Power adaptor

MojoJojo

I thought I would need a 3v negative DC adaptor for my GP32 which is arriving on Monday. Looking at one of the links for newbies, it says that they don't all work though. What exact specifications does the power adaptor need, and what type of plug does it take?

Planning to get one tomorrow.

Well, I love the unit I got at Radio Shack - there's a section about it in my GP32 FLU review. It's a great combo unit that also charges rechargeable batteries and can be used as a portable power pack. If you get a Radio Shack adapter of any sort you want the type A plug, and have "-" (negative) aligned with "Tip."

I saw that, and that would be the idea thing for me to get. Im in the UK though, and the radioshack.co.uk site doesn't seem to have those (although it's hard to tell, the site is terrible). From the pictures it looks like the power connector is almost like a microphone jack. Is its proper name a type A plug?

Well, I haven't tried using an adapter on my GP32 yet, nor have I looked at it, and I know some of this info might be useless to those who have posted so far but it might be useful to others so here goes: obviously the voltage is 3 volts (2x 1.5), that's easy. Getting a and end thingy for an AC/DC adapter (the interchangable part on the end that you should have) can either be done by bringing the unit into your local electronics store or by buying an pre-bundled assortment of tips and hoping for the best (and at the very least, they're useful for other consoles). The polarity for most handhelds I seem to remember is negative, but a few are negative - I remember the original GB and the atari lynx being completely different. There seems to be a standard in such devices to put a little diagram on the back which shows a + and a - connected by a line and a semi-circle. The open face of the circle faces the same direction as the polarity...eg, if the right side is open, that usually means it's positive (the + is on the right). Just for future handheld reference :)

This was posted in this forum a couple of months ago.

User: Corellian Corvette
Date: Apr 28 2003, 08:53 PM

Hey everyone - saw some discussion on AC adapters for GP32.

Went to Radio Shack and got one for $13.99. They have a wall of generic adapters, and you are allowed one custom plug for free.

The part number you need is 273-1755 3V AC Adapater, 500mA
The plug you need is the Type A plug.

You will put the plug in with the (-) alligned with (tip) to get the correct polarity.

I printed that out, took it to Radio Shack (US), handed it to the guy behind the counter, and indeed made it home with an adapted that works perfectly with my gp32.

Thanks guys. I went to maplin yesterday nd got the cheapest adaptor they had at £7. Selectable voltage, safe for currents up to 300mAmps (I think), came with 6 tips - 4 hollow, 2 jack style. Hopefully one of them should work! I'll try it out when I get my GP tomorrow - hopefully.

Got my GamePark this morning. None of the plugs I have work, which is a pain. Good job I've got some batteries, which should last till I get down to maplin again.

BTW Craig, if you read this ... you should put a link to the power adaptor you sell by the Game Park stuff on your page (assuming it works with the GamePark) ... I would of bought one off with my GamePark if I realised you did them.

I live in the Uk and recommend a Uniross 1200R Mains Adaptor. Comes with 7 heads, goes from 1.5v to 12v and is 1200ma Max.
Works like a charm! Used to use it on me Canadian Portable CD.

Back