Port request: Uplink (Split from other thread)

NESnero

I have a request for somebody to port the game "Uplink" to the Pandora, the source code is easily attainable through the developer CD (downloadable!), they also have a Linux demo version of the game which can be downloaded from the Uplink site.

It's a really great game, which i think will be perfect for the pandora.

^ While I agree that it (along with all of Introversion's other games) is excellent, this is a thread for bounties, not requests. If you do want to offer a bounty (this means offering money to whoever ports it), please create a new thread, so that there is somewhere to hold the relevant discussion.

I'll split this one into its own thread, if you guys don't mind. ;)

EDIT: There we go. This thread was originally part of the "Open Bounties" sticky, but the request seems more fitting as its own thread, since it appears that a bounty isn't on offer for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having uplink on the Pandora would be great.

Exactly what content does the license on the developer CD allow you to distribute? I'm assuming that at least all data-files are off-limit.

You can purchase the developer CD, I don't think it is downloadable.

Having uplink on the Pandora would be great.

Exactly what content does the license on the developer CD allow you to distribute? I'm assuming that at least all data-files are off-limit.

You can purchase the developer CD, I don't think it is downloadable.

I just downloaded it actually.

You can download it, just not from, official sites...(torrents) *hides in a bush*

From what i've heard, the developer CD is quite cheap nowadays, and I'm pretty sure ports for another systems have been or are in the works.

You can download it, just not from, official sites...(torrents) *hides in a bush*
Hmm, yes. That's frowned upon around here. Please refrain from advocating piracy.

Any port without a solid legal base cannot and will not be offered through these boards, the wiki or any of the repositories. Angry Birds is a recent example of a ported game which was removed here because it was an illegal port.

Who advocated anything? What's a torrent anyway? I like fishing.

I looked up the uplink site, under their page for the developer CD, it is obvious that ports are fine with them, they even have guides on how to compile for Linux and other things. So I have no doubt about the legality of porting, also the developer CD is available to buy. So in short, everyhting is legal and fine, it all depends on the person willing to buy the CD, or go fishing, in some sort of strong fast moving stream of water. <.< >.>

Edit: http://www.introvers...evelopercd.html

We will have to impose a license on the use of the source code - this won't be Open Source - and we will be charging for that license. This means we will be keeping fairly close control over this release.

That looks like a 'No Fishing' sign to me. ;)

There is also this from the preamble to the licence agreement:

Different platforms and languages are slightly different. If we were to allow a port to a different platform or language, this would potentially exclude us from entering this market. In addition it may put us in violation of any agreements between us and third party developers whom we had paid to generate the new versions. That said if a port is produced for a platform or language that we had not considered or were not currently involved with, then we would be happy to consider licensing the version from the developer for an agreed royalty.

Basically as I read it they are willing to let people port it, but that distribution of said port could then only be done with their permission and on a commercial basis, with them getting their cut. i.e. simply compiling it, PNDing it up and uploading it to the repo (or other method of free distribution) would be a clear breach of the licence.

- Neelix

We will have to impose a license on the use of the source code - this won't be Open Source - and we will be charging for that license. This means we will be keeping fairly close control over this release.

That looks like a 'No Fishing' sign to me. ;)

There is also this from the preamble to the licence agreement:

Different platforms and languages are slightly different. If we were to allow a port to a different platform or language, this would potentially exclude us from entering this market. In addition it may put us in violation of any agreements between us and third party developers whom we had paid to generate the new versions. That said if a port is produced for a platform or language that we had not considered or were not currently involved with, then we would be happy to consider licensing the version from the developer for an agreed royalty.

Basically as I read it they are willing to let people port it, but that distribution of said port could then only be done with their permission and on a commercial basis, with them getting their cut. i.e. simply compiling it, PNDing it up and uploading it to the repo (or other method of free distribution) would be a clear breach of the licence.

- Neelix

Although I'm pretty sure they would be okay with a PND that requires the original data files to be placed in appdata

Although I'm pretty sure they would be okay with a PND that requires the original data files to be placed in appdata
I don't think that Introversion Software would have any problems with that. However, it is for them to state that and not for us to guess. From the looks of it, they might even support a commercial release with the data files included.

You'll just have to give it to me, I suppose.
If you are insinuating what I think you are, then stop it.

I don't think that Introversion Software would have any problems with that. However, it is for them to state that and not for us to guess. From the looks of it, they might even support a commercial release with the data files included.

Yeah! Lets do that! Infact, i'll ask them right now about whether thats ok.

Edit: Welp, I just sent them a good ol' email, detailing the situation and asking about whether the above would be fine.

Hmm, yes. That's frowned upon around here. Please refrain from advocating piracy.

Is it? Speak for yourself, please. I was under the impression that although links to copyrighted material being offered by board members in the public forums was a definite no-no, the act of piracy itself has been promoted quite a lot by people such as myself, which I shall continue to do. Mostly because it pisses off people like you, who like to speak for everyone else.

Any port without a solid legal base cannot and will not be offered through these boards, the wiki or any of the repositories. Angry Birds is a recent example of a ported game which was removed here because it was an illegal port.

Yes, I've been passing out links to it via PM and IRC just lately. There do seem to be a great many Pandora owners who are just fine with the idea of promoting piracy :)

D.

Mostly because it pisses off people like you, who like to speak for everyone else.
I don't give a damn if you pirate stuff. I know that there are several developers around here (you know, the people giving you free software) who agree with me. I am just as aware that not everyone agrees with it and I have no intention to speak for them. I tend to generalize a bit when I try to make a point, sue me.

I have two main concerns in my head when I take the stance that I do.

First, since one of the major applications of the Pandora is emulation, it is not difficult to link the Pandora to illegal roms, should you want to attack the project. As long as the official boards do not openly participate in the spreading of such stuff, this can not be linked to the team. I.e. keeping these boards clean will protect the Pandora from legal action.

Second, I still have hopes that the Pandora might someday become a viable platform for commercial software. I'm not expecting any support from the big software houses, but indie developers might take an interest if the userbase grows large enough. If a significant portion of the community openly admits to pirating software then that is a large deterrent to port such software as it decreases the likelihood of sales.

Yes, I've been passing out links to it via PM and IRC just lately. There do seem to be a great many Pandora owners who are just fine with the idea of promoting piracy :)
What you do via PM is your concern as it can not be directly linked to the team. So feel free to share it in any way you want, but if you want to do this openly on these boards then expect the mods to step in.

Because the same Company made it, I would be more interested to play DARWINIA on the Pandora, and I bet I'm not the only one. :)

I have religiously bought every single game that's been out of the Introversion stable, so would love to be able to run them on the Panda. Uplink would be a nice start, but yes - Darwinia is possibly their crowning achievement.

D.

I just got a reply from someone about Uplink legality.

He says its perfectly fine to port, as long as the users require original Uplink game files to play.

So, now someone just has to get the ol' developer CD and port awaaaaaaaaay!

Back