Pandora 'pokemon' Style Game For Pandora?

Is it a worth while project Idea?

• Total voters

Sly

Still Fresh
Hate to drop pokemon as the best example but it is pretty much what I'm going for... an addictive gaming experience thats expandable and competitive.

I want to put forward the idea to work on a 2D RPG game that's based around training creatures (or something simular) for battle against other players. Nothing has made portable consoles as kool as Pokemon has and I'm supprised the Open Source community hasn't tried to make it's own style game before... or at least to my knowledge?

It'd be even better to see a possible MMO component being added.

Anyone interested in working on the idea? (I'm not a vastly experienced programmer) but anyone got tips on if there's a good engine that could be used for developing this that will work for the pandora?

personally, i would rather base a game on my own ideas rather than someone else's. there's already a mmo being developed by eniko, by the way, check the wiki for projects under development.

however, there aren't many RPGs being developed for the pandora, this is a viable option for anyone who is planning to make an RPG.

I voted no because there are already so many pokemon games. What might be a good idea for you is to look into hacking rom data. Theres also a couple opensource remakes. Unless you have a good story or an idea that will change game play, I dont think that there will be much interest.

I voted yes. There really aren't that many monster taming games like this anymore at all (besides Dragon Quest Monsters), and the Pandora needs a good turn-based RPG. Monster taming games can be much more than just Pokémon clones, as Dragon Quest Monsters has already showed us. There was another game for the Dreamcast that did things a little differently, too. The game was called Time Stalkers (or Climax Landers in some regions). As long as the systems are new and fresh, and the story is good, I am going to say go for it.

As for a monster capturing MMO, there is already MixMaster (Although I believe it's closed source and only available on PC). Having an MMO option in this game would be great. The maps would have to be developed to accomodate many players, but at the same time not look bland and empty. My idea for this would to be to use the maps in the offline game while sending information to a server to be relayed to other people connected to it, in order to pinpoint stats, location, etc. Stackable characters wouldn't be bad, but if done incorrectly, would look bad.

Xian Long said:
personally, i would rather base a game on my own ideas rather than someone else's.
There is no such thing as true originality. The best you can hope for is to copy and combine so many different ideas that it looks like something new.

Final Fantasy bore many similarities to Dragon Quest...

Anyway, I voted "yes", with the caveat that this is sure to be a very difficult and long project so... just know what you're getting into.

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on whether it's a good game or not.
I really kind of hate MMOs, and they always have that problem where you have to maintain a server.

If there was something similar to Pokemon, but more plausible (Pokemon has more than a few problems with Fridge Logic), that would be interesting, but I think most people will want a more concrete game than "sorta like Pokemon" before they can say yes or no.

i voted yes as i love to waste alot of time on decent rpgs like this.. stuff like pokemon and persona really interest me.

I would say yes if the following would be true about the project:
  1. It won't be targeted towards children but instead contain elements that are more "realistic" and plausible. If you instead of Pokémon-style creatures would have squirrels that you train to use swords, I'd be happier (but of course, there has to be some kind of fiction involved; just don't make it as incredible as int he Pokémon world).
  2. It would have a very large MO facet. I don't enjoy playing RPGs alone.
  3. Strategy would be hugely important. Not so much leveling and "the right training", but instead advanced battle tactics; maybe even real-time battles instead of turn-based ones.
  4. The world would be huge. I mean, literally, huge. It should take at least one hour to go (aka walk) straight from one side of the map to another, without stops. This would of course mean that there are great distances between cities etc, making it necessary to have transportation systems between them. Also always keep the possibility in there to expand the world map progressively, and adding more creatures.
  5. An optional plus: The "evolution" of the creatures would have some IRL gimmick to it, for instance that a creature evolves depending on which ability types you use the most (a fire creature that uses physical attacks only would slowly become a strength-based creature with corresponding attacks).
  6. Also: The graphics should try to utilize the full potential of the Pandora. I do like 2D-based games, but it would add a lot of realism if the world would be 3D (even if this means that it still is viewed from the same overhead 3rd person camera view).

