Port Of Zdoom

Skutarth

Still Fresh
I can't seem to get anywhere myself with porting ZDoom. It's one of the most capable Doom engines out there, too:
*I don't believe Strife has been ported, and ZDoom supports it.
*Current Heretic and Hexen ports are a little flaky.
*People keep asking for a port of Blood; a recreation of Blood is being/has been done on the ZDoom engine. It's the closest thing they can possibly get for the GP2X.

What are you getting stuck on? Compilation errors?

Or is that a somewhat roundabout way of asking if someone else is interested in porting it for you? :p

Compiling errors. The code is organized like nothing I've ever seen before.
It's also probably the reason nobody else has been successful with porting it.

I'm not sure what you've compiled before, but a bunch of source files organised into directories and some makefiles is pretty standard. The sticking points would be the fact that it needs FMOD (closed source and no ARM binaries IIRC), and that the texture mapping routines are written in x86 assembly.

Why not then try to port Doom Legacy for it's split screen multiplayer?

There's an alternate sound output method included with the source of ZDoom that may or may not be usable. I also think Heretic2x's renderer is pretty accurate and reasonably fast. Switch some stuff around, and it might work.

I think I'll take another crack at it unaided in a while. No promises that I'll get anywhere, though!
If anything, I hope to be able to make a proof of concept build with no sound.

Skutarth said:
There's an alternate sound output method included with the source of ZDoom that may or may not be usable. I also think Heretic2x's renderer is pretty accurate and reasonably fast. Switch some stuff around, and it might work.

I think I'll take another crack at it unaided in a while. No promises that I'll get anywhere, though!
If anything, I hope to be able to make a proof of concept build with no sound.
yes please!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1! ZDoom is my crack. If you get it to compile, let me know! I'd be glad to beta it for you (F100 fw 3.0.0) Be great if it used usb mouse and keyboard, too - mouselook and WSAD really changed doom into a different beast all together!

Best luck and wishes!
~Lineus

Back