Picodrive 1.32

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
This release went through extensive testing and most of the problems reported here should be fixed.

There is not much new stuff:
  • New software pixel-averaging scaler for games using "32 column" display mode (256x224), plus additional vertical scaling option.
  • New ability to swap ISO images while the game is running (needed for Night Trap, for example).
  • Added RAM cart emulation.
... but loads of bugfixes:
  • Fixed DMA timing emulation (caused lock-ups for some genesis games).
  • Idle loop detection was picking up wrong code and causing glitches, fixed.
  • The ym2612 code on 940 now can handle multiple updates per frame (fixes Thunger Force III "seiren" level drums for example).
  • Memory handlers were ignoring some writes to PSG chip, fixed (missing sounds in Popful Mail, Silpheed).
  • Improved z80 timing, should fix some sound problems.
  • Fixed a bug with sram register (fixes Phantasy Star 4).
  • ROM loader was incorrectly identifying some ROMs as invalid. Fixed.
  • Added code for PRG ram write protection register (Dungeon Explorer).
  • The memory mode register change in 1.31 was unsafe and caused some glitches in AH-3 Thunderstrike. Fixed.
  • Fixed a file descriptor leak.
  • Updated documentation, added Gmenu2x manual.
The current release does much more that I ever thought it would do and I am very happy with it. Hope there are no more stupid obvious bugs left (which I could not stand without fixing) and I finally can mark this release as final.

download 1.32

Last edited by a moderator:
Great! PS4 SRAM saves now working perfect! :)

Uh, this new scaling option, how I use it correctly? Wiki says that Megadrive has 320 x 224 (NTSC), 320 x 240 (PAL) res, so if I have a NTSC Game, the 320 x 224 res is the correct one? Because the Games don't look that bad stretched but I want to use the 100% correct resolution, the Game was designed for. :)

Is it still recommended to use .964 for Genesis emulation, or should it now be fine to exclusively use this version?

naples39 said:
Is it still recommended to use .964 for Genesis emulation, or should it now be fine to exclusively use this version?
I've been using this version for both since 1.31 (see sig ;))

fusion_power said:
Great! PS4 SRAM saves now working perfect! :)

Uh, this new scaling option, how I use it correctly? Wiki says that Megadrive has 320 x 224 (NTSC), 320 x 240 (PAL) res, so if I have a NTSC Game, the 320 x 224 res is the correct one? Because the Games don't look that bad stretched but I want to use the 100% correct resolution, the Game was designed for. :)
Most games are "40 column" mode. ie 40x8 pixels = 320 pixels. Some games are 32x8 pixels = 256 pixels.

I think Snatcher is one such example.

Both the 40 and 32 column modes are supposed to be the same display width so it just means that the pixels are wider (different aspect ratio).

Therefore the screen scaling just rescales the screen to fit the width of the GP2X screen.

The pixel-average alogorihm is just a way of making this look a bit smoother. I'd imagine in the same way the CPS emu uses it's software renderer (if you've seen/used that).

Brilliant! What a great thing to be able to play Lunar 2 again! Wow! Has anyone had luck with Lunar 1? It keeps locking up right after the title screen for me. Probably the rip I made. I'll try again. Thanks so much, Notaz.

Pariah B)

Excellent! And I've just finished Shining Force using 0.9something, so I might now safely reinstall new version. *download*

Lithuania? I didn't notice that before. I've been there, once - Visited friends in Kaunas and Vilnius, and also went to Nida. I've sat on the beach in Nida at night, listening to a friend of mine playing the Kankles (spelling?) and singing, whilst the soviet helicopters from out of Kaliningrad flew overhead, watching us...

Great work again Notaz. Great emu and now even better with bug fixes.

I am suprised pixel averaged horizontal scale doesn't slow down much.

Great work, Thanks.

Oh God........ This software scaling is oustanding!!! :D :D :D

EDIT: Though it is outrageously wonderful, I thought you might like to know that the voice in the intro of Lunar 2 are no longer in correct sync (and used to be). Specifically, it's very severe on the part where Hiro falls and gets chased by fire monsters.

shinneri said:
Oh God........ This software scaling is oustanding!!! :D :D :D

EDIT: Though it is outrageously wonderful, I thought you might like to know that the voice in the intro of Lunar 2 are no longer in correct sync (and used to be). Specifically, it's very severe on the part where Hiro falls and gets chased by fire monsters.
I had the same problem, but i solved it by changing the country from (E) to (U) an after that it worked normally
EDIT: I changed the game country using convscd

pariah said:
Brilliant! What a great thing to be able to play Lunar 2 again! Wow! Has anyone had luck with Lunar 1? It keeps locking up right after the title screen for me. Probably the rip I made. I'll try again. Thanks so much, Notaz.

Pariah B)
lunar 1 and 2 seems to work fine for me, by the way THANKS NOTAZ that lock up in spiderman vs kingpin is no more

EDIT: Well lunar 1 actually has a background glitch at the very beginning but that is not so important as it really don't disturbs the gameplay, also, I just had a lock up in the lunar 2 intro after the "o no lunar" dialogue.

naples39 said:
I think you should be safe with this, savestates should be compatible and it shouldn't be slower.

Moxie said:
Lithuania? I didn't notice that before. I've been there, once - Visited friends in Kaunas and Vilnius, and also went to Nida. I've sat on the beach in Nida at night, listening to a friend of mine playing the Kankles (spelling?) and singing, whilst the soviet helicopters from out of Kaliningrad flew overhead, watching us...
Interesting. Thant must have been long ago.

DaveC said:
I am suprised pixel averaged horizontal scale doesn't slow down much.
Well it is in hand-written asm, done while drawing pixels, so it shouldn't be too slow.

shinneri said:
It worked correctly in 1.31 or earlier? Might be because the change in timing, might need "better sync" now..

Thank you SO MUCH!!! :D

It is incredible! Now every one of my expensive pixels are in use! I love scaling so much. Especialy when it looks great :)
I`ve spent many hours played Pokemon Gold (GBC) stretched at fullscreen on mine 15-inches monitor - well THOSE were the pixels.

Outstanding. Notaz, has anybody told you, that you`re genius already? Thank you for making dreams come true.

notaz said:
Moxie said:
Interesting. Thant must have been long ago.

I was going to say "What? No, not at all, it was..." and then I realised that it was in 1992, which by now is 15 years ago :eek:

Me's getting old.

this is probably the best emu that the gp2x has, so thanks for your work. I really enjoy playing these relics and appreciate a stable platform to do it on. :)

Back