Take a look on the wiki, as there's a good few 2D and 3D engines available for Pandora, which should provide a good starting point.

A true Pokémon style MMORPG would be immense.
Actually being a trainer and actively having battles with others online and you would need very little in the way of NPCs...
I've had many ideas floating around my head for this style of gameplay but I don't know about networking code to achieve anything, currently. Something could happen in the future but I'm not going to commit myself to another project yet...

I think it's a great idea, although reading through these posts, I now wonder; shall we be selling Pandoras to kids?
I think we ought.
A game of the sort is a wonderful idea, again, and I would love to help with music (need battle music? no trouble.)

I voted yes because I like the concept of the pokemon games. ofcourse making a simple clone of pokemon is a stupid idea, I would really want to see a more interesting battle system, MMO would be cool too. I'm working on an RPG too (Multiventure) so I will not be able to help. nevertheless, I'm looking forward to more about your project!

I also voted yes, just because every additional game released for the pandora is a good thing ;)
However, I also like pokemon-style games and an included multiplayer mode would be awesome (must not be an mmo, maybe just some kind of online arena where you can go and challange other players who are currently there).
But I think this is a heavy task, the game itself is hard to make, because of the huge amount of thing you have to design for it (levels, the world, the creatures, story - important!, etc.). But you also have to balance it and from my experience this is one of the toughest and most boring parts, but it can be very crucial to the games success.
Just have a look at professional game developers, in my opinion only blizzard was able to produce games which were perfectly balanced (for example warcraft 3) when they came out (and on the contrary look at C&C 3, which is still very unbalanced).

I still wish you the best and I am willing to help wherever I can.

foxblock out

Yeh, I don't see the main content being that difficult, as a kid I managed to come up with over a 100 different creatures for use in such a game with about the span of a week. Obviously thought I need to be a bit more creative on this idea, I wouldn't want it to be a Pokemon clone either. I think character and story is something I can work on fairly quickly, its more in-game worlds and definately coding that'll make this difficult to work on for me personally.

I've still yet to see any game engine that I could work with quickly. Really all I want mainly is an engine that will allow me to quickly produce large scale areas of the game, doesn't have to do amazing graphics because I intend for most of it to be of a cell shaded style.

Any MMO concept would probably be the basis of a few certain areas or islands that can hold only so many people, that or like, Clan hideouts etc. I'd want to focus on the game firstly having enough entertainment value as a single player... but worse case scenerio it could have at least sections of the game where two people can adventure together maybe.

I'm very interested in this game and could help you with coding. If you like, I will create a prototype engine for you with a level editor, so that you can easily create the world.

Jan-Nik said:
I'm very interested in this game and could help you with coding. If you like, I will create a prototype engine for you with a level editor, so that you can easily create the world.

Seriously... if you do, that'd be a great help. I would like to state though, starting this project isn't a garentee, as much as I'd love to have it going, I've got nearly 0 exp. at games development and as a student I've got a ton of commitments already...

But as sad as it is, this game is partly my dream project.

Sly said:
Seriously... if you do, that'd be a great help. I would like to state though, starting this project isn't a garentee, as much as I'd love to have it going, I've got nearly 0 exp. at games development and as a student I've got a ton of commitments already...
Okay. Nevertheless I'll try to implement something. What operation system are you using?

Jan-Nik said:
Sly said:
Okay. Nevertheless I'll try to implement something. What operation system are you using?

Typically Windows, but I do have a linux (ubuntu 8.10) machine that I'm happy to do the work on so I'd think it would probably be best to work with. I would assume any graphical work should really be done on linux due to the difference between 24bit and 32bit color, as the quality might differ when porting it either way.

Jan-Nik said:
You could try this as a base:
http://www.tuxemu.foo.se/

See "Free Pokemon"

Back