Point Outs For A New Member

RatoZumbi

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

I am new in the world emulation devices and I have some questions.

First I want to know from those who already had an gp32 or an older videogame, how long did it took for new emulators and apps to come out for your new videogame? Whorst it to wait? I'm considering to buy a caanoo, but i'm afraid that it will take a long time until someone find a way to run java and flash apps
Another thing that concerns me it's about the 3D support, wich is my main bet on caanoo over dingoo and wiz. I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-33IdcH3Wb8 and came to me the question "Is there any native 3D game for caanoo like in dingoo?", because native 3D it's a lot better then any other 3D I have seen for these devices.
This same video showed me that the emulation generaly is better at dingoo then at wiz. Is it the same thing comparing dingoo and caanoo??

Nincest64 also called my attention, I know some programming and maybe i could help to port this emulator to caanoo, I just need some directions.

Other toughts:
Comparing Caanoo, wiz and dinggo, wich one runs best psx?
Did the sound problem got fixed on gpsp for caanoo?
Does PicoDrive run most of the Master System games? If not, is there an alternative option?

Thank you all.

I only have a Caanoo where the PSX emulation is only in beta now. Frankly I wouldn't put too much stock in handheld PSX emulation at the moment, all the consoles seem to "theoretically" have PSX emulators but when it comes to actually playing games properly at a decent speed, even the Pandora is struggling. If it's a deal-breaker for you I would wait a little longer to see if the situation improves.

The sound on the Caanoo's Gpsp is absolutely fine now, the emulator needs a bit of tweaking but nothing major. I don't play Master System stuff or have a Wiz so I can't help with your other questions, but I can say that the video you posted is a bit out of date, and the Wiz emulators were a bit rough and ready back then (just "quickie" ports from the GP2X). Both consoles have improved a lot since the review, but I think generally the Wiz emulators are better than the Dingoo ones nowadays.

I'll answer your Sega Master System question. Picodrive does play the games perfectly. There's another emulator, SDL_SMS, available as well. I prefer Picodrive though.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the PSP yet, As this is definitely your best device
for portable PSX emulation. Probably the best for everything you are after in a portable
emulation device.

Just don`t use it for commercial PSP game once you have flash it to custom firmware.

Trooper

trooper said:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the PSP yet, As this is definitely your best device
for portable PSX emulation. Probably the best for everything you are after in a portable
emulation device.

Just don`t use it for commercial PSP game once you have flash it to custom firmware.

Trooper

Psx is just a plus, i don't REALLY need it. But i'm curious about running Java, flash and native 3D apps.

And does anyone knows anything about Nincest64?

For those who answared my questions, thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
goldenegg said:
I'll answer your Sega Master System question. Picodrive does play the games perfectly.
I've had problems with some games, but I'd say they're small.

I would doubt N64 emulation to be anywhere on the horizon - as is said across any forum that mentions an open-source handheld device, N64 emulation would be far too slow to be feasible.

What about Snes9x4C? http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,538

It looks like I can give a hand here. What you guys think? How is the SNES emulation on caanoo? And in Wiz?

Please improve the SNES emulator - your contribution would be extremely useful, RatoZumbi. As of current, you can't overclock the emulator to make games run faster, and you have to exit out of the emulator to load different games - fixing either problem would be great (the second one is a must, though).

SolarLune said:
Please improve the SNES emulator - your contribution would be extremely useful, RatoZumbi. As of current, you can't overclock the emulator to make games run faster, and you have to exit out of the emulator to load different games - fixing either problem would be great (the second one is a must, though).

I honestly think time would be much better spent porting PocketSNES from the Wiz, rather than continuing with Snes9x4C.

I would have to say that porting that though porting the PocketSNES would probably be much better, fixing and or making the Snes9x4C would still be very much appreciated. Many people would love you for fixing either...I myself included :p Honestly I would be thrilled when someone ports the NES and SNES emulators from the Wiz or does a great job of fixing the current ones for Caanoo, but these things take time.

