Please help this poor newb with PCSX ReARMed .

2bit

I Am Sorry to bother you guys again - but I would like some help . Here is the problem : You know how you have to copy bios files to

<SD>/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/bios/ ... Well that's the bit I need help with . I would be extremely greatful for help ,

2bit

Launch the app once, it will create the folders.

Then, you can use the file manager to copy the bios in the right place.

Then in the program menu's, goto BIOS and select the bios you added (not HLE), then click "save global config".

Thank you very , very , very much .

Btw what do you mean Wally ?

Actually ... One last thing thing , where do find where to copy the bios ?

I know I'm terrible at this but one of the main reasons I bought the Pandora was as a learning experience that I could after learning come away with a awesome game system and computer as my prize .

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be sorry about being a newbie (which btw is something completely different than a noob in my opinion). Everyone has to start somewhere.

Since you said that you want to learn something about the Pandora I will try to help you with a very quick introduction about the command-line-interface. You for sure already know that the Pandora runs Linux. Using the command-line in Linux offers you the most options and power to do things. Though it's not intuitive. You have to know at least some commands and basics. I recommend to search the web for stuff like "basic introduction into command line linux" or in combination with terms like "shell" or "terminal". For help on a certain command search for "manpages" (manual pages) together with the command, for example "manpage ls" to get help on the "ls" command. Just try around. I will stick only to the very basic things needed to copy the bios-file to the right directory.

To open a terminal/shell press the Pandora-button that will open the XFCE-menu. Now select the second entry from the top named "Terminal". A mostly black window will open.

Try typing "ls" (without quotes). That's the command to list the content of the directory you are currently in. That directoty is your home-directory. If you get lost somewhere, then simply close the window and open a new terminal and you will be in your home-directory again.

Back to your question "Where do I have to put the bios-file?". That depends a little on where you got the PND of pcsx-rearmed stored at (either nand or sdcard). I'll assume that you stored it on SDcard.

If an SDcard is being inserted, then it gets mounted in the directory "/media/" with a certain name that depends on your SDcard-configuration. For some practicing the command-line you can try to find that name out in the following way:

Type

Code:
ls /media/

Note that this is a small "LS" not a "is" with a large "i".

Several blue names should appear. They are blue because they are directories and not files. Now eject your SD-card (be sure to exit before all running programs that are stored on the card) and type "ls /media/" again. One of the directories should have disappeared. Insert the card again and type the command a third time. Noticed which name reappeared? That's the directory-path to your SDcard.

Let's change the directory of the terminal from your home-directory to your SDcard. You can do this with the command "cd" which stands for "change directory".

Type the command "cd" followed by the path to your SDcard. For me that path is "/media/trans8/". For you it differs like you found out before. So insert your name in the following line:

Code:
cd /media[/trans8/

Type "ls" again ("list") and the content of your SDCard will be shown. The directory that is of interest right now is the one called "pandora". You should be able to see it, if the output of "ls" was not too long.

That "pandora" directory contains again various directoies. Let's check them out:

Code:
cd pandora

ls

You should see an appdata-directory. If you would look into that, then you might get tons of further directories, depending on how many PNDs you already run. So let's directly jump into the pcsx-rearmed folder and look at it content:

Code:
cd appdata/pcsx_rearmed/

ls

If you ran pcsx before, than it should have created a "bios"-directory which you should be able to see. Change into that directory and use a new command that shows you the complete path of the directory you are currently in. It's called "pwd" and stands for "print working directory".

Code:
cd bios

pwd

This is it. Now you know the path where your bios-file has to be put. All you've got to do now is to copy the file to that directory. Of course I can't tell you where your bios-file is right now. So as an example let's assume I copied it to the main-directory of my SDcard. That directory is for me "/media/trans8/". Again: For you it differs.

To copy it, I will use the "cp"-command (stands for "copy", doh):

Code:
cp /media/trans8/scph1001.bin /media/trans8/pandora/appdata/pcsx-rearmed/bios/

That should be all. Note that that you have to respect the cases of characters for all commands and names. So if one of the directories for example starts with a capital letter, then you have to write it capital.

