Problem With Single Apostrophe On The Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karel Jansens

Website
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the forum now translates the single apostrophe into a double one? I cannot type it, because... well, it gets transformed, but if you type a single apostrophe in the edit window and hit "preview post", it suddenly becomes a double apostrophe. It is retroactive as well, in all posts on the forum that I checked.

I just noticed that this does not happen with the deadkey "accent aigu" -- or: ´ -- but it really is a bit of a pain having to use that one.

'test'
Hm.. you're right. That was written with single apostrophes.

EDIT: Look now.. If I edit an old post the apostrophes gets re-doubled _again_....!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe something is wrong with the 'tubes'.

My guess: SQL injection attack brought the board down somehow. Probably involving an unescaped single quote. While the root cause is investigated, they probably put in a (hopefully) temporary fix to double up the single quotes to prevent the same attack from happening again.

Reposting here for better notice:
'Eolair' said:
''''''''joa'''''''' said:
link your link is broken.
The forum still needs a couple of bug fixes it seems. Right now it adds "http://www.gp32x.de/board/%5C%22" to all links that you post. Just remove it manually until they can fix it.

Because of the apostrophe problem, I am thinking that it was not an attack at all, but someone upgrade to a newer version of PHP which did not have magic quotes enabled. Thus, breaking the boards ability to form SQL queries. Now that someone figured out that magic quotes was off and fixed the query builder, they need to remove all of the magic quote fixup code thus all the apostrophe and backslash issues.

\test\

IT FILT ME UP OF BACKSLASHES! BACKSLASHES AREN''T GOOD FOODS!

Edit:

ARGH, MY APOSTROPHE!

Edit 2:

Seems we don't get BBcode anymore. Oh well. :p

Edit 3:

I wonder if we can create proper contractions with the grave accent. Or maybe we can`t.

\test\

IT FILT ME UP OF BACKSLASHES! BACKSLASHES AREN:T GOOD FOODS!

Edit:

ARGH, MY APOSTROPHE!

Edit 2:

Seems we don:t get BBcode anymore. Oh well. :p

Edit 3:

I wonder if we can create proper contractions with the grave accent. Or maybe we can`t.

Ampersand numbersign three nine semicolon
& # 3 9 ;
'

(just remember that Preview will convert the code to an apostrophe again, so you have to either not preview or change them to the code after you're done previewing.

Also 58 for colons, but it creates regular emoticons instead of the silly webforum pictures. :p

And using ampersand codes does not fix the bbcode problem. :(

(or wait like another half hour for them to fix the problem on the server)

Aren't don't isn't wasn't can't weren't weren't wouldn't doesn't hasn't haven't couldn't I'll you'll he'll she'll they'll I'm you're who's he's she's it's we're they're.

A list of nono words for y'all. Hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back