Release PicoDrive revival (1.9x)

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Edit2: updated to 1.91 (minor fixes), get it from repo.

Edit: updated to 1.90, see http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/14172-picodrive-revival-185/?p=276843

So after around 4 years of hiatus finally I have a build of PicoDrive that I consider worthy to release.

The main focus of this release was to fix 32X emulation, so it now should be able to boot most (all?) of the games. I've also fixed some issues that were reported the most, like compatibility with Jap MegaCD games and missing pause button for SMS. The UI was also updated with improvements from PCSX ReARMed.

I haven't really done much for 32X performance, was mostly focusing on emulating missing stuff and compatibility. Depending on game 600MHz may be enough, but sometimes you need upto 1GHz to be fullspeed on a pandora. I don't have much motivation to optimize it too much as 1GHz unit can handle them as-is and the games aren't that good, but if somebody likes some game that's not fast enough on CC/rebirth I can take a look, there's quite some room for improvement.

For those who don't have a pandora, PicoDrive is now also available on Android and iOS through RetroArch too (although not this exact version, but they usually update fast).

For all those who were asking for source over the years, I have finally opened it again and it's available on github:

https://github.com/notaz/picodrive

And of course the .pnd is at the usual place on the repo:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.picodrive.notaz

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Many THX for this Release ^_^

Now must i buy Mega CD Games for this :lol:

I tried in the Past a Mega CD Game that did not work,but was shortly tested.

Nice that you fixed much of this ;)

Thanks for this release !

PicoDrive is one of my, if not my all-time favorite emu.

Bug report:

Herzog Zwei's main sprite still disappears when the game starts :/ .

Hey, notaz back in action :)

Thanks for this great release.

So now I can play Blackthrone 32X!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? :eek:   :eek:   :eek:

added.. I can report that finally,after waiting quite a long spell BlackThrone 32X works well on the OpenPandora....no freezing at all as before. This was one of the problematic games.

I was playing the SNES version.

Last edited:
Picodrive 1.80 worked flawlessly for me but this version won't load anything.  I've got the BIOS files in the \media\<sdcard>\pandora\appdata\picodrive folder and the roms stored in the correct folder, but when I try to load anything it says Loading (with the ROM name below) but it never goes any further.

Should I be deleting the old .cfg file?

I can't bring up the menu after I attempt to load a ROM, I have to perform a soft reboot using the Pandora button.

Awesome, thanks a lot :) Has SMS been improved as well or didn't you do anything in that regard?

Picodrive 1.80 worked flawlessly for me but this version won't load anything.  I've got the BIOS files in the \media\<sdcard>\pandora\appdata\picodrive folder and the roms stored in the correct folder, but when I try to load anything it says Loading (with the ROM name below) but it never goes any further.
Anything or just Sega CD? Only Sega CD needs the BIOS.

What firmware are you on?

Awesome, thanks a lot :) Has SMS been improved as well or didn't you do anything in that regard?
Not really, what's broken there besides gamegear support?

Notaz, you are awesome. I always know somewhere in that cool facade of yours lies a kindly heart of gold.

Nothing loads, not even Sega Genesis.  I get the prompt Loading <ROM Name> and it freezes there.  Have to reboot.

Anything or just Sega CD? Only Sega CD needs the BIOS.

What firmware are you on?

Nice to see some older emus getting new love!

No idea :)

Just remembered that you said it needs more work as it's borked at one time, haven't really had the time to play a lot lately :)

Broken quote tags fixed - Binky

There was some serious / not so serious GFX issues in some games (Robocop Vs Terminator for example)

I'll have to check these now :)

Just checked Fantasy Zone, Enemy pods still have white backgrounds (when outside of the white area)

Robocop Vs Terminator looks nasty still :(

Nothing loads, not even Sega Genesis.  I get the prompt Loading <ROM Name> and it freezes there.  Have to reboot.
Can you try with nothing in appdata?

You haven't reported what firmware are you on, PD now runs some scripts to change CPU clock, gamma and filters, maybe those are hanging if your firmware is old or if you have something custom there.

Damn excellent release. Sonic still gives me a headache but that's the Pandy screen... what are some good games for this sucker?

Back