A little hint for advantages usage: If you are annoyed about typing all theses directory-names, then you can use TAB (fn+Space) to complete the names. For example try typing "ls /med" and then press TAB. The name will be automatically completed into "/media/". If that does not work, then it means that a file/directory starting with the typed characters does not exist or exists more than once. Try typing "ls /m" then press TAB once. Nothing will happen. Press TAB again and you will see a list of all directories starting with "m". So type onward ("e") and press TAB again to finally complete the name.

If you don't get that last thing I explained, then don't worry. It's just a help for faster entering and not a necessity

I hope this helped and didn't only confuse you. :)

Thank you very , very , very much .

Btw what do you mean Wally ?

Actually ... One last thing thing , where do find where to copy the bios ?

Wally hasn't a reply in this thread, are you talking about Linux-SWAT or Kingoddball's replies?

If I understand you correctly, it's all been answered above, but I'll try to reduce it to a couple of steps too:

1) Run PcsxRearmed - then quit it. When you do this the first time it will create all the folders you need, on the SD card where you have the PcsxRearmed PND, in the pandora/appdata folder.

2) Take your BIOS file (usually a file called Scph1001.bin), and put it in /pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/bios/

The simplest method is to use the file manager - either click on your SD card's symbol on the desktop, or the drive symbol beside the Pandora logo on the bottom left of the screen, and make your way to the Pcsxrearmed folder on your SD card -

Go into the Pandora folder, then into the appdata folder, then inside the pcsx_rearmed folder you will find the 'bios' folder. Go into that and paste your Bios file there. Nothing else goes in that folder.

As Kingoddball said, you have to then make the Bios active by default, so start Pcsxrearmed, and in the initial options select BIOS and select the bios you added - it will display the names of any Bios files that it finds in the BIOS folder, so if you put scph1001.bin there then that should show up (don't select HLE), then click "save global config" - now it will always use the Bios file in future.

Games you can put anywhere, but because you may want to update the emulator at some point in the future it's probably best to keep games somewhere other than in the actual emulator folder itself - I keep my games in a folder in the root of the card, it remembers where it last loaded a game from so it's no more difficult to load them wherever they are.

Ok weirdest thing it ( the bio ) when selected makes a weird fizzle sound then exits to the menu .

Asmo : I could've sworn Wally posted " Dupe thread " . However I have the weirdest working of memorys .

Edit : I actually just realized the Bios was HLE ... Does anyone know how to change it ? I think that is my problem .

Asmo : I could've sworn Wally posted " Dupe thread " . However I have the weirdest working of memorys .
He did. Story corroborated. I'm pretty sure he was confused with the other PCSX thread.

He did. Story corroborated. I'm pretty sure he was confused with the other PCSX thread.
I actually have two PCSX threads going . Why ? Because one was originally a Snes9x4P thread and I changed it because I didn't want to waste this site's space , however after a day it got no attention so I started this one . Actually if some cough kissup cough extremely kind MOD could merge the two it might prevent a bit of confusion .

Ok weirdest thing it ( the bio ) when selected makes a weird fizzle sound then exits to the menu .

Edit : I actually just realized the Bios was HLE ... Does anyone know how to change it ? I think that is my problem .

Have you put your BIOS file in Pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/bios/ ?

The pcsx_rearmed/bios/ folder is one that the emulator creates itself - not one that you would have made.

What is your bios file called? It must be a genuine Psx bios file, with a .bin extension.

You just highlight and select BIOS in the options menu, then use the D-Pad to cycle through any BIOS files you have in your Pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/bios/ folder. If there's only one bios file there, then you'll only be able to cycle between HLE and the bios file you have placed in the bios folder.

Any valid bios files that you have put in that folder will show up, the best for general use would be one called scph1001.bin (no zip files or anything unusual). If you can't change from HLE (no bios) to anything else, then either the bios file you have is in the wrong location or is not a valid file. It should be called scph(followed by a serial number).bin

As in the above posts, once you have selected scph1001.bin (assuming that is the file you have put in the bios folder, which is in the pcsx_rearmed folder found in the pandora/appdata folder), back in the options menu you should highlight & choose 'save global config' so that Pcsx will always start with this Bios (otherwise it will default to HLE -running without a Bios, which will limit performance and/or game compatibility).

