Pocketsnes V6.3 F200 By Headoverheels

Rivroner

HeadOverHeels says:

I have fixed some things to this marvellous Reesy´s Emulator:

- Sound frequencies have been changed (8250,16500) to make GP2X F200 compatible.NO more hangs in F200 with sound frequencies.

- 256x240 games resolution problem have been fixed.Super Mario World PAL for instance.

- I have compiled a version where i have changed SPC700 ASM (Notaz) to C. This new C version is more compatible (Terranigma sound now works) and speed diference is minimun.

-Some changes i don´t remember :D

***Translation by Rivroner.My english is not enough good, but i have tried it ;)

Here are the links to gp32spain.Maybe you need to register ;) :

PocketSnes_v6.3_HeadOverHeels

PocketSnes_v6.3_SOURCE_HeadOverHeels

Enjoy it ;)

terranigmashot16.png

Thanks Headoverheels for the updated version!

Just tried it and works without any problem on the F200.

Thanks Rivroner for the news and the fine translation :)

GAlioUS said:
This version also supports USB pads and has other corrections.
That´s Right, usb pads support was added in 6.1 ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
xenonflash said:
Is this any better than SquideSNES? I've been away from the scene for a long time.
Er, what I MEANT to say was: Great update, HeadOverHeels!

And thanks to Rivroner for posting this. :D

(That's what I get for not reading!)

xenonflash said:
Is this any better than SquideSNES? I've been away from the scene for a long time.
In my opinion both emulators are just like the same, althought the sound is better in PocketSnes imo ;)

sam fisher said:
Actually going from an ASM based core to a C based core. You don't see that often ;)
You can launch both versions.

xenonflash said:
Interface is a little nicer. Donkey Kong Country runs much better. F-Zero about 2 FPS slower.

Nice release, things seem smoother.

All the usual suspects work, super mariokart, killer instinct, smw, uni-rally, f-zero, donkey kong country etc

Tried starfox; shows the ship for about 1 or 2 seconds then back to just background (at least the ship shows now).

Tried stunt race fx, getting better but still unplayable and inaccurate (may get more accurate but i think this 1 will always be unplayable on gp2x).

Street fighter alpha is still garbled like its missing a decoder/key.

Think unless dual cpu is implemented then we've probably come very close to maximising the snes experience on gp2x.

Thanks for all your hardwork!

stormyandcold said:
Tried starfox; shows the ship for about 1 or 2 seconds then back to just background (at least the ship shows now).

Tried stunt race fx, getting better but still unplayable and inaccurate (may get more accurate but i think this 1 will always be unplayable on gp2x).
Those are games that used the Super FX chip, which still isn't 100% supported on PC emulators. It would take an enormous amount of time speed up emulation of that chip on the GP2X. Don't expect emulation of these games to ever improve past this point for those games (frankly I'm surprised they run at all).

Um, yeah, I think I've been here long enough to know that already ;)

I'm very familiar with Zsnes and snes9x :)

It'd still be cool to see accuracy of emulation, even if speed will never be upto scratch.

stormyandcold said:

It'd still be cool to see accuracy of emulation, even if speed will never be upto scratch.
If you want accuracy in SNES emulation try BSNES. It's the most accurate emulator you'll ever try. It's for the PC though, and is very cpu intensive. I don't believe it runs FX chip stuff though. SNESGT is another emulator that I personally use. It has the most accurate sound and also emulates the FX chip nicely. These two emulators blow away SNES9X and ZSNES IMHO. Those emulators never had that accurate of a sound core. Both are great emulators. SNES9X is very portable, and ZSNES is very fast on low end systems, but honestly, who uses a pentium II as their main PC now a days. Hell, even a i486 :eek: Anyways this is a nice update and does seem to play a bit better on my F100. Thanks for the release. It's much appreciated

stormyandcold said:

Sorry. One never knows these days when people come on here asking about SNES emulation... :p

damned said:
tales of phantasia works now.
Yes, and with sound.And MegamanX2 X3 works now too ;)

Yeah and the fact that there where multiple versions of the chip (probably the most useful ones was the DSP-1, Cx4, etc.), there really isn't a universal FX chip emulator.

Some please correct me if im wrong but, maybe if there was a plugin based archeitecture for the emulators maybe some could work on mini plugins for each different type, maybe for use on the second CPU then we could have something. Of course I highly doubt anything like that is ever going to happen and unsure of how the GP2X would handle bridged programs like that would be.

That was one of the additional reasons why the cartridge medium was so damn expensive back then (even though in retrospect the US economy was pretty confortable); It also gave the devs more freedom do to the expandability of the cartridge hardware itself.

Back