Pimp My Pandora

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Website
Visit site
I was thinking of ways to easily make the Pandora prettier, and I realized that one of the things that makes it too boxy/ugly for many people is it's, well, blandness. It's a solid color with nothing to break the uniformity. I decided to play around a bit with it, and see how it looked with a small decal on the lid. Here's what I came up with.

smokerenderhighqualityzv2.png

I know that the colors are somewhat off, and I'm working on fixing that (3dsmax annoys me sometimes). I think that the added picture definitely makes the Pandora prettier. Agree? Disagree?

P.S.: If anyone has any requests for other decals that could be put on the top (or other places, I suppose), say so.

How did you get the Pandora 3D model in the first place? :blink:

DaveC said:
How did you get the Pandora 3D model in the first place? :blink:
How else would you obtain something? I asked. I can't distribute it though.

And yes, Squidge, there is indirect lighting from the LCD, as it emits light (bluish light, as the default picture on the LCD is the blue pandora logo). There aren't any photometric/point/area lights in the scene, so it is basically rendered using ambient lighting (with some detail from the LCD light source).

Last edited by a moderator:
The decal looks cool, but if the Pandora logo will be on the case it should be much smaller, and preferably of a colour very close to the rest of the case so as not to stand out too much.

Could you make some renders of different colours? I'd like to see a combination of black and dark gray, and maybe black and wine red :)

Alex. said:
The decal looks cool, but if the Pandora logo will be on the case it should be much smaller, and preferably of a colour very close to the rest of the case so as not to stand out too much.

Could you make some renders of different colours? I'd like to see a combination of black and dark gray, and maybe black and wine red :)
Where would you want the highlight color to be (the dark grey/red)? A different color for the decal or another color on the device itself?

Vorporeal said:
Alex. said:

Where would you want the highlight color to be (the dark grey/red)? A different color for the decal or another color on the device itself?

Another colour on the device itself. Maybe the highlight could be the buttons/keyboard, or part of the case altogether.

I say leave the device blank and bundle with the unit a bunch of extremely high quality decals to put on the unit. like high quality decals of logos associated with this device like tux or pandora mascot/logo etc.

aphexpusher said:
I say leave the device blank and bundle with the unit a bunch of extremely high quality decals to put on the unit. like high quality decals of logos associated with this device like tux or pandora mascot/logo etc.
The problem with stickers is that you have to be careful that they don't accidentally peel off or something similar. Also, it makes the device look much less professional than an image put on the device during production.

yaustar said:
Actually, I agree, it does give it a more distinctive look. If we had an official Pandora logo, it could quite nicely go on top.

Considering it is Linux based, how about a Tux logo?

http://www.kinggary.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/tux.png
http://testsamples.free.fr/CrXP/Tux-termine.jpg

That'd make the thing look like some sort of child's toy :lol: (well, to non Linuxy people anyways)

If there's going to be a logo on this thing I'd rather it be something immediately relevant, like the pandora logo (providing it's simple and looks good).
Just as long as it's not a sticker... a sticker would just look cheap and eventually peel off :/

Alright, here's a version with a fixed general color for the console (the color in my first render was darker than in the black renders on openpandora.ca), as well as red keys (per Alex's suggestion).

fixedblackandredkeysoo4.png

Vorporeal said:
Alright, here's a version with a fixed general color for the console (the color in my first render was darker than in the black renders on openpandora.ca), as well as red keys (per Alex's suggestion).

fixedblackandredkeysoo4.png

Wow. I love how that looks. Without the decal, and maybe a small logo of "pandora" there instead, in the same red, then I think we are in business.

Eh. I wouldn't like any kind of decal. Maybe if it were etched/embossed into the plastic itself.

I agree with you guys... sticker would be awful probably. tho throwing stickers in the packaging is a great gift idea to throw in for all us loyal fans =)

yaustar said:
Considering it is Linux based, how about a Tux logo?
Why would you want to make the sleek and stealthy Pandora look geeky and daggy?

If the lid is to be completely flat (best for pocketability, but may look a bit bland) I do like the idea of an engraved/embedded "tattoo", similar to the technique being used by HP and VoodooPC. Those look great and are embedded in the plastic so they won't wear off easily. Either the logotype (from the upcoming contest, not the bland-looking placeholder one) or a pattern/tattoo of some kind would look nice. The logotype might be better suited as a badge rather than a tattoo, though (the way most laptop manufacturers are doing it). Just remember to get the orientation right. :p

Ok, I've got an idea, though I'm not skilled enough at computer art to make it. So let me describe it to those of you who are :).

A box, in the style of a square shoebox, with the lid lifted open slightly and some smoke billowing out. Through the smoke, a set of demonic eyes is visible.

On the side of the box is written p&|a (credit to yuglooc, I think - I posted that it was an awesome abreviation earlier).

Of course, if you open the box, you'll find Tux. But that's not part of the lable, and, anyway, do you dare?

Considering the number of buttons I'd suggest the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy design :lol:
DontPanic.jpg

Back