Presentation software and projector usage?

rotorschnee

Still Fresh
Hello -

So, I got a presentation next week at the Southwest Texas Popular Culture and American Culture Associatin (wish me luck! going to be talking about the Italian gothic horror film "Castle of Blood" and be on a round table discussion of "Maniac" and "Don't Look in the Basement").

Anywho, I was thinking it would be kind of neat to give a presentation off my Pandora. In the past, and probably for this year, I just hooked up the ol' iMac to a projector, did Powerpoint and gave my presentation. So I was thinking, perhaps I could do it off the Pandora.

So, firstly, is there any presentation Software ported to Pandora yet? I looked at the wiki: http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects , but I didn't see anything immediantly. I guess in theory I could save all my slides as an image and project images instead as a thought. Google documents has a Presentation functionality, I've never used it and I could give it a shot - but not sure how well it works with Midori.

(I don't want my presentation to crrraaaaasssh!)

Secondly, outputting from the Pandora to a projector. I beleive this is a different question than the "is the TV out" ready yet. I am curious if there is a cable I could pick up to connect my Pandora to a normal projector - eg for our iMac we got a minidisplay to VGA adaptor. So any thoughts to cables/adaptors I could use, I'd be appreciative.

Trying to get more use out of my Pandora other than playing Cave Story and using ScummVM :lol:

Thanks!

Well, all the people using Linux Systems for presentations I have seen so far used PDFs created with LaTeX :unsure:

The only other presentation program I know is Open/LibreOffice Impress, don't know if someone already brought it to the Pandora.

And no, you can't get anything else than S-Video or Composite out of it, and those can't be converted to anything else without expensive active converters. If the projector does not have such an input you're pretty much out of luck, but they shouldn't be that uncommon among projectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
most projector should have a video in, so you could just use that. else you would need some svideo to vga adapter.

I dont know whats the status for presentation software, but i heard openoffice sorta work (tho its a bit slow), if you load it before hand, it should do the trick.

the safest way to avoid a crash would be to convert them to image and or html, and just run it in a stable browser in fullscreen (lightweight 2 should do fine).

Unfortunately I will not know the specs of the projector(s) until I get to the conference, so I'll assume it's a pretty normal projector made within the past 1-5 years.

Got any URLs you could share to cables that I could plug in chug into the Pandora and into Projector that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

well, the tvout cables are pretty much impossible to get right now. so no i dont have any link for that. (you need to make them yourself, i dont know all the specifics, but its related to a minimum order quantity for the connector and shizz like that.)

anyhow, its a real pain in the ass !.

in the next year, i could see that being easy to get. but for now, dont think about it too much !.

as an alternative, i remember seeing somewhere that someone got a usb videooutput to work with the pandora (vga port on an usb adapter, similar but probably not identical to http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/add-a-monitor-usb,1054.html )

now its all far away in my memory, so i dont have the link to the forum post or anything ><.

Thanks Jey!

The PDF idea was a good idea from Letalis. I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Well, I think for this presentation I'll table the thought of using the Pandora to present off of. That would've been really cool. Perhaps when the TV out device is made or If I want to use Jey's link for the USB to VGA adaptor (not sure if the Pandora would need device drivers or not).

But thank you both! B)

Back