Postal Source Code

LuSimon

I remeber a few months ago petit seb was very keen on porting postal 1 to the pandora, and RWS ended up not releasing the source code anytime soon, I've asked them recetly about the source code on their new trailer of POSTAL REDUX
and they said the following:

Rolho Bodo 2 days ago
Now that Postal Redux is just coming out in a few days, could you guys from RWS release the source code of the original Postal? I mean wouldnt it be amazing to have Postal runninng on a toaster? or even better... Running on a scissor? :D

Running With Scissors 2 days ago
+Rolho Bodo Totally, not sure when but we've been meaning to arrange this for a while now.

I'll keep an open eye to when they do release it. Btw their remake of Postal 1 looks awesome.

This game blew me away when I first tried it.
1396137637791.jpg

May more people be blown away.

Hi all :)

I never played these games before, so that would be a great opportunity indeed !

@LuSimon : we're only talking about Postal 1 (the isometric title), right ? Is there any plans regarding the 3D sequel ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I never played these games before, so that would be a great opportunity indeed !

@LuSimon : we're only talking about Postal 1 (the isometric title), right ? Is there any plans regarding the 3D sequel ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi Magic Sam, it would indeed be absolutelly superb if they released the source code of POSTAL 2 (it's a fucking masterpiece one of my favourite pc games of all time) but unfortunetly they dont have any plans to release it anytime soon even if they did, the game runs on the Unreal engine 2.0 and as far as I know even "Epic Games" dont have any plans to make their engine open source...

And yes we're onlly talking about the original Postal it's game engine was made from the ground up by Running With Scissors themselves, quite an impressive fit for an indie team of about 15 people in 1997 to make their own handcrafted game engine for such a polemic game. But the engine is still very solid and even allows for Twin Stick controlls, very cool.

By the way please do play their games, you wont regret it! I guarantee that to you!
Specially in Postal 2 you'll have plenty of fun, the game never get's old and the devolopers still support it after so many years, there are so many details and secrets in that game that is hard to describe in a coherent sentence, just know that you'll get a tremendous bang for your buck and lot's of well spent hours with no gimmicks, Postal games are a tremendous escape to relieve some anger in a healthy way.

I'll totally get Postal Redux as soon as it gets released on gog.com

Last edited:

@LuSimon : I'm about to buy Postal 1 on GOG.com. What would be the best way to play that game nowadays on GNU/Linux x86_64 ?

Is the Linux port by Loki still around, somewhere ?

@ptitSeb : I really hope you'll be able to play with the sources soon !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Hi :)
RWS already directly ported 1 & 2 to Linux, there's no need for that old Loki version.
The problem is that GOG doesn't ship the Linux port with their Postal distribution (I just bought it btw). Any idea where I could find it ? I have already tried the archived Loki Games web page and icculus.org, but to no avail. Maybe I should ask RWS directly ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

The problem is that GOG doesn't ship the Linux port with their Postal distribution (I just bought it btw). Any idea where I could find it ? I have already tried the archived Loki Games web page and icculus.org, but to no avail. Maybe I should ask RWS directly ?
Yes please, we need more people asking them about the Linux ports on GOG, I didn't even know that there are Linux ports of it.
PlayOnLinux has a configuration for GOG's installer of Postal 2 btw but native would be much better.

Any reason why this is in the Pyra specific section?, Postal 1 would most likely play fine on the Pandora if ever open sourced.

Hell yeah!!!

[doublepost=1464197850,1464197402][/doublepost]
Hi all !

@ptitSeb : /me raises his hand frantically to be part of the beta test (I bought the game at GOG some time ago) ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam
Personally I think your version of the game might not work because the latest version of Postal 1 runs native on windows (no Dosbox) and on steam it was updated to work with Xbox 360 controller, it has twin stick controlls and supports widescreen. In case the source code that petitseb has the newt features of the last update then you might run into trouble with getting the game to run on pandora but you might get it working.

As far as I know that update isnt yet avaible in the version destributed at gog.com, but I might be wrong, and you wont have any trouble at all.

There are indeed quite a lot of version. I can compile other version the the "Postal_2015" but I still need to now wich one to launch.

@Magic Sam : once you install your version, in the Postal folder, you should see a .INI file. I need to now it's name (and I will try to deduct the version from that). On the Steam version it's POSTAL.INI (all caps yes).

Personally I think your version of the game might not work because the latest version of Postal 1 runs native on windows (no Dosbox) and on steam it was updated to work with Xbox 360 controller, it has twin stick controlls and supports widescreen. In case the source code that petitseb has the newt features of the last update then you might run into trouble with getting the game to run on pandora but you might get it working.
Such new features and porting effort shouldn't have any influence on the actual data, though. Games usually keep their code and data entirely separated, as long as there is no new content it shouldn't matter which version you use for the data part - at least theoretically.

@ptitSeb : I'll give you that piece of information ASAP !

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1464257265,1464246533][/doublepost]@ptitSeb : here you go :)

Postal Plus.ini

And its contents:

; Postal Plus
; NOTE: Be careful when modifying this file!
[Video]
EditorViewHeight=480
EditorViewWidth=640
GameFilmScale=1.000000
Type=DirectX
GammaVal=155
UseCurrentDeviceDimensions=0
[Audio]
Type=WINMM
DeviceBufTime=300
DeviceRate=22050
DeviceBits=16