Problems with multiple GP's?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
I'm sure it'll be something talked about over the next few days as peopel get their FLU-equipped GP32 :) My frontlit unit is sitting on my doorstep at home right now..

Issues I'm aware of are that JoyGP won't work, since it 'crypts each game download for a specific GP32 unit, since most people have only one unit. For me this is annoying though, so I'll probably buy games on SMC from Lik-sang or whatever.. I dislike encouraging encryption. What if you break your unit, etc..

What other issues will I encounter? ie: Does the Free Launcher or GamePark install tool thing care about the GP32 unit ID? ie: Can I use the SMC cards I've assembled with both units?I know the commercial games are fine.

Commercial is good then; MoviePark is probably crypted as well?

So sounds like a mixed bag.. probably the emus and such are fine (I'm betting Free Launcher should be okay), commercial games okay on SMC.. but MoviePark and JoyGP won't be happy.

Annoying :/

Anyone know for sure?

jeff

Actually, even freelauncher is encrypted and will only work on the original one. you'll have to download it again. The only commercial stuff which will work on your new GP32 is SMC based stuff...

Can you not run the Registration tool again with you new GP32 details and download?

and then register back to your old GP32 or whatever?

Would this just be a problem just for people that owned a previous GP32, because the light one is my first? Please answer(sp?) because you've got me worride...

I believe you can download the registration tool and use that again, registering your account under a new GP32.

Then redownload the files required. (However you will probably have to reregister your gp32 for both Entware and GP32.com)
I can't verify this, so maybe skeezix can try it?

- Rico

Garg, so if Free Launcher is 'crypted (why?!) it'll be a drag.. since no way I'll keep two SMC's, and no easy way to swap Free Launchers on a per-unit basis magicly, I'll end up with two SMCs.. one for each unit. I guess I'll sell the old unit, then :/ Sucks.

Silly UPS didn't leave the package, so I have to hang around all day tomorrow waiting for them to try again. I prefer FedEx where I can go pick i up until like 10pm, if I miss the delivery (like most normal people do).

jeff

A couple of thoughts for you:

For Freelauncher... my suggestion would be to flash your firmwares to Mr. Spiv's Multi-Firmware... then boot directly into windups. You will need Windups installed on each SMC, but then you don't need Freelauncher, and windups should run on either GP32 this way. As an alternative, no idea if it will work: After you have installed freelauncher on an SMC, can you change the filename on the SMC and still have it work? If so you could install freelauncher encoded for GP32 A, change the name, then install freelauncher encoded for GP32 B. If you try this let us know if it works... probably won't as that would be too easy.

About encryption, if someone has a better way to do this I would love to know it and hopefully it will be used in the future. But I do like the fact that the GP32 has an ID and can have commercial games encrypted to run only on it. Without this feature MegaGP/JoyGP would not even be possible, and I love the fact that something like this is available for the GP32.

My two cents anyway...

Back