GP2X Prebuilt Gcc 4 Toolchain For Gp2x?

nakeda

Still Fresh
Is there a prebuilt GCC 4-based toolchain available for download?

I've tried building from source using the newtoolchain script from oopo.net and many other different variations, but always have problems building glibc. I think the problem has something to do with my host machine being FreeBSD rather than linux, but I'm finding the gcc build process pretty hard to debug.

I'm able to run the prebuilt toolchain hosted on ftp.gp32spain.com (arm-tools.tar.gz, etc) with no problems at all using Linux emulation under FreeBSD, but it's gcc 2.95 so a bit old and slow.

If someone could upload a prebuilt gp2x development tree (GCC4 based - like the one the oopo.net script builds) I would be VERY grateful !

critical posted on Feb 11 2006 at 11:46 AM said:
nakeda posted on Feb 11 2006 at 12:27 PM said:
Is there a prebuilt GCC 4-based toolchain available for download?

If someone could upload a prebuilt gp2x development tree (GCC4 based - like the one the oopo.net script builds) I would be VERY grateful !
Read this here:

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_dev...ent_%28Linux%29

Unless I am missing something, that page gives info on either building your own tools from source, or downloading the prebuilt gcc 2.95 toolchain.

What I'm looking for is a prebuilt gcc 4 toolchain.

Last edited by a moderator:
nakeda posted on Feb 11 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
that would have to be built for your platform (freebsd, as it seems). I sent a patch to ooPo to make his toolchain work on solaris (ie. remove gnuisms) - that might help you on freebsd, too.

he said he wanted to merge it this weekend, so maybe you can try the next release.

Unless I am missing something, that page gives info on either building your own tools from source, or downloading the prebuilt gcc 2.95 toolchain.

Apologies - I assumed that a similar package was available for Linux as there was for Windows. Which, as you state, and was the point of your question, is wrong.

oxygene posted on Feb 11 2006 at 12:28 PM said:
that would have to be built for your platform (freebsd, as it seems). I sent a patch to ooPo to make his toolchain work on solaris (ie. remove gnuisms) - that might help you on freebsd, too.

he said he wanted to merge it this weekend, so maybe you can try the next release.

Well, I'll give it a go as a last resort, but ideally I'm looking to just install a tree that someone else has already built. As I mentioned FreeBSD can run the i386 linux binaries no problems, and I would rather use my time coding for the GP2X than spending more hours trying to get the toolchain working natively on my platform.

Here. It's not prebuilt, but if you're using FreeBSD you should be used to waiting for things to compile by now. I haven't tested it myself, but I'm going to be installing it on my laptop today, and I'm also running FreeBSD (6.1-PRERELEASE, in case you're wondering.) I'm expecting no trouble but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Ravnos posted on Feb 11 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Here. It's not prebuilt, but if you're using FreeBSD you should be used to waiting for things to compile by now. I haven't tested it myself, but I'm going to be installing it on my laptop today, and I'm also running FreeBSD (6.1-PRERELEASE, in case you're wondering.) I'm expecting no trouble but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

That thread seems to be discussing the build script from oopo.net, which as I mentioned unfortunately doesn't work under FreeBSD 6 (problems building glibc).

I have spent time trying to understand why it doesn't work and getting it to jump the hurdles, but after several days of frustration I've had enough. I would be quite content just to copy the binaries into place and move on.

I've added oxygene's work to the script and I'm doing a test build right now. Chances are it'll be up on my site (http://www.oopo.net/consoldev) in an hour or so.

ooPo posted on Feb 11 2006 at 05:42 PM said:
I've added oxygene's work to the script and I'm doing a test build right now. Chances are it'll be up on my site (http://www.oopo.net/consoldev) in an hour or so.

Thanks, I've given it a try but it's still failing at the same part (the build of libc).

How would you feel about making available the linux binaries that your built script generates? Just the base compiler, libs and includes would be enough to build the rest of the libs (SDL, etc).

I don't usually like hosting large files as the bandwidth quickly adds up. Also, not being able to build the toolchain may point to a problem with your setup that may affect your development in odd and frustrating ways even if the binaries were handed to you.

That said, try grabbing this:

http://home.oopo.net/~peori/newtoolchain-c...0060211.tar.bz2

I'd like to see the logfile.txt for when you tried to compile, however... maybe we can fix the problem.

ooPo posted on Feb 12 2006 at 02:18 AM said:
I don't usually like hosting large files as the bandwidth quickly adds up. Also, not being able to build the toolchain may point to a problem with your setup that may affect your development in odd and frustrating ways even if the binaries were handed to you.

That said, try grabbing this:

http://home.oopo.net/~peori/newtoolchain-c...0060211.tar.bz2

I'd like to see the logfile.txt for when you tried to compile, however... maybe we can fix the problem.

Fantastic, thank you very much! Works like a charm.

Regarding the bandwidth issue, is there any reason not to put it on archive.gp2x.de? Failing that I'd be happy to host if it would be useful to others.

BTW Here's my logfile.txt as requested - http://darq.net/~kaneda/logfile.txt.gz
I can get it to build further by hacking around with it (up to the 2nd build of glibc), but not easily.

Hey ooPo, I just throught I'd let you know that I've come across one very minor problem with your precompiled toolchain. (Well, not that minor, it won't compile, but it's probably an easy fix.) For some reason SDL_mixer is looking for the file /home/peori/Coding/temp/newtoolchain/temp/SDL_MIXER-1.2.6/music.c. I'm assuming this is your home directory on your machine, because there's no user named peori on mine. :)

Ravnos posted on Feb 12 2006 at 10:12 PM said:
Hey ooPo, I just throught I'd let you know that I've come across one very minor problem with your precompiled toolchain. (Well, not that minor, it won't compile, but it's probably an easy fix.) For some reason SDL_mixer is looking for the file /home/peori/Coding/temp/newtoolchain/temp/SDL_MIXER-1.2.6/music.c. I'm assuming this is your home directory on your machine, because there's no user named peori on mine. :)

You just need to link against the extra SDL libs to resolve those symbols. If you link with "-lSDL_mixer -lvorbisidec -lmikmod -lsmpeg -lSDL -lm" you should be set.

I had those in my linker options already. I'm using Codeblocks right now, and under "Other linker options" I have
-static -lSDL_mixer -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_image -mikmok -lvorbisidec -lsmpeg -lfreetype -ljpeg -lpng12 -lz -lm -lSDL -lpthread

If I remove all the SDL_mixer related functions and includes it compiles fine. This is really the only error I'm getting right now.

...and this is why I make it a point to not provide precompiled toolchains.

I've removed it.

Ravnos posted on Feb 12 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
I had those in my linker options already. I'm using Codeblocks right now, and under "Other linker options" I have
-static -lSDL_mixer -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_image -mikmok -lvorbisidec -lsmpeg -lfreetype -ljpeg -lpng12 -lz -lm -lSDL -lpthread

If I remove all the SDL_mixer related functions and includes it compiles fine. This is really the only error I'm getting right now.

I had the same message as you mentioned, but it went away once I linked with SDL_mixer, etc...

I don't know Codeblocks (an IDE?) -- I would try compiling from the shell first using gcc directly. I have SDL running with audio using these binaries on FreeBSD 6, so they should work for you too.

That didn't fix it. It keeps saying there's an undefined reference to various functions in 'music.c', which is a file that doesn't exist on my computer. I updated the locatedb and checked with that, I went into the same directory it was looking for on my computer, but nothing. A red herring perhaps?

Back