Pictochat On The Pandora

pyropandora

Still Fresh
If anyone has owned a DS they already know about the pictochat application. Pictochat enables a number of linked DS's are able to send messages and draw messages with the stylus and post them, kind of like a forum.

Anyway i just thought that would be cool, having an online, linked Pandora application for serveral Pandora's to chat, via. Bluetooth or WiFi :pandora1: :p

P.S. I'm thinking of making it like Pictocat but better :p

Thanks for reading :D

pyropandora said:
Sorry if this has already been posted.

If anyone has owned a DS they already know about the pictochat application. Pictochat enables a number of linked DS's are able to send messages and draw messages with the stylus and post them, kind of like a forum.
Anyway i just thought that would be cool, doing it on the Pandora via. Bluetooth or WiFi :pandora1: :p

Thanks for reading :D
Hmmm.... inkscape has support for jabber and the jabber-client coccinella has a whiteboard, so it should be very much possible

Last edited by a moderator:
i do not think it would work because there will not be that many pandora in the world. irc may work or "IM".
also you could not have pictochat but you could have somthink much like it if a dev makes it so

Pidgin has a scribble function that works over almost any protocol.

offbow said:
i do not think it would work because there will not be that many pandora in the world. irc may work or "IM".
also you could not have pictochat but you could have somthink much like it if a dev makes it so
I don't agree at all. All 3 of my brothers and sisters or getting a pandora and I think this is a great idea, It's almost like a multiplier game in and of itself, we use pictochat all the time when we're bored.

Is is true that inkscape could come to the pandora? That would be killer!

PictoChat can be incredibly funny with the right crowd of people, in my experience.

I'd absolutely love a Pandora equivalent for that reason alone. :p

How does the DS "connect" local devices? Do you have to "join" a group or something? It's WIFI, right? Or bluetooth?

KungPhoo said:
How does the DS "connect" local devices? Do you have to "join" a group or something? It's WIFI, right? Or bluetooth?
It's Nintendos proprietary 2.4Ghz network standard. (Unless there's a firmware update recently, but would make newer DS's incompatible with older ones). You can detect DS's, but only through a monitor (promiscuous) mode of a Wifi network adaptor.

aw. Clever and bad.
So would something like this be possible for pandora or gp2x with a wifi stick? I guess not. What's the usual procedure?

CODE

enumerate all computers in your LAN (192.168.168.xxx e.g.)
send a request at a specified port 1234 ("PicoChat Anyone")

forever
{
if( there's a message "PicoChat, aye" at port 1234)
{
store this IP in "send to" list
}
if( someone sends you a "PicoChat Anyone" message)
{
reply with "PicoChat, aye"
store that IP in "send to" list
}
send paint messages to PCs in the "send to" list
}

Did I miss something?

This is why I'm asking:

It's way beyond my level, but it may be theoretically possible to communicate with a DS.

This guy wrote a modified network card driver and windows app to wirelessly send demos to a DS.
Here's a page with some nifi protocol information.

It sounds like an awful lot of work for a pretty basic application...

Having said that, it would be awesome at group events like conventions. I've been to a few where dozens of people are goofing around in Pictochat, sending messages up to the stage, etc. I felt a bit left out with my PSP. :(

Nah, not the DC Chat. Somethine own. But I want it to be as simple as PictoChat. Just Run, and draw. Do not care about login ans stuff.

Oh no, sorry it seems like some of you are getting confused I was just talking about it being on the Pandora not Pandora to DS

Doesn't the top screen show messages already sent in the DS version? Where would that be on Pandora? I know you could split the screen in half for usage, but that's hardly efficient.

Yeah I suppose you could just use/port another program to do the job

Yrx said:
Doesn't the top screen show messages already sent in the DS version? Where would that be on Pandora? I know you could split the screen in half for usage, but that's hardly efficient.
Maybe have a button to switch between the two

KungPhoo said:
So would something like this be possible for pandora or gp2x with a wifi stick? I guess not. What's the usual procedure?
I'd say the easiest way is that when you load PandaChat, it sends out a UDP Broadcast once a second saying its part of session X (which could be a number or a name) and anyone who receives that broadcast can join in just be clicking on the session id. Or you could forget about sessions and just have a free for all :)

Just as long as the free-for-all had the all-important "copy last message" button (well, as long as you were there to receive a previous message), for impromptu graffiti'ing over things. :p

Yeah I guess it would be cool, but it would need to be in Wireless B mode :S (which is why the PSP and DS can't communicate because of the speed difference in homebrew.)
But maybe on the larger scale there could be like an IRC that is like picto-chat :)
(on internet)

It seems like every DS acts as an access point, and has a maximum speed (selectable) of 1/2MBPS, and of course uses Nintendo's hacked up version of 802.11 standard. It would therefore be very doubtful for the Pandora to be able to talk to a DS unless it supported raw layer 2 frames and promiscuous mode, which I doubt it does.

I'd say, the easiest way for direct communication would be using Bonjour. Connect to a wifi, start pidgin, see who's in the same lan and chat/draw/play.
Would it be like Pictochat? No. Would it allow to connect to DS-players? Who cares? Would it be reliable and easy? Probably.

We could even use a modified version of the Bonjour-plugin to identify ourself as Pandora-users in big networks.

Back