Preparing for Germany (2011-08-26)

thatgui

Advanced Member
A lot of important things have happened behind the curtains, I'll try to summarize everything up here, though it might not be easy. I hope I can make myself clear and won't forget anything.

One thing upfront:
I saw some posts that asked if Craig simply ignores the Pandora right now, as you don't read any Pandora news from him.
Craig is still in the team, of course.
However, all he can do right now is wait for CC to produce and ship the boards. Well, and to take care about possible legal actions...

I am mainly the one working on continuing the production in Germany, of course with a lot of help by Michael and Fatih.

Craig uses most of his time to take care about the iControlPad, while I am fully working on the Pandora right now.
I never was the smartphone gamer, but I love OpenSource stuff, so I'm happy to mostly work on the Pandora and not on the iCP :)

This is just a quick information at the beginning of my post.

Creating a business plan

You all know that we're currently working on moving the production to Germany.
This is a very important step and therefore needs to be done very carefully.
We have no idea how fast and how many finished boards CC can provide us in the near future.
So for my business plan, I am currently assuming the worst case scenario: Not a single board from CC anymore.
That's highly unlikely, but better be safe than sorry.

In case someone doesn't know exactly what a business plan is:
It's basically a document you create, that includes a detailed plan of the total costs needed, any plans for production, how you plan to make profits, what issues there are left, what needs to be done, etc.
This is absolutely essential if you try to get a bank loan or an investor, as they use the business plan to calculate their risks.

I'm about 90% finished with that, I just need a few more quotations, including the most important one: The PCB production. I'll get that one probably within the next days.

So... what IS the plan?

Well, of course: Produce Pandoras ;)
That's the simple version.

It's much more complex though. Moving the production costs money. Thanks to the production issues, we lost an awful lot of money as well.
The goal of the plan is, to find out how much money is needed to start the production and how many Pandoras need to be sold to make sure the production will continue and we can deliver the remaining preorders as well.

Altogether, there are 1200 preorders left (500 from me, 800 from Craig). This includes ALL preorders. Also the ones from Batch 2.
While the plan is not yet finished, it looks like with 3000 units produced, we'll be able to fulfill all the remaining preorders AND have enough money left to continue the production.
Right now, it looks like about 250.000 EUR is needed to get everything rolling.

This actually sounds like a lot of money, but for such a production, it is not that much. And with 3000 units produced, the money can be paid back and everyone of you would have his Pandora!
After that, profit starts.

This is, as said, the worst case scenario. Every PCB delivered by CC will make things better.

Where to get that money?
I've got plans for that as well. Investors would be possible, I'll also try getting a loan.
With a carefully thought business plan that shows that the loan could be paid back within a reasonable timeframe, this shouldn't be a big issue.

I'd still love to get notch as investor. He was one of the very first preorderers of the Pandora, he seems like a nice chap AND he really supports indie stuff.
I was in contact with him early this year and he was interested, however, I never got a reply from him since then.
I guess he's just swamped with his normal eMail address, so he probably missed mine.
If anyones in good contact with him, please let him know I'm trying to contact him. It would really rock if he would support us - and it would make things so much easier!

BTW: Global Components (they will most probably produce the PCBs) are also interested in investing. That would also be great :)

Preorders... again? :eek:

Yes, there will probably be another preorder round.
However, with ONE significant difference: NO money has to be paid upfront!

What use is this, you might ask?

Easy. Imagine you are looking for investors. Or you are trying to get a loan from the bank.
Of course they are careful and will ask you: Are you sure anyone will buy that thing?
Then you'll take out a big list with a lot of people who preordered already... and you win.
That way, getting money will be WAY more easy!

I'll inform you when that preordering starts - and then you can tell anyone who always wanted to buy a Pandora but didn't want to pay before it's available to go and preorder!
But please don't order another one there if you're not interested in actually buying it later. It would just lead to problems.

It will be exciting to see how much interest there is. But based on the daily "I want to order a Pandora"-mails I get, there should be quite a few orders.
I also know some of you told me you'd want to get a few more units once they are available without prepayment.

If this will be a success, getting a loan will be easy and production can continue! :)

What... a new CPU? What the fuck is this talk about?

This actually is one thing I'm currently thinking about a lot.
Some of you know about the BeagleBoard xM. It basically features the same SoC as the Beagleboard (or the Pandora), just with 1GHz standard clock, a faster RAM bus and a more recent 3D GPU.
As years have passed since we designed the Pandora, this faster SoC shouldn't cost much more than the old OMAP one.
According to TI, it's also easier to get.

