Release PND management suite

bzar

A Commando
Website
Visit site
I've been working on a package management (install/remove/upgrade/browse) solution for PNDs with Cloudef, and we're presenting the results as our Rebirth entry. Our entry consists of four separate parts: pndman, qtpndman, milkyhelper and PNDManager. Here's a short description of each:

pndman

A PND management library written in C. Interfaces with any number of PND repositories. Easy and clean API, supports multiple concurrent downloads, lean and mean.

qtpndman

A Qt-friendly wrapper for pndman, making it easier to create graphical PND managers. All C stuff and concepts are neatly concealed behind a thin layer, exposing only C++ and Qt concepts to the application programmer.

Milkyhelper

A command line PND management application (rewrite from the earlier versions, now uses pndman as backend, generally more sane). Taking cues from Arch Linux's pacman and yaourt, milkyhelper is a full-fledged PND management solution for the people who prefer a good command line application over all the GUI fluff. Fast, snappy and efficient, this little firecracker works on Pandora, desktop Linux and even MS Windows.

screenshots

another screenshot

PNDManager (name may change because there already is a PNDManager)

PND management Panorama UI. Inspired by Google/Play Market and Meego, this Panorama UI leverages qtpndman to provide a graphical way to manage your PNDs. Fully usable with both touch screen and game controls, PNDManager offers an easy way to get new software for your Pandora.

screenshot

another screenshot

https://www.youtube.com/embed/qcnZLreex_8?feature=oembed
Code:
<o/  \o/  Disco! _o/  <o_   		oTZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the installed view in the video is already outdated, I thought I'd add this screenshot:

ph1wE.png

As the games sharing a row are'nt really related, I'd prefer this:

panorama-search.png

Golly! This looks really impressive. May i ask a question about the updating process? Older Versions are being overwritten? Personally i would like to keep the old version first, until the new one proved to be better. Great would be a rename to 'pnd-name.version.pnd' or something similar (like name.date).

Fusion_Power, Binky: Those would be one or two line changes to the UI files. I think I'll keep the one I did as default, but it can be quite easily customized from appdata

double7: They are overwritten. How often do you revert an upgraded package?

Maybe move the older version to a 'replaced' category from which the user can run, delete the pnd, or overwrite the more recent version with it

As the games sharing a row are'nt really related, I'd prefer this:

View attachment 2485
Yes, that makes it even more clear. :)

Fusion_Power, Binky: Those would be one or two line changes to the UI files. I think I'll keep the one I did as default, but it can be quite easily customized from appdata
as more customizing options the menu has, as better it is. ^^

The categories come from the PND metadata and repository provided information. Keeping the PNDs renamed could be implemented on pndman level. Anyway, I consider the use case quite rare, and thus low priority.

More specifically, you wouldn't change options, but the QML files. For those changes specifically this one (change root Item to Rectangle and set its color to depend on "index"). It's not exactly flipping a switch, but very easy for anyone who knows QML. These customized versions of the UI files can then be shared among people. No part of how the UI looks is set in stone at compile or packaging time. It's ALL customizable.

The categories come from the PND metadata and repository provided information. Keeping the PNDs renamed could be implemented on pndman level. Anyway, I consider the use case quite rare, and thus low priority.

Sure, I can add KEEP_OLD flag to the update produce, however not until rebirth is finished as stuff is in feature freeze now.

More specifically, you wouldn't change options, but the QML files. For those changes specifically this one (change root Item to Rectangle and set its color to depend on "index"). It's not exactly flipping a switch, but very easy for anyone who knows QML. These customized versions of the UI files can then be shared among people. No part of how the UI looks is set in stone at compile or packaging time. It's ALL customizable.
I just thought about a simple "options" menu or something like this, wehre you can adjust colours and so on. Like Apple would do...(no, don't kill me pls :D )

double7: They are overwritten. How often do you revert an upgraded package?
It depends how you would like to count upgrades. Most commonly known i'm sticky on OpenOffice 2.02 portable instead of all following updates, upgrades and forks to LibreOffice, because OO2.02p is smaller, runs without any local pc configuration and installation just from any media and does anything i need. For emulators improvements could have a negative effect on some software to be emulated. Especially during beta testing it's good to have a backup or history of the previous releases. I'd like to be better safe than sorry.

Back