Planning On Buying Gp2x F-200...hows The D-pad?

hanzou

Still Fresh
hello. I'm new here. I've been interested in buying a GP2X ever since it's original release, however, there's one big thing keeping me from picking one up- the D-pad. I'm really picky about controls and i absolutely NEED a good d-pad. ever since i saw the F-200 i was happy that it was getting an alternative to the F-100 joystick-but i learned that this model didn't have a standard d-pad, but rather four separate buttons. that REALLY bugged me. <_<

I also read in reviews and posts that it wasn't good for games that required diagonal based movements like street fighter. i wonder how that will affect shumps. also, is there a D-pad cover for the F-200 like the PSP, and is there anyone here willing to apply the "Gruso mod" to the f-200's d-pad? (and is the mod any good?)I have no interest in the Wiz BTW, mostly because of it's small screen and so-called buttons, which look like a second D-pad with splits in the middle. i actually have my eye on the Pandora, however, i really want to experience the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the D-Pad is very important to you, opt for the Pandora as it has a more conventional d-pad suited to 2D fighters and shooters.

Plus, most of the best apps from the gp2x will more than likely be ported across to the Pandora and many could be expanded upon too!

'low G man' said:
hello. I'm new here. I've been interested in buying a GP2X ever since it's original release, however, there's one big thing keeping me from picking one up- the D-pad. I'm really picky about controls and i absolutely NEED a good d-pad. ever since i saw the F-200 i was happy that it was getting an alternative to the F-100 joystick-but i learned that this model didn't have a standard d-pad, but rather four separate buttons. that REALLY bugged me. <_<

I also read in reviews and posts that it wasn't good for games that required diagonal based movements like street fighter. i wonder how that will affect shumps. also, is there a D-pad cover for the F-200 like the PSP, and is there anyone here willing to apply the "Gruso mod" to the f-200's d-pad? (and is the mod any good?)I have no interest in the Wiz BTW, mostly because of it's small screen and so-called buttons, which look like a second D-pad with splits in the middle. i actually have my eye on the Pandora, however, i really want to experience the GP2X.
You could PM Gruso to see if he'll do the Dpad modification for you. :)

The D-pad is fine as people have said in countless threads. At first it seems different, but in a few hours it feels natural and works as good as good as any other standard d-pad.

I have an F200. The gaming controls are fine. I've heard some complaints from NeoGeo fans that spinning circular d-pad moves are difficult to pull off. If you're not a NeoGeo god, the F200's controls are good.

Back