Port Request - crrcsim

ibisum

Hi,

Can maybe one of you porting boffins have a go at porting CRRCSIM to the Pandora, using the glshim approach?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/

I've managed to build it (on the Pandora, took about 30 minutes) with the glshim and glues libs .. but I get a blank screen on startup, and I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm doing .. maybe someone else wants to give it a try, or give me some tips as to how to debug things further?  

FWIW, its an excellent flight simulator for model planes and it would be amazing to have it on Pandora with nub support..

EDIT: I've just discovered that my build gets further if you specific fullscreen on the args .. will continue playing around to see if there is something else I can disable that will produce further results ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Can maybe one of you porting boffins have a go at porting CRRCSIM to the Pandora, using the glshim approach?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/

I've managed to build it (on the Pandora, took about 30 minutes) with the glshim and glues libs .. but I get a blank screen on startup, and I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm doing .. maybe someone else wants to give it a try, or give me some tips as to how to debug things further?  

FWIW, its an excellent flight simulator for model planes and it would be amazing to have it on Pandora with nub support..

EDIT: I've just discovered that my build gets further if you specific fullscreen on the args .. will continue playing around to see if there is something else I can disable that will produce further results ..
Also, use LIBGL_FB=1 in command line.

Also, are you using the glshim inside codeblocks or a fresh compile from lunixbochs or my repo?

Its a fresh compile from lunixbochs' repo - libGLU as well.  

Adding LIBGL_FB=1 WORKS!! :)  I can fly it!  Well, there are some graphical glitches .. want me to pack it up for you to take a look ptitSeb?  Definitely re-assuring .. 

Its a fresh compile from lunixbochs' repo - libGLU as well.  

Adding LIBGL_FB=1 WORKS!! :)  I can fly it!  Well, there are some graphical glitches .. want me to pack it up for you to take a look ptitSeb?  Definitely re-assuring .. 
Nice ! :)

Try both libGL if you have time, and check performances/glitches, both version are quite differents!

How are the perf?

To be honest I have no clue about 'the other libGL' .. what is that?  

Actually this is the second of two projects I've worked on for the OP today - the other one is a port of the MOAI engine, which is .. almost .. finished building, so I'm going to wrap up crrcsim in a place where you can access it (if you want to) and beg you (pretty please) to have a look at it in case you see some things that can be easily tweaked - and if so, I'll make the .pnd and we can push it out there.  But at the moment I'm switching to MOAI because the build is .. almost .. done .. 

;)

So .. 20 minutes later .. Here is the tarball containing crrcsim pre-built, with the resulting crrcsim binary, which I'm providing for debugging purposes so we can smooth things out (without having to re-build it all again if possible):

http://w1xer.at/pandora/crrcsim-0.9.12.openpandora-torpor-build.tar.gz

I built this on the Pandora using CDEVTOOLS .. yeah, I'm insane.  But it was simple, even if it was slow.  So to save you the hassle of doing it, you can just unpack this tarball onto a free filesystem on your Pandora and then run the run_op.sh script .. there are two additional files (apart from what comes with crrcsim) in this tarball:

• run_op.sh - use this to run crrcsim directly from the unpacked directory.
  • compile_pandora_bin.sh - use this to compile a new crrcsim binary.  I had some issues with paths - so I just wrote a final linker cmd into this script to avoid having to go through all the configure/build bollocks again.

EDIT: Here is a very brief demo video:  

https://www.youtube.com/embed/OEC-9Kk1WAg

(wtf, how do I get a video preview embedded in this post?)

You can see the glitches: missing fonts in the GUI menus, a strange vertex at the tip of the model, and tearing over half the screen .. I think these are things that you glshim guys might be interested in (or not), so I'm making it available for you to hack with for now.

If you (or anyone) wants to check it out and try experimenting with the different GL libs, that'd be great .. I'm quite happy to help as well, but I'm going to shift focus for the next few days onto the MOAI engine .. maybe you'll be motivated to dig into it a bit further and we can make a .pnd by the end of the week?  Lets see .. would be great to have this neat flight simulator onboard, its a very fun way to learn to fly model planes and the Pandora is ideal for such a simulation with the nubs ..

Hey, it's working nicely!

So I took my glshim (it's here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/glshim )but it segfaulted... I had a very stupid bug in a not often use part of my code. It's fixed now (and pushed to the repo).

I have perfect rendering (as far as I can tell). Plane has no strange vertex, menus are presents. Look at the screenshot (your binary with my glshim).

post-5182-0-50842400-1424209816.png

About the last point about the tearing, now that you use LBGL_FB=1 (and by the way, that make the PND compatible with all the SGX driver), add a file in the root of the pnd named "powervr.ini" and containing:

[default]
WindowSystem=libpvrPVR2D_FLIPWSEGL.so

crrcsim2.png

Ah, brilliant - thats a great bit of news to wake up to this morning.  I'll start on the Makefile to build the PND with all the bits and bobs you've pointed out .. can't wait to have it out there!  

Back