Release Pingus Release

Mr Rob

Hello all:

There's been a couple of new versions of Pingus developed in the past month, and I don't think anyone was working on them.....so I give you Pingus 0.7.5.0!

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=pingus-mrrob

A couple of improvements, the main ones being new worlds included by default (Egypt, some factory, and a new Halloween world).

So give it a go and let me know if you have any problems.

Thank you for all the ports youve done over the last week or so Mr Rob, looks like someones been keeping themselfs busy. Gonna give it a download and test now,

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Sup just a quick report back, probably something my end but the game exits once ive clicked on story mode in the main menu. Anyone else tryed this one out yet?

I can however play the game if i select individual levels through the level selector (but story mode deffo dont work for me). I have not found any bugs as of yet in the actual game play however i have not had a comprehensive play yet just a quick 10 min game.

Sup just a quick report back, probably something my end but the game exits once ive clicked on story mode in the main menu. Anyone else tryed this one out yet?
Really? Odd. The story mode sequence worked just fine for me, and I'm halfway though Tutorial island before I stopped last night (too many dead penguins. Nightmares.) The next time it crashes, can you grab the output of pndout in the /tmp directory?

hey sorry to have wasted your time i just deleted and reinstalled the pnd and it all works swimmingly now. I sould have tried that before the stupid post. i must have had a incomplete download for something lie that.

hey sorry to have wasted your time i just deleted and reinstalled the pnd and it all works swimmingly now. I sould have tried that before the stupid post. i must have had a incomplete download for something lie that.

Ha, no worries. I'm not quite sure what would have caused that.

Sorry to report but for me this game crashed after each level played. I played level 1 crash then 2 crash.

Sometimes I could not even get the game to boot up. At times when either touching with the stylus or using the right nub as the mouse the game would crash.

I did not alter any of the settings.

Re-downloaded 3 times on 2 different cards but no change.

I have excellent cards with much space.

Beautiful game with nice music. I loved the storm clouds passing in level 1.

However I deleted it. A pity.

Sorry. :mellow:

Last edited:
Hmm, strange. Is anyone having it work flawlessly for them? I got through about half the levels in the tutorial before I quit, with no problems whatsoever. Maybe I've made a change to my HF6 that I'm forgetting.... I'll have to debug and figure out what's wrong.

@scoobydoo: Do you have the pndout in /tmp? Could help in debugging.

yes i had pndrunpingus-mrob_run out in the tmp folder.

sorry.

Is a beauty game and i hope i may play it through.

sorry.

Ha, sorry, I was a bit vague. Scoobydoo, could you copy the output of pndrunpingus-mrrob_run and paste it into this forum? Seeing what that shows may help me in debugging.

It appears to crash at the end of each level for me too i am afraid

=======================================================================================

PND : /media/PANDORA_8GB/pandora/menu/pingus.0.7.5.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/PANDORA_8GB/pandora/appdata/pingus-mrrob

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : pingus.exec

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

=======================================================================================

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop1" "/mnt/utmp/pingus-mrrob"

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/pnd/pingus-mrrob': Not a directory

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/PANDORA_8GB/pandora/appdata/pingus-mrrob=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/pingus-mrrob=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/pingus-mrrob"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (pingus.exec ) ----------

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 519: 1878 Done echo "$EXENAME"

1879 Segmentation fault | grep -q ^\.\/

Welcome to Pingus 0.7.5!

========================

userdir: .//.pingus/

datadir: usr/share/pingus

language: English (en)

sound support: enabled

music support: enabled

fullscreen: 800x480

open /dev/sequencer or /dev/snd/seq: No such file or directory

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

what(): .//.pingus/savegames/variables.scmekjArl: Operation not permitted

./pingus.exec: line 8: 1881 Aborted ./ld-linux.so.3 "bin/pingus.bin" --datadir "usr/share/pingus" --fullscreen --fullscreen-resolution=800x480 --no-auto-scrolling

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (pingus.exec ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 562: 1886 Segmentation fault ofbset -fb /dev/fb1 -mem 0 -size 0 0 -en 0

[ FAILED]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 486: [: -ne: unary operator expected

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 269: 1888 Broken pipe mount

1889 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $UNION_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type aufs"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 269: 1890 Done mount

1891 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $UNION_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type aufs"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 484: 1892 Segmentation fault rmdir "$UNION_MOUNT_DIR/$PND_NAME"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 273: 1893 Done mount

1894 Segmentation fault | grep -v aufs

1895 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $PND_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 273: 1896 Done mount

1897 Segmentation fault | grep -v aufs

1898 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $UNION_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 273: 1899 Done mount

1900 Segmentation fault | grep -v aufs

1901 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $PND_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 273: 1902 Done mount

1903 Segmentation fault | grep -v aufs

1904 Segmentation fault | grep -q "on $UNION_MOUNT_DIR/${PND_NAME} type"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 460: 1905 Segmentation fault rmdir "$MOUNT_TARGET/$PND_NAME"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 460: 1906 Segmentation fault rm "$PND_MOUNT_DIR/$PND_NAME"

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1907 Segmentation fault rmdir -rf "${APPDATADIR}/.wh..wh.plnk" 2> /dev/null

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1908 Segmentation fault rmdir -rf "${APPDATADIR}/.wh..wh..tmp" 2> /dev/null

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1909 Segmentation fault rmdir "${APPDATADIR}/.wh..wh.orph" 2> /dev/null

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1910 Segmentation fault rm "${APPDATADIR}/.aufs.xino" 2> /dev/null

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1911 Segmentation fault rmdir -p "${APPDATADIR}" 2> /dev/null

/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 434: 1919 Segmentation fault /sbin/losetup -d $LOOP

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 139

Thanks Phelsumania.