As it is compatible, we can simply put it onto the new PCBs. It would be compatible with our OS, so all Pandora stuff would work on both units.
The new one simply would run a bit faster but would be completel compatbie.
OS and programs would be the same.

There are a few reasons that speak for that SoC:

* Wouldn't affect price
* Would make the Pandora more attractive
* Compatible, faster speed
* Preorderers who are still waiting would receive that one as bonus as well!

Of course - it could annoy the ones who already have a Pandora.
So what to do?
It's not easy.

Well, I don't know if the price will be the same as for the OMAP anyways. Maybe it's not worth it.
But if it IS worth it, I need to know what to do.

I'll make a poll about that tomorrow, please help me decide then!

On a sidenote, we might use a different paint on the case as well. Granite black metallic.
You might remember the blue metallic one Fatih showed us. He's been using it for six months yet.
The paint looks better (still looks like it is brand new) and as the paint is a bit thicker, the display stays open in every position.

Conclusion

Well, there's still a lot of work for me to get things started.
Things are looking good though. There are no debts except for the preorders, so as long as you will support me, I'll continue to work on the Pandora as mch as I can! That's a promise!

Nothing is carved in stone yet, I'm still checking out different options, but I'm getting there.
I hope I could give you a basic idea of what I'm planning to achieve.

If not, just ask, I'll try to answer it :)

Of course, you'll be the first to know once some stuff is fixed and done :)

Quelle

Mein Versuch einer Übersetzung/Interpretation wird wie immer präsentiert von pandora-blog.de "Wenns nicht immer die neuesten Neuigkeiten sein müssen"

das kling ja schon mal nciht schlecht. ich hoffe nur dass nciht das schlimmste szenario eintrifft >.<

wenn man jetzt so grobe schätzungen macht, wann würde denn die auslieferung von batch 2 in etwa beginnen? kann man mit februar rechnen?

hmm, kamm mal bitte einer das von mweston übersetzen, das was ich lesen kann klingt nicht vielversprechend

Ich sehe es schon kommen, ich kriege die letzte 600MHz-Pandora und auf der Metallic-Pandora läuft dann der Dreamcast-Emu auf einem spielbaren Geschwindigkeitsniveau. Einerseits käme ich mir ein wenig verarscht vor, andererseits hätte ich aber immer noch das bekommen, wofür ich einst bezahlt habe. Nur "die anderen" hätten den besseren Prozessor. Gäb's den als bezahlbares Upgrade wäre das natürlich nochmal was anderes.

Johnson r. said:
hmm, kamm mal bitte einer das von mweston übersetzen, das was ich lesen kann klingt nicht vielversprechend

Michael schreibt, dass er und Craig bereits CPUs bis in Batch 3 hinein gekauft und bezahlt haben.
Bevor die nicht verbaut sind, wird es demnach keine GHz- Pandora geben.

Ich weiss nicht ob es so clever ist, stattdessen direkt ueber ein Speicherupgrade zu spekulieren - umso enttaeuschter werden manche sein, wenn daraus nichts wird - oder (fast) schlimmer: nur gegen Aufpreis.

die Neuigkeiten von ED hören sich doch geil an! Ein Hardware update wäre einfach klasse und ein Unterschied von 400 MHz + schnelleren RAM macht sicher ziemlich viel aus. ; D Wer weiß, wie viel man aus der CPU mit übertakten noch raus holen kann. Ich werde mir gleich eine Vorbestellen, sobald diese Option wieder verfügbar ist! yippi : )
Ich sehe es schon kommen, ich kriege die letzte 600MHz-Pandora und auf der Metallic-Pandora läuft dann der Dreamcast-Emu auf einem spielbaren Geschwindigkeitsniveau.
falls du noch eine mit einem 600 MHz CPU erwischst, wirst du sie auf jeden Fall (wegen der geringen Verfügbarkeit) schnell über e-bay los. Es gibt viele, die nicht mehr warten wollen. Dann bestellst du einfach eine neue und wartest xD

Das Hardware Update mag zwar ärgerlich für diejenigen sein, die bereits eine Pandora haben, aber dafür haben sie schon eine!!!! und wie gesagt, wenn jemand unzufrieden damit ist, kann er seine alte verkaufen, eine neue bestellen..... und warten : p

Aus wirtschaftlicher Sicht erhöht ein Hardware Update natürlich die Attraktivität für potenzielle Käufer! 1GHz macht sich einfach besser als 600MHz

Ich bin für eine Abstimmung, aber auch im deutschen Forum und über einen angemessenen Zeitraum hinweg, damit jeder die Möglichkeit hat, seine Meinung kund zu tun

@stardroid:

forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12707&start=45

den vorletzten post auf der seite durchlesen, das mit dem 1ghz prozessor ist schon wieder vom tisch.

