Printer Support

DaMummy

Soldier Paste
has anyone been able to setup a printer to use with pandora, either throught usb or any wireless option? if so, what were your procedures?

Assuming things are the same as any other distro, usually these things don't require much setting up, in my experience. I have an Oki B430d (a laser printer) here that I could test, if that's of any interest.

What printer are you looking to set up?

EDIT: Ugh, scratch that. I just got a rude reminder of why I hate CUPS. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have a compile of CUPS that's configured to live in a PND, will release it as soon as I have my pandora back + time to test it.

It was on ED's desk a week ago, but haven't heard anything since.

Edit: Hmm... In my toolchain installation, I have a whole lot of cups files that doesn't match up with the time I compiled it, is this something included in the firmware or something just included in yactfeau? Could somebody try to go to localhost:631 in a webbrowser on the pandora?

It was on ED's desk a week ago, but haven't heard anything since.

Edit: Hmm... In my toolchain installation, I have a whole lot of cups files that doesn't match up with the time I compiled it, is this something included in the firmware or something just included in yactfeau? Could somebody try to go to localhost:631 in a webbrowser on the pandora?
I can do it for you,how do you do that,i'm using firefox 5.0 web browser.

I've just tried it. Unfortunately, it just gives me an "Unable to connect" message.

Can you still do it.

There was someone on this forum got it connected with wi-fi printer without doing anything,what you are saying doesn't look right.

He probably installed cups with the package manager. You can do that, but it will eat quite a lot of space from your NAND.
Can't i just connect it to wi-fi printer,there is already printer software already installed in pandora,i want connect it to wireless printer or using usb cable.

Can't i just connect it to wi-fi printer,
No.

This isn't magic.

there is already printer software already installed in pandora,
No. The very point made over the last several posts is that there is not.

i want connect it to wireless printer or using usb cable.
Then you'll have to run the risk of installing CUPS (that's short for Common Unix Printing System, and it's basically what allows printers to work on Linux and Mac OS X) from the Ångström repository, or wait for slaeshjag to be able to take a look at it.

I'm decently experienced with Linux, and I know I'd rather not deal with the hassle of the Ångström repo possibly causing problems for me. Going on your enormous number of previous help threads, I would strongly suggest that you don't mess with it.

but there is a Print options in the pandora webbrowsers and the text readers! this means there is printer software installed on pandora! youre probably just not clicking it right

In addition to cups, you also need a front-end (For example, KUPS for KDE) to interface with. Which is the GUI that pops up when you select print.

but there is a Print options in the pandora webbrowsers and the text readers! this means there is printer software installed on pandora! youre probably just not clicking it right

No, but there's libcups, the part of the printing system that all programs link to.

dont worry, im constantly STILL bothering slaeshjag about this

There seems to be a few libs missing from the NAND to make it possible to contain cups in a PND. I have successfully made cups run from a PND, and I was able to install a printer and print a test page from my pandora. However, no programs found the printer. If printing from the stock firmware ever becomes real, it will probably be in the form of a tutorial on how to install cups to NAND.

Back