I'm not sure what makes you say that the Dingoo is better than the Wiz at emulation. That video is very old, the emulators are much improved since then. I have all three and can honestly say that the Wiz is the best in this area. At the moment the Dingoo probably is better than the Caanoo but give it time to mature. The Wiz and Caanoo both have Flash players although don't expect much from it. The Wiz and Dingoo can both play Java games but again that still needs work. I personally don't think the Caanoo, and certainly not the Dingoo, will ever surpass the Wiz so I'd recommend that one to anyone asking.

Orion4874 said:
I personally don't think the Caanoo, and certainly not the Dingoo, will ever surpass the Wiz so I'd recommend that one to anyone asking.

I'm wondering why you think this. I believe it's only a matter of time before the Caanoo has all the emulators and software the Wiz currently has. The new design of the system makes it much more attractive to buyers than the Wiz. In Hong Kong, stores have even started replacing their stock of the Wiz with the Caanoo. Looking at past history with GPH devices, there's absolutely no reason to doubt the Caanoo will be as well supported as the Wiz in the future.

Oh, I don't mean popularity wise mind you. The Caanoo already has the Wiz beat in that regard. I'm talking performance and ease of use. Your always going to have problems with some games because of the analog stick and the fact that while the Caanoo has more memory it's slower than the Wiz. I'm sure the Caanoo will be well supported but it does have one strike against it already in the Pandora. That's where a lot of the devs that may have been coding for it are at the moment. While these devs may work there magic for this side of the aisle at some point the releases won't come as fast as they did for the Wiz early on. Don't get me wrong, I like the Caanoo but I honestly still prefer the Wiz a bit more.

cpu power does not determine the profitability and popularity of a device. every developer has their reasons for developing for a device and only a few actually want to develop for the most powerful. the dingoo has a great scene because it is the best of the chinese personal media players that everyone around the world can easily afford. the pandora is in no way competition to the caanoo, wiz, and even dingoo.

blues2 said:
cpu power does not determine the profitability and popularity of a device. every developer has their reasons for developing for a device and only a few actually want to develop for the most powerful. the dingoo has a great scene because it is the best of the chinese personal media players that everyone around the world can easily afford. the pandora is in no way competition to the caanoo, wiz, and even dingoo.

That is true. I already said, i know some programming and i'm interested in developing for caanoo.

goldenegg said:
Looking at past history with GPH devices, there's absolutely no reason to doubt the Caanoo will be as well supported as the Wiz in the future.

THAT is what i wanted to hear. I'm going to buy caanoo right now.

RatoZumbi said:
THAT is what i wanted to hear. I'm going to buy caanoo right now.

You won't regret it.

I own a A320 and the Caanoo. I had a Wiz too, but sold it as I hated the controls. Even though the Caanoo doesn't have as much software as the A320, it's the system I carry around now. The main thing I'm hoping for at the moment is a solid NES emulator. The current one is too slow and buggy. Should only be a matter of time before gpfce or something similar gets ported.

Two last considerations:

How's the video playback? Usually it play on normal speed? Does the sound gets buggy in anyway?

And can I run the audio player and an emulator at same time?

I can tell you that movies, and saving other videos on it work great. Once you figure out how to format them they are fast and sound amazing. I'm not so sure about the audio player during emulation though, I'd like to know that one myself. Besides all that though, I would definitely go with the Caanoo if I was you. I don't go anywhere without mine, and I'm sure given some time it will have just as good emulation support as the Wiz and others.

I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSztRuMr1PA and... is the caanoo screen that bad or it's the camera used to record?

That video also showed me that caanoo is good as wiz to emulate play station games.

Can i ask a favour of someone that have caanoo? :p

I want to see how well the SNES emulator runs chrono trigger and many final fantasys and donkey kongs as possible. Someone please record a video for me? (I will payback helping to develop a better emulator as soon as i get my caanoo)

Back