So, to reiterate, from the beginning:

You run Pcsxrearmed once, so that it creates it's folders in pandora/appdata. Then you quit it.

You need to get a playstation BIOS file, ideally one called scph1001.bin

No zipped files. It will always be a file with 'scph' at the start, and '.bin' as it's file extension.

You copy your bios file, and navigate through your SD card with

Pcsxrearmed on it -

Go into the 'pandora' folder.

Go into the 'appdata' folder.

Go into the 'pcsx_rearmed' folder.

Go into the 'bios' folder - and paste your bios file in there.

Nothing else goes in this folder

Run Pcsxrearmed, and go through the steps described above and in previous posts to switch from HLE to the bios file you have put on your card.

If all the above has been followed precisely but you still can't change from HLE to your bios file, then the bios file must be invalid - try finding a different copy or re-downloading it in case it was corrupt.

Several blue names should appear. They are blue because they are directories and not files. Now eject your SD-card (be sure to exit before all running programs that are stored on the card) and type "ls /media/" again. One of the directories should have disappeared. Insert the card again and type the command a third time. Noticed which name reappeared? That's the directory-path to your SDcard.
no blue names appeared . Did I forget something ?

no blue names appeared . Did I forget something ?

If you just typed

ls /media/

Then you won't be seeing any blue text, just a list of the names of your media ('drives')

For example, I am running my OS from SD card (left slot) and have a card with my applications in my right slot. When I type ls /media/ what I get is:

8Gb Boot Root hdd ram

8Gb being the name I gave the card in the right slot, Boot & Root are the names of the two partitions on the card in the left slot, hdd is the Nand (the Pandora's internal memory - leave alone!), and Ram is the Ram (obviously).

If this is still in pursuit of the pcsx_rearmed/bios folder, you'll almost certainly find it easier to get there just using the file manager until you're more comfortable with using the terminal though.

Just look at the desktop, and there should be an SD card icon representing the card on which you have your PNDs. Just click on that and the file manager appears showing the root of the card - then just click on the 'pandora' folder, in there you click on the 'appdata' folder - in there you'll see the pcsx_rearmed folder (only if you ran PcscRearmed already) if you click on that you'll be in the pcsx_rearmed folder and will see the 'bios' folder that you click on, and in which you must put a valid bios file.

So by finally clicking on the bios folder, technically you will have arrived in:

/media/whatever_your_SD_card_is_called/pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/bios/

Copy your bios file from wherever you have it, and paste it there.

If you wish, just leave the window displaying the Bios folder open, go back to the desktop and use the file manager the same way to go to the location where you have stored your bios file - then highlight it, right-click and select 'copy' - go back to the window displaying the Bios folder, and right click in it and select 'paste'. Done!

All file manager windows that are open will be shown in the bar at the bottom of the screen as blue folder icons, you can switch between them just by tapping either of them once.

@2bit:

hm, no. You probably didn't forget something. Then I was wrong and and the color-output is part of my own personal configuration. Sorry for the false information.

If you need a way to determine which list-entry of ls is a file and which a directory, then there are two possible ways I can think of right now (As often in Linux there are many more ways).

Way 1: If you use "ls -l" (the last character is a small L ) instead of using only "ls", then you will get the long output for each entry. In that output every line starting with a "d" instead of a "-" is a directory.

Way 2: If you type any command - for example "ls " (with a space at the end) - and then press TAB twice (remember TAB = "fn" then "Space"), then you will also get the output of the current directory-content. In that output every directory shows up with a "/" at then end. While normal files do not have that "/".

Edit: Way 3: Use "ls --color". (I hope this works with your configuration.)

btw: Asmo is right. Using the filemanager is easier for a newcomer. I just thought that this might be a good training for someone who wants to learn about the possibilities of Linux.

hm that statement is a bit unclear. What did you do before getting that message? If you tried typing one of the commands that i posted, then be sure to type them correctly. For example there is always a space between "ls" and the next "-".

So:

It's "ls -l", not "ls-l".

It's "ls --color", not "ls--color".

To write the "-" you have to press "fn"+"d". Not "fn"+"y".

Back