Ich würde es Toll finden wenn es gleich mit mehr Tackt und Ram produziert wird.

Ich hatte sehr viel erlebt das letzte halbe Jahr und habe jetzt kaum Zeit um mit der p&|a was zu machen aber
im Winter kann sich natürlich alles ändern wenn die Nächte länger werden. Wenn ich dann 2012 die p&|a bekommen
sollte mit dem alten Tackt, das wäre das für mich ein Grund gewesen ab zu bestellen.

Ich brauche die p&|a zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch nicht (keine Zeit) aber ich unterstütze gerne das Projekt ^_^ ^_^
und wenn die Hardware der Zeit angepasst wird bleibt sie für mich atraktiv und ich werde weiterhin fiebern bis ich meine habe.

und das mit der Vorbestellung ohne Vorauskasse wird für manche Freunde von mir sehr atraktiv ;)

Grus

Alien

[mein Senf]
Ich hab ne 1st Batch Pandora mit 600 MHz und finds cool, dass die neuen Pandoras mit mehr RAM und Takt rauskommen. Dann ist meine Pandora nicht nur 1st Batch weils drauf steht, sondern auch weils drin ist ;)
Ein echtes Sammlerstück eben.

[/mein Senf]

und da fällt mir auch das manche leute einfach posts überlesen, die mehr power pandi ist vom tisch, vorerst

Johnson r. said:
und da fällt mir auch das manche leute einfach posts überlesen, die mehr power pandi ist vom tisch, vorerst
Man liest gerne was man lesen möchte.

Vielleicht sollten die Mods kurz in den ersten Posts einen grossen roten Hinweis anbringen das es diese Art upgrade nicht geben wird weil tausende CPUs bereits gekauft auf Lager liegen und erst verarbeitet werden müssen.

Mit etwas Glück verhindert man so weitere Missverständnisse.

Mit noch etwas mehr Glück verkauft TI vielleicht den jetzigen Chip zu einem Spotpreis bei einer Lagerräumung wenn das OPT Lager alle ist, dann wird es noch weitere Pandoras mit der bewährten CPU geben.

Jetzt wo ED unter anderem Namen als Anwalt agiert könnte er sich doch da raus boxen...........
http://www.mrwaf.de/?id=25

*duckundwech*

kaiser-sahin said:
Jetzt wo ED unter anderem Namen als Anwalt agiert könnte er sich doch da raus boxen...........

*duckundwech*

? Muss ich das kapieren?

ha ha ha das ist echt witzig xD

lol man könnte im Scherz behaupten, dass ED sich vorsichtshalber schonmal eine zweite Identität aufbaut :lol: :rotfl:
den vorletzten post auf der Seite durchlesen, das mit dem 1ghz prozessor ist schon wieder vom tisch.
Es ging in erster Linie darum, ob von Seiten der Community überhaupt Interesse besteht. Hätten sich die meisten dagegen ausgesprochen, würden sich die Devs erst garkeine zusätzliche Arbeit machen. Nach all dem positiven Feedback, wissen sie jetzt das Interesse vorhanden ist! Ich finde es super von ED, dass er nicht von vornherein "waaHH! OhGotTohGOTt nee nicht noch meeEEhRr Arbeit für mich : o " sagt und dem ganzen offen gegenüber steht!!! Wieso gibts hir nur unnützliche Smilies?? und keinen, der mal mit dem Daumen nach oben zeigt? den würde ED jetzt von mir bekommen ;)

Ich habe mich lediglich (vllt. etwas zu euphorisch?? xD ) dazu geäußert, dass ich für ein Hardware update bin! Wann und wie ist mir völlig egal, ich werde mir so schnell wie möglich eine Pandora holen/vorbestellen, egal ob 600 Mhz oder 1GHz *pff* ; )

angebot:
okok4qh3.gif
heute für nur 3,95€, und ich lege sogar noch einen
ganjaks7v.gif
drauf
(ps: unter http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f211/tux-smilies-697018.html findet man ganz viele)

Back