• Pyra

Votes: 66 35.3%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
As it seems pretty much clear people like the name "DragonBox", but DragonBox itself is not a good name (too many syllables), so we had the idea naming the general device "DragonBox" and then use different names for future models (like DragonBox Miriad, DragonBox Pyragon, etc.).

Similar to Debian Wheezy, Debian Squeeze, etc.

Therefore I decided to cancel the current poll and restart it - to find the best model name for the first new unit.

Voting will end December 13th.

Last edited by a moderator:
All those names have three syllables.

Dragora and dragonfly are operating systems. Pandragon i dont think works unless its pandargon.

What does myridon mean in greek?

Huh, Too many syllables? I'm not following . DragonBox has 3 syllables , so do most/all of the model names listed. Adding one of them would only mean a name then comprising 2 words for a total of 6 syllables.

Huh, Too many syllables? I'm not following . DragonBox has 3 syllables , so do most/all of the model names listed. Adding one of them would only mean a name then comprising 2 words for a total of 6 syllables.
Ah, right, not syllables.. but DragonBox itself doesn't sound smooth for a device name to me (probably because of the "box")

How about a moniker that works in short, but can also be used with dragon, like, the chest. dragonchest, dragonbox chest.

lore, spell, rage, touch,   plenty of short things to follow up with.

People are lazy, like the panda, and thats what openpandora became after a while.

if have you got a "*" doesnt work, in english or any other language its going to become the pi or the mi or similar.

Some explanation / etymology of the different name suggestions might be a good idea (maybe in the first post if possible).

Miriad is derived from "Myriad" (which is unfortunately already trademarked). Myriad is an ancient Greek word that means "10000"; in English and many other languages, it just means "many". The name is a subtle reference to Pandora (which comes from ancient Greek mythology) and refers to the many possible uses of the device and the fact that it can emulate so many other devices.

Pandragon, as far as I know, is just a combination of the words Pandora and Dragon.

Pyragon is a combination of "Pyra" (referring to Pyrrha, a daughter of Pandora) and "Dragon". It also resembles the word "paragon", which as an English noun means "A person of preeminent qualities, who acts as a pattern or model of some given (especially positive) quality." or "A companion; a match; an equal." and as a verb it means "To compare; to parallel; to put in rivalry or emulation with.", "To compare with; to equal; to rival.", "To serve as a model for; to surpass.", "To be equal; to hold comparison." - in other words, it refers to the high quality of the device and how it can be used for emulation.

I don't really know about the logic behind the other names (Dragora, Myridon, DragonFly).

Hey, I had a similar idea, naming the general brand DragonBox and the actual device different. :)

To make it shorter the actual device name culd be just some short names or even just characters like DragonBox-DX or -Pro, -One, -GT, -XT or whatever. ^^

However, I simply voted for DragonFly because it would be pretty easy to make a dragonfly logo. No clue what to choose for the other names as logo.

Guys, the thread to discuss about names and suggest them has been open for 2 weeks now...

Any new submissions now are too late. I need to set a deadline somewhere.

Hmmm, like many others I didn't see a problem with Dragon Box, still, what's in a name?

It also begs the question if you didn't like the name Dragon Box then why include it on the original poll?

Dragonfly for me then, it was a very close second (for me) when making the original choice.

I'd also be more than happy with Dragon as that was the name of my first computer :)

I will buy it and I will call it pandora 2 -_-

everything else will totaly confuse me and my surrounding.

call it whatever you like, but please do not print it on the case :p

What does dragons have to do with greek mythology? Also, none of us are greek.(?)
Not much, but "Pandora" does have quite a lot to do with greek mythology.
In greek mythology pandora opened a jar. This is a box, thats different. This is like thor with blonde hair all over again.

Pandora's jar is better known as Pandora's box, even if the latter is actually a minor mistranslation. Not as bad a mistranslation as the "young woman" Mary which got lost in translation as the "virgin" Mary, which lead to the doctrine of the virgin birth of Jesus.

I will buy it and I will call it pandora 2 -_-

everything else will totaly confuse me and my surrounding.

call it whatever you like, but please do not print it on the case :p
That's your choice I guess,  but since it's already well established that Pandora 2 won't be the official name of the device that seems like a sure way to cause confusion. :rolleyes:

- Neelix

Voted for Myridon, it seems there's no trademarks or domain associated with it.

Hmmm, like many others I didn't see a problem with Dragon Box, still, what's in a name? It also begs the question if you didn't like the name Dragon Box then why include it on the original poll?
He does acknowledge the DragonBox name as stated in the first post this device will be the "DragonBox __(What ever wins)"

My favourite in this list is Pandragon, but that is not going to win. I dislike Miriad - meh^∞ - and Dragonfly so I am strategically voting for Pyragon :)  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back