Pocketable or Comfortable

Should the Pandora 2 try to be pocketable, or should it try to be comfortable to hold?

• Pocketable

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Comfortable to hold

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Both - Compromise

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Both - No compromise (Please post a design or example)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Neither - This view of P2 design is wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bismuthdrummer

I don't see how to win both ways on this, but perhaps I am missing something. Smartphones are pocketable but obviously uncomfortable for typing and gaming. Add on an iCP or Moga and now you've got comfort but you've lost pocketability. nVidia Shield isn't pocketable at all but looks very comfortable for gaming. Pandora 1, PS Vita, 3DS are all somewhat pocketable and somewhat comfortable in the hands for their intended uses.

What should the Pandora 2 (real name tbd) shoot for then? Have you got a best-of-both-worlds design to blow everyone away? Should we stick with compromise? Or is one of these two attributes a premium over the other? Or am I just wrong in looking at it this way?

BTW I don't care that pocketable/pocketability is not a word despite my spellchecker going insane. :huh:

What about a 3ds with a keyboard instead of the second screen
I would prefer a size between the 3DS and the 3DSXL.
On Topic: Compromise is the way to go, what use is a device that is meant to be used on the go if it is cumbersome to take it with you. So

I'd say something like the current pandora, with a slightly thinner base, and a much thinner screen.
is probably the best way to go

The size of the current Pandora (or slightly thinner) is fine, but the case could have some more roundings and shapes for a more ergonomic grip. Extra rounding can also make it look slimmer than it is.

The size of the current Pandora (or slightly thinner) is fine, but the case could have some more roundings and shapes for a more ergonomic grip. Extra rounding can also make it look slimmer than it is.
Not sure I agree with too much rounding... The Pandora actually fits very well in hand (surprisingly!) and I know that playing with the PSP makes me more uncomfortable over long periods of time. 

I'd like to see a pocketable design with an optional extra of an ergonomic grip which can be attached as desired.

Pocketable is relative. I think the point would be to make it as small as it can be and still be useful. A keyboard that you can at least thumb type on comfortably and a screen that you can see. A bit larger would be fine as long as the P doesn't turn in to a sub-notebook. There are plenty of those.

What about a 3ds with a keyboard instead of the second screen
XL? sounds great. Regular size I'd have to think about but wouldn't be bad. Of course we'll do our own *design* so we're not copycats, but a similar form factor to the 3DS is where it's at, I agree.

Pocketable is relative. I think the point would be to make it as small as it can be and still be useful. A keyboard that you can at least thumb type on comfortably and a screen that you can see. A bit larger would be fine as long as the P doesn't turn in to a sub-notebook. There are plenty of those.
Yes, there's no doubt a spectrum, just asking what the principle aim should be and you said it well. Bigger is fine for me as well, if we get something good for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a pocketable 'Pandy Stick' whereas I may carry this stick to work and leave my Pandora home. When I arrive at my workplace I may place the stick into my monitor via USB or Firewire and access all my Pandora apps of choice.

I'd approximate a 128gb one would suffice. Not all my data would be included of course. :p

:mellow: a little black or silver stick with the Pandora logo on it....hmmm  ^_^

Last edited:
A big selling point for me would be the possibility of putting it in my jacket or (rather large)jeans pocket.

The current pandora fits, but only just, mainly because of it's thickness.

In terms of comfort, my only problem is the size of the keyboard and the travel distance of the shoulder buttons (Should be a bit longer).

The keyboard is just large enough for me to use effectively, so shrinking it more than 2-3mm would be a big no-no for me.

Cargo pants(trousers)/shorts...they're kind of like the mullet of the clothing world, but the side pockets fit the Pandora well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much agree with slaeshjag, the current size is just about right (for me).  A thinner P2 would be even better.  I say design the dimensions around a good 5"-5.5" AMOLED screen.  Just put the speakers in the "base" portion of the case (near the screen, NOT underneath the base).  The "top" part of the P2 should be almost all screen...with a minimal bezel.

