Potential new Pyra competitor ;)

I suspect it's just a render and doubt anything will come of it. It was a link from a site talking about the new Vega+ (proper mobile handheld Speccy).

Haven't they learned from their flat keys mistake since the ZX81.

This is a tongue in cheek thread ekianjo (hence the ;) smiley in the thread title) - it's a ZX Spectrum (sort of!). Not going to compete with anything other than perhaps a calculator at best, even if real. :p

from the image seems like the physical buttons are inside the LCD, but as fare as I know, Nintendo already registered something similar

Someone needs to clone Sir Clive and bring him back... just because.
He is not forgotten:

vegaplus.jpg

Mobile Spectrum Vega+ could be your constant retro companion

The ´expansion´ top part on the original image is strange, better get the lcd to cover the top part.
Looks neat.

Not sure if you're suggesting he's passed away but in case you are, the old guy is still with us.
My god your right he is! I distinctly remember reading about his death though, how odd.
Perhaps there was a fake story of his death- the internet likes to tell porkies sometimes. Or shudder... I imagined the whole thing.

I'm glad he's still alive though and may he live for many years to come, one day all our heroes will be dead.

On a second look,I still can´t cope with that empty top part.
After playing a lurking with the keyboard threads, it feels the Pyra keyboard is now a work of art and tears and any other handheld with a keyboard does feel to me like a pathetic solution in comparison.
Heck, that keyboard looks like those that comes in wannabe laptops for kids...
A computer keyboard without numbers...that must be the smartest solution ever.

A computer keyboard without numbers...that must be the smartest solution ever.

The keyboard is ON the LCD screen; numbers and symbols will be accessed via a different on-screen keyboard (much like Android etc). Look at all the screenshots for more info.

That design at the top of this page is a render on Rick Dickinson's flickr account. I don't know, but I suspect that's the same Rick Dickinson who designed the case of the ZX Spectrum and the Vega plus, amongst other devices. It's also a year old, so I guess it predates the Vega plus design.

If that keyboard is intended to be displayed on the LCD, that's a very peculiar shaped LCD that would probably need to be especially commissioned. Instead they've gone for a simpler design with a rectangular LCD and conventional push buttons. That posted flickr image is a pipedream, something to kick-start people thinking about a new device, and the outcome of that was the Vega plus.

The keyboard is ON the LCD screen; numbers and symbols will be accessed via a different on-screen keyboard (much like Android etc). Look at all the screenshots for more info.

well this sounds like the shitty osd keyboards we know from android / ios devices. Full Keyboards ftw

If that keyboard is intended to be displayed on the LCD, that's a very peculiar shaped LCD that would probably need to be especially commissioned.

I suspect that the LCD itslef is under a glass/plastic layer. Well, if it were real and made exactly like that. You can see in the render that the actual LCD is rectangular rather than the odd shape it appears in that first shot.

It's an interesting design - not saying it's anything I would buy or anything, but aeshthetically it's certainly different - much like his other designs including the Spectrum etc.

Back