Production status and upgrade cost to 1GHz if you have not yet received Pandora...

zounder1

Still Fresh
Soooo, it has been a long time since there was an official post on the forums. And the existing posts are multi-page monstrosities which are a disaster to try and piece together any official information.

So two questions.

1) Where are we with shipping out Pandoras to first batch orderers? How many units (approximately) are left to ship? I ordered Dec 2009 and have no idea how things are progressing with the original orders.

2) What is the cost for me to upgrade to a 1GHz unit? Craig's post talks about two options. (1) Buy a new unit. (2) Upgrade a unit you have already received by sending it back. Um, what about folks like me that have not received anything yet? OP has not sunk any money into a unit for me so I would hope there is an option (3) available for folks that have never seen anything ever arrive.

Thanks.

2. Information can be found here

$700 for a new one.

$500 to replace your "current" one

2. Information can be found here http://boards.openpa...ards-fancy-one/

$700 for a new one.

$500 to replace your "current" one
No, you misunderstood my reason for needing an option 3. Option two lets you send in your used Pandora and upgrade to this 1GHz model. Those folks had the benefit of actually using and enjoying a Pandora. Those folks also cost OP money as they had to produce a unit for those users. OP has not spent a penny making me a Pandora. So it seems highly unfair that I would have to pay the exact same amount as someone that received a Pandora already.

Here's my math to make it clear:

Cost to make original Pandora = CM1

Costs to purchase original Pandora = CP1

Cost to make new Pandora = CM2

Costs to upgrade to new Pandora = CP2

For folks that have received the Pandora here is the "profit" for OP. (I use quotes as profit may not exist.)

CP1 - CM1 + CP2 - CM2 = X

For folks that have NOT received the Pandora here is the "profit" for OP.

CP1 - 0 + CP2 - CM2 = Y

Simple math shows that Y is much bigger than X as OP has not sunk any material cost into producing my original Pandora yet.

In my opinion X and Y should be exactly the same, which means CP2 needs to be less for folks in my situation. Otherwise I am getting a very unfair deal.

So my question still stands. What is the cost for me a user that has NOT received a Pandora for upgrading to 1GHz??

So I would hope there is an option 3 for those that have never ever received their Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the bottom of Craig's post there's this:

If you have a preorder waiting to be shipped you can upgrade to the 1Ghz units by paying the difference.
Hope that helps.

The price of the 1GHz units has been discussed in great detail in that thread too

Regarding option 2)(3):

In the mail I received from ED when my classic pre-order was ready to be shipped, he noted that it would cost me €250 + 19% VAT to upgrade to a 1GHz unit instead. I originally payed €299 for my pre-order. I would guess the prices are the same for Craig and depend on how much you payed when you pre-ordered.

Thanks for both of your replies. That makes sense and is a lot clearer. I doubt I would have noticed Craig's little comment about the upgrade cost for people still waiting for their Pandora. It is difficult to find official confirmation on how this works - there a so many comments and threads on this site that I can't keep up with the posts and what is actually happening.

Thanks again.

Thanks for both of your replies. That makes sense and is a lot clearer. I doubt I would have noticed Craig's little comment about the upgrade cost for people still waiting for their Pandora. It is difficult to find official confirmation on how this works - there a so many comments and threads on this site that I can't keep up with the posts and what is actually happening.

Thanks again.

I guess you already got your answer, but from the other 1GHz threads, it sounds like if you paid $330 for your pre-order, then you only have to pay $699 - $330 to upgrade. Just send Jacquelynn an email and ask about it.

This is correct, I'll make it more clear in the pinned post.

We are emailing each person to check what they want to do as we come to ship their order anyway, so you would have been asked before we shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back