Now I know there's a problem with how I'm doing the extra libraries. [backstory: Compiling Pingus in HF6 doesn't work due to too old of a GCC, and the available cross-compilers either have too old of a GCC or aren't quite perfect for Pingus, that's another thread somewhere else. So I'm actually booting into Debian on my Pandora, and using their arm packages to build Pingus, and then I need to link them back over into the PND, so that's why we're running into some issues here. I know it's not perfect, but we'll live. Once the GCC issues are fixed, I'll rebuild it with that; probably result in a smaller PND.].

One thing I do know is that my use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH is wrong, and I believe is causing Pingus's (and Frozen Bubble, as it's a similar setup) umount after executing to fail, I'll fix that tonight and upload a PND for testing. I may also make Pingus 'beta' in the repo, just so people aren't expecting a perfect game yet.

But the thing that makes me scratch my head is why Pingus works flawless for me. I'mma investigate further.

sorry.

Ha, sorry, I was a bit vague. Scoobydoo, could you copy the output of pndrunpingus-mrrob_run and paste it into this forum? Seeing what that shows may help me in debugging.
Sorry I could not reply . i had an emergency right after your last request.

Hope it works out though.

Glad Phelsumania covered.

Sorry again.

Cheers!!

Are you mixing debian and pandoralibs?

Do you have the pandoralibdir in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, too?

Are you mixing debian and pandoralibs?

Do you have the pandoralibdir in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, too?

pandoralibdir? Explain. Is there a set of libraries specifically for Pandora things, or do you just mean /usr/lib?

I believe I am not mixing any Debian and Pandora libraries at all. On the debian side of things, I ldd the life out of the binaries and associated libraries, and copy them to some work directory so every part that Pingus uses in Debian is pieced away from the rest.

This obviously results in a bigger PND, since some libraries that exist in Debian may very well be identical in Pandora land, but oh well. I am fully aware that this isn't best practice, but perhaps the best solution for the current setup.

Here is what my PND execution script does; the LD_LIBRARY_PATH holds all the Debian binaries (broken up into directories like in Debian's filesystem for organizational ease).

Code:
HOME="./"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/lib:usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi:lib

./ld-linux.so.3  "bin/pingus.bin" --datadir "usr/share/pingus" --fullscreen --fullscreen-resolution=800x480 --no-auto-scrolling

The two things I want to try are instead of exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, simply having it on the same line as the executable (I think this may be causing the unmounting of the PND problems, since everything on the Pandora side of pnd_run is segfaulting as it may be using my libraries? Though I don't think that's how it's supposed to to work, as the export should only be for my process only, and shouldn't be related to anything in the parent process of pnd_run.). I also know that ld-linux.so.3 can accept command line parameters; it's possible that it's pulling some libraries out of /lib instead of my lib, causing problems.

So I'll try the two above, unless you have some advice.

Waaah, I've made some progress.

Pingus 0.7.5.1 is now up in the Repo.

Apparently, pnd_run.sh will export some paths for you automatically; mainly PNDDIR/lib in this case if it exists. Since mine did, and contained lots of Debian specific stuff, pnd_run.sh would weep as it started using my libs for some things. I've renamed lib to mylib in my PND so there's not a conflict anymore.

This should fix some things, give it a go and let me know how it works. Thanks guys, testing really does help.

Apparently, pnd_run.sh will export some paths for you automatically; mainly PNDDIR/lib in this case if it exists. Since mine did, and contained lots of Debian specific stuff, pnd_run.sh would weep as it started using my libs for some things. I've renamed lib to mylib in my PND so there's not a conflict anymore.
Arg, sorry. I did not tough about that case when adding that "feature" sorry for the troubles. I'm happy you found a work around ;)

Arg, sorry. I did not tough about that case when adding that "feature" sorry for the troubles. I'm happy you found a work around ;)
Ha, no worries. It's probably more my fault for not reading the documentation closely. And most PND's don't have nearly as complicated as a library setup as I do, so it's still a nice feature to have in pnd_run.sh.

hi there,

much like scoobydoo, the game crashes back to thedesktop after any single level, on trying to start story mode and whenexiting the options screen. the level editor didnt crash though.

pndrun output copied below, tken after game crashed following completion of level 1.

my pandora has been flashed with hotfix 6 release.

hope this helps to solve the crashes as it looks a really fun game.

nb sd card is in slot 2, in case that helps

PND : /media/YOSHIPACK_6/pandora/apps/pingus.0.7.5.pnd

PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs

APPDATADIR : /media/YOSHIPACK_6/pandora/appdata/pingus-mrrob

APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>

EXENAME : pingus.exec

ARGUMENTS : <unset>

[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------

Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/utmp/pingus-mrrob"

Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/YOSHIPACK_6/pandora/appdata/pingus-mrrob=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/pingus-mrrob=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/pingus-mrrob"

[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Starting the application (pingus.exec ) ----------

Welcome to Pingus 0.7.5!

========================

userdir: .//.pingus/

datadir: usr/share/pingus

language: English (en)

sound support: enabled

music support: enabled

fullscreen: 800x480

open /dev/sequencer or /dev/snd/seq: No such file or directory

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

what(): .//.pingus/savegames/variables.scmcG17f8: Operation not permitted

./pingus.exec: line 9: 1225 Aborted LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/lib:usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi:mylib ./ld-linux.so.3 "bin/pingus.bin" --datadir "usr/share/pingus" --fullscreen --fullscreen-resolution=800x480 --no-auto-scrolling

[ FAILED]--- Starting the application (pingus.exec ) ----------

[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------

[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------

[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------

rmdir: failed to remove `/mnt/utmp/pingus-mrrob': Device or resource busy

[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------

cleanup done

[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------

Return code is : 4

Back