I pretty much agree with slaeshjag, the current size is just about right (for me).  A thinner P2 would be even better.  I say design the dimensions around a good 5"-5.5" AMOLED screen.  Just put the speakers in the "base" portion of the case (near the screen, NOT underneath the base).  The "top" part of the P2 should be almost all screen...with a minimal bezel.
Out of the 5 ideas that you proposed I 100% agree with... 5 of them.

I'd say something like the current pandora, with a slightly thinner base, and a much thinner screen.
The lid is pretty tight as is - you need to get the LCD cable in exactly the right place to match up with the thin bit of the lid under the logo to get it to fit.  What makes it look fatter is the lip all the way round it, which is designed to avoid the screen clashing with the keyboard and controls when closed.  The tolerances here can be made tighter I reckon, and also if they use buttons for the keyboard and perhaps flatten out the ABXY buttons they should be able to get the screen tighter to the base when closed.

Making the base thinner, especially along the bottom row of keys would help reduce hand strain when typing, as it tend to conflict with the thumb as it currently is.  Tricky to do with the current size of PCB, but I hope that switching away from full-size SD for one or both of the sockets should help reduce the overall size dramatically.

Something needs to be done about the fat connector inside the lid, and possibly have the frame around it reduced a bit. Might be possible to have the area with the controls sligtly recessed (lowering the entire case around them) so that the controls are at the same level as te keyboard, then the frame around the screen might be made largely unneeded.

Getting rid of full-size SD won't fix anything I'd reckon, maybe, maybe that it would be nice if it wasn't quite as deep, but I think the thickness is the big problem with the current pandora's size.

P1 is pocketable and comfortable,

but please use the speakers of the 3DS(XL) or anything similar the next time if possible.

I think the idea of getting good quality sound out of a device this size with as much other hardware as the P has is a dead end street. My tendency would be to go with a single speaker with reasonable sound and continue to focus on quality audio using the jack or Bluetooth connection to real speakers. With DLNA and other technologies continuing to progress, there are plenty of other ways to do sound than with built-in tiny speakers. I'm not bashing those who say use DS speakers, etc. I would rather the devs use the space for other things or downsize the device rather than put two speakers that I am certain still won't be something I want to listen to music through. If we've got extra space, build in a CMOS amp! That would give me one less Altoids box to carry. Someone mentioned appealing to the Hi-Fi crowd. That would do.

I own a PS Vita, which is not really pocketable, but still somewhat comfortable to hold, altought I have huge hands. I would go for a Pandora that can be held easily in hands.

Is the current Pandora really that uncomfortable for people?  I've seen complaints that the corners dig into the palms of people's hands.  The corners never even touch my hands.  All I can think is that people are so scared of dropping it that they're cramming the palms of their hands right up against the sides of it.

Suggestion - relax the death grip.

Get a wrist strap off of a flashlight, wii remote or other.  

Loop it through that little plastic bit on the back lower of the Pandora - that is what that weird pair of holes is for.  For anyone who cares, the type of knot to use is a Larks Head http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larks_head or Cow Hitch.  I'm from the middle of cattle country in the US and I've always heard and called it a Lark's Head - go figure.

Loop that strap around one of your wrists.  

Now loosen your grip on the Pandora.  You should have a clear inch (2-3cm) on either side of it if your hands are where they should be to comfortably put your thumbs on the nubs.

It should be supported by your pinky and ring fingers.

Use your middle finger on the trigger buttons.

Use your index fingers at the hinge space to support the screen.

Now that the, "It's digging a hole through my palms!" concerns are solved... and no more hand/wrist fatigue to boot.

I'd like to see the P2 have about 2/3 to 3/4 the thickness of the P1.  If that means only 6 hours of battery life - fine.  I already carry a 2nd battery when I travel.

The real restriction on dimensions is whether or not it will fit in a dress shirt pocket with the headphone jack exposed so I can listen to tunes on the plane while eating my 'snack'.  Adding a bunch of extra plastic for a full palm grip - that would utterly destroy the device IMHO.

Back