Post Your Probably Unreasonable Assembly Questions

senorgomez

DISCLAIMER: I don't seriously expect OP team to respond to these questions, and more importantly I don't want any OP team members to get angry at the questions posted. I don't want angry people assembling my Pandora :ph34r: This is a part inquiry part theorycraft thread about assembly and what possibly can be done. What is an actually possible is known only known to the OP team.

So, assembly has begun and it is a learning process. But how will it continue? ED, Fatih, and MWeston all have real lives to fly back to, I think they are already back in their respective countries. As far as we know, this leaves a twitching craigix assembling pandoras 24 hours a day. I think ED mentioned there might be 8 people going fulltime, but are these just unpaid pandora fans?

Also I wouldn't mind knowing who will be working on the assembly line. This initial push was done mostly by developers, but a few fans have spent a day on the job. I think the few QC issues we have heard might be due to the general inexperience of some on the assembly line, like missing light-pipes. Then again, they might be pro by the time they get to my 2000 unit. But if they keep having fans work for just one day, and that is the manpower behind assembly, then that learned experience is lost.

Lastly everyone who is on the assembly line should be forced to eat carrots. I heard that improves eyesight and will be beneficial when welding those small nubs.

I have 3 people ready to work full time from this week.

You might think this is a strange thing to do, but it's actually a great thing to do, an assembly company would mess up the Pandora and cause delays, they would also charge about $30 per Pandora.

The more control we have the more we can improve and speed things up.

If I had my way we would be doing everything on site.

Im just happy Q.C has gotten better.The assembly bits done at factory should mean we get pandoras quicker without
losing quality.

The most important thing for Michael, Fatih, Craig and me being together at the beginning was to check everything, find out what problems, etc. can occur and what to especially check after / while assembly.
This is why QC and assembly improved a LOT after the first units - we adopted the assembly and testing to each problem found.

Now we made a list, Craig can train the new guys (a fixed team) to properly build it - and he will do the QC at the end.

I have two:
Has the second shipment of boards arrived yet?
Is there an estimated date for the arrival of the next shipment of cases? They are already producing them, i hope...?

Kicker said:
fusion_power said:
craigix said:
I have 3 people ready to work full time from this week.
Good people? :)

Top. Men.
:lol:

EvilDragon said:
The most important thing for Michael, Fatih, Craig and me being together at the beginning was to check everything, find out what problems, etc. can occur and what to especially check after / while assembly.
This is why QC and assembly improved a LOT after the first units - we adopted the assembly and testing to each problem found.

Now we made a list, Craig can train the new guys (a fixed team) to properly build it - and he will do the QC at the end.
Will the next 9000 cases get a FITTING lid that has no gap between top and bottom case? I always get nightmares from gaps, slope hanging Pictures and leaking Water taps. :D
Oh, and where is the ED-Craigix-Fatih-MWeston group Photo? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really didn't expect the OP team to respond, but I should have known better. Seems they will speak to the community even when we ask probably unreasonable questions. Thanks!

Will the next 9000 cases get a FITTING lid that has no gap between top and bottom case? I always get nightmares from gaps, slope hanging Pictures and leaking Water taps.

No one of the few design flaws
spring only on one side (and i really cant see them changing that)

im not worried about these things (sure it would be nice)
maybe a home fix will be made, put some tension on the otherside (or how about a thin magnet, dont come complaining when you sd cards are rendered useless)

emcp said:
Will the next 9000 cases get a FITTING lid that has no gap between top and bottom case? I always get nightmares from gaps, slope hanging Pictures and leaking Water taps.

No one of the few design flaws
spring only on one side (and i really cant see them changing that)

im not worried about these things (sure it would be nice)
maybe a home fix will be made, put some tension on the otherside (or how about a thin magnet, dont come complaining when you sd cards are rendered useless)
DaveC designed the Case. he explained that it's not a design flaw but a shrinking issue during injection moulding the cases and this way the chinese Case factory should be able to fix this little problem. ;)

Yep just read his reply myself

im pretty sure either craig or ed, said that, well not exactly they said it was caused due to the hinge being on only one side, so it sounded like a design flaw
my bad

:blush:

emcp said:
Yep just read his reply myself

im pretty sure either craig or ed, said that, well not exactly they said it was caused due to the hinge being on only one side, so it sounded like a design flaw
my bad

:blush:
Even though the spring is only on one side that wouldn't matter if the lid was perfectly straight. BTW the spring can only be on one side because the LCD cable has to go through a hole on the other side. That isn't a "flaw" it is a necesity.

Also looking at my prototype and holding a straight-edge to the case and lid it appears that the lid is slightly bowed but so is the bottom base on that side too. That looks like a mold issue to me. The case factory would have to change something in the mold and/or process to prevent the slight warp.

quadomatic said:
DaveC said:
That looks like a mold issue to me. The case factory would have to change something in the mold and/or process to prevent the slight warp.

How long would it take to do that?
Indeed and is it important enough to fix?

hedwards said:
quadomatic said:
DaveC said:
That looks like a mold issue to me. The case factory would have to change something in the mold and/or process to prevent the slight warp.

How long would it take to do that?
Indeed and is it important enough to fix?

Hmm. So to be sure, is the screen warp visible before assembly? Or does the screen bend appear after its been screwed/snapped into place?

Back