually show the loading screen and loads stuff, which the GP2x Port so far hasn't.

It would be awesome to see this great game running on the GP2x. Maybe you can work on it? Thanks so far for the great work!

Is compatibility improved with this release? I'm desperate to play Darkest Fear 1 or 2 on this, but couldn't get it to work in the last release.

Mr 2X said:
I'm NOT the author of this port :p (he's Zaxxon, I've only posted the news ;) ).
ups

sorry

well, hope zaxxon see all this (specially the thanks and congrats)

ive succesfully run two or three games

the only problem i have is that most of the games ive tried (luxor, lumines) doesnt automatically save the state :(

so you cant return and play the level in wich you left

but some games does save the state, so i dont know whats happening

does someone have a clue about this?

@jjplano: New release available at phoneME-GP2X-SDL-1.0.1.zip increased storage space from 1M to 512M. Try the games.

@Wolfsclaw: Now "Vampires Dawn: Deceit of Heretics" start-up ok: Required ~1.3M of storage space, in the old version only 1M available.

:D

@-zaxxon

Thanks for the info. Great work!

Regards,
Stephan

Woohoo that was fast :)

I'll try it out asap, thanks!!

edit: Same freezing as always :( Have you already successfully run the game? I've tried with and without phoneME selector, both won't work :(

Wolfsclaw said:
Same freezing as always :( Have you already successfully run the game? I've tried with and without phoneME selector, both won't work :(
Yes. Configure joystick to UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT (no numeric key) and action button to SELECT.
My version is 240x320. This is the MANIFEST:
CODE

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.6.5
Created-By: 1.6.0_01-b06 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
MIDlet-1: VampiresDawn,/s.png,VD
MIDlet-Vendor: DawnaticGames
MIDlet-Name: VampiresDawn
MIDlet-Icon: /s.png
MIDlet-Version: 1.19
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.1
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-2.0

I had already the buttons configured, and i could and can switch around Yes and No. By pressing the select button (which should make the game switch over to loading) nothing happens - freeze.
I tried out three versions, one for the nokia n95 (240x320) and one for sony ericsson K700 and one for K800 which have lower resolutions.
I get the same problem for all versions.

Sorry for not knowing, but what exactly can i do with the "manifest" and how did you get to it?

Wolfsclaw said:
I had already the buttons configured, and i could and can switch around Yes and No. By pressing the select button (which should make the game switch over to loading) nothing happens - freeze.
I tried out three versions, one for the nokia n95 (240x320) and one for sony ericsson K700 and one for K800 which have lower resolutions.
I get the same problem for all versions.

Sorry for not knowing, but what exactly can i do with the "manifest" and how did you get to it?
I tried out version 1.19.2 240x320 for K800 and working. You have a PM.

MANIFEST.MF is a file into the .jar archive.

Back