GP2X Probably A Long Shot...

Bakuhatsu

Still Fresh
Hello, I'm new to these forums but have been interested in GP2X for a while now.
I am mid way through developing a 2D game using the blitzmax language and I have a question that I am pretty sure I can predict the answer to...
Blitzmax can compile games for Linux, but uses OpenGL for the graphics functions (even though it is only for 2D) basically I'm wondering if there is any hope in hell of getting my project running on this wonderful little machine or will I have to re-do it in SDL?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello, I'm new to these forums but have been interested in GP2X for a while now.
I am mid way through developing a 2D game using the blitzmax language and I have a question that I am pretty sure I can predict the answer to...
Blitzmax can compile games for Linux, but uses OpenGL for the graphics functions (even though it is only for 2D) basically I'm wondering if there is any hope in hell of getting my project running on this wonderful little machine or will I have to re-do it in SDL?

Thanks in advance :)

Maybe you could contact the Blitzmax developers and see whether they would be interested in developing a feature to allow compiling to the GP2X Linux? Giving their users the option to develop for an up and coming handheld would be attractive I'm sure ;)

Edit: Actually there has been some discussion of Blitz for GP2X on the forums already. I think the main concern still is having Blitz compile to ARM, but it does seem like this could happen eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you could contact the Blitzmax developers and see whether they would be interested in developing a feature to allow compiling to the GP2X Linux? Giving their users the option to develop for an up and coming handheld would be attractive I'm sure ;)
The Blitzmax community is huuuuuuge so I really think it'd be great to merge the two :)
After GPH's claims of how easy it is to port linux apps I think I will contact the guys at Blitz to see if they can do anything :D

The only downside is if GP2X can't run OpenGL apps...

EDIT:
Actually there has been some discussion of Blitz for GP2X on the forums already. I think the main concern still is having Blitz compile to ARM, but it does seem like this could happen eventually.
I have sent the email...lets hope they like the idea!

BlitzMax is aimed at 3D accelerated hardware, which is not what the GP2X is. Yes, they have a Linux version, but that would be for x86 Linux. They would have to rewrite the compiler so it output ARM code. That would be a major expense for them for a very small potential market.

There is no OpenGL support for the GP2X. There is a possibility of one day having OpenGL ES support in the form of a software renderer (Vincent is one candidate for a renderer), but that does not provide full OpenGL support.

BlitzMax is aimed at 3D accelerated hardware, which is not what the GP2X is. Yes, they have a Linux version, but that would be for x86 Linux. They would have to rewrite the compiler so it output ARM code. That would be a major expense for them for a very small potential market.

There is no OpenGL support for the GP2X. There is a possibility of one day having OpenGL ES support in the form of a software renderer (Vincent is one candidate for a renderer), but that does not provide full OpenGL support.
Fair enough, that is what I expected but I thought I'd check it out anyhow. Thanks.

My mistake, I was under the impression it was just a newer version of Blitz Basic and was used by many for 2D stuff as well. Durn, things was much simpler back in the ol' Amiga